RLI Biosyn 5w-30, 08 Acadia 3.6, 4107 on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is the last 5 oil analysis from our 08 GMC Acadia with the 3.6l VVT engine. It seems that this engine is hard on oil. I started out and ran the original oil to 500 miles, drained it and changed the filter over to the EaO47 filter, (yes that filter is no longer recommened for this engine) Then I installed Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, ran for 1500 miles drained the oil and kept the EaO filter on, then ran PP again for another 3k miles. Then I installed a new EaO47, and filled with Biosyn 5w-30, ran that for 5k miles and that is where you can see I started the samples at the bottom and they work their way up. I changed just the oil again per Terry Dyson's requests and ran another 5k miles. This time I changed the oil and filter and ran it to 5,809. This sample had a partial EaO filter on it when I found out from AMSOIL to take it off so I installed a K&N HP1017 oil filter. The next to last oil sample was run on Rotella 10w-30 oil and a K&N oil filter as well. The last oil sample was run on Biosyn 5w-30 and an AC Delco oil filter. I have also changed out the air filter twice and ran just an STP10110 air filter. No additives to the oil. Oh also the last sample was ran with .5qts over filled sump. The book calls for 5.5qts and I ran a straight 6qts. This engine see's a lot of short distance driving along with some major 70 mile interstate runs a few times a month. Just regular octane fuel is used. I wonder why there are not more of the 3.6 VVT Acadia, Enclave, Outlook oil samples on here. For anyone that is running longer than 5k oil drains they might think twice. This engine really kills its oil.

Last edited:
Wow, you aren't kidding about this motor abusing the oil! With the TAN that high and the TBN that low, I'm amazed that soft metals were in fact down significantly in your most recent report.

It also looks like you have gotten your money's worth through these UOA's. I would have assumed any motor in a regular passenger vehicle could easily go over 5000 miles on all synthetics and most conventionals, your reports have shown that would be a mistake in your application.

What's the plan for the future? What oil, what filter, what change interval?

I have the same year and model of Acadia. I havent done a UOA yet, but now that you sent this one with the higher wear metals I will get one done on my next change. I have ran the factory fill 3000 miles, filled with Valvoline Convential, ran for another 3000 miles, filled with Quaker State Q-HP ran for 5000. I ran Mobil-1 0W-30 AFE this winter 6000 miles and now have Quaker State Q-HP in there. I have used AC/Delco, Purolater PureOne and SuperTech filters (same as the OEM).

I plan on settling in at OCIs between 6000-7000 but will check the UOA before going too much over 6000 miles.

Thanks for the info. I will pay special attention to the high lead. Have you thought about running GC 0W-30 in this engine to address the high FE counts ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Rat407-- Is this the direct injected version of the 3.6l engine?

No this is not the DI engine. Wish it was.

Originally Posted By: nicrfe1370
Wow, you aren't kidding about this motor abusing the oil! With the TAN that high and the TBN that low, I'm amazed that soft metals were in fact down significantly in your most recent report.

It also looks like you have gotten your money's worth through these UOA's. I would have assumed any motor in a regular passenger vehicle could easily go over 5000 miles on all synthetics and most conventionals, your reports have shown that would be a mistake in your application.

What's the plan for the future? What oil, what filter, what change interval?

I plan on going to the RLI Biosyn 0w-30 next. Terry said it was a better oil with a heavier add package. Also will be going to a Mann ML1030 oil filter to see how it does.

I didn't post my UOA, but I will after I change this week and send of a sample. I currently have Castrol GTX 5w30 at 5K miles. I think you saw my first UOA on the Acadia Forum. Stay tuned....

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
what did you OLM say?

The OLM was at 62%. I think at the 5k mile it was down to 55%.

wow you changed to many variables here, diff oils and filters

looks like engine is broken in and wear settled down...

Try to stick with one oil/filter combo for a bit and see what happens.

I think GC might work well here as well.

What gets me is the oil filter on these engines. AMSOIL is up on there stuff and it the filter that they spec'ed for this application was having issues and they recommened pulling it, then what is it with the VVT oil system on this that is causing issues with the filters. This engine is made in a different assembly plant than the engine in the CTS and you don't hear any issues, at least I haven't with the CTS engine. I cut open the EaO filter when I did pull it off and didn't see anyting out of the ordinary.

Also thinking that the oil isn't staying in the pan long enough to get the air out. I feel the sump isn't large enough. Since this last analysis did well when I over filled it.

Originally Posted By: zoomzoom
I think GC might work well here as well.

And similarly what do you think about using ESSO XD 0W30 (for us Canadians) in this engine and its successor, the 09 DI version?

To me, overall, the Rotella 10W-30 appears to have produced comparable results to the RLI oil. Longer drain capably oil will provide a margin of safety from a TBN perspective but TAN must also stay healthy.

I do find the TAN too high to believe on the last run. Only if it is crazy high again will I believe it.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I do find the TAN too high to believe on the last run. Only if it is crazy high again will I believe it.

Especially since the CA level from this sample was still over 2000. The CA should lower the TAN levels.

That's why some of us have to change the oil more frequently than othan others. Just tailor your oci to your vehicle and you should be O.K..

NO, he's saying stick with the same oil/filter combo to get a baseline.

You can't decide anything if you keep changing oils each time and look at the UOA. You need at least three runs on the same oil to get a baseline.

People who run a different oil each time and post a UOA are just kidding themselves. You can't make a decision based on vascillations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back