Goodyear Viva 2 Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Walmart today and saw these on the rack-- Goodyear Viva 2 Tires. They are S-rated and carry a 60,000 mile warranty. They are the only tires that my local Walmart keeps in stock.

Does anyone have any experience with these tires? At one point, I had a set of Goodyear Allegra tires (Sam's Club) on my Saturn and they were OK.

Thanks.

Put a set on my Montana van and they only lasted 30k miles before the tread separated on one. Walmart then stiffed me on the tire warranty (bought road hazard) They wanted more $$ for a replacement than original price. Goodyear DOES NOT warranty the Viva 2 tires sold at Walmart. The warranty is from Walmart and they don't even give you a copy of it. Try asking them for the warranty papers. At 30k the tires were nearly worn out, so I bought Michelins at Sam's after the bad experience. Average tires at an average price. Nothing to write home about. Spend a little more and get much better tires.

Last edited:
I had a set on my '97 Astro-they really didn't wear very well, they went with the van when I sold it. I'm not a huge fan of Goodyear tires, & the Viva 2 might be the worst one. IMHO, anything by BF Goodrich/Michelin, Bridgestone (NOT Firestone!), even Toyo or Kumho (if you're on a budget) would be better.

I have a set on a Ford Windstar with about 20,000 miles on them. Only 2 are original and they are about 1/2 wore out. The other 2 have developed an extremely bumpy ride and was told they were defective. One tire at 10,000 and the other at 16,000. It now feels like I may have a third tire starting to bump. They have replaced them for a $10.00 road hazard on the new tires. I do not have any plans of buying them again. They would have to be dirt cheap.

Probably nothing more than an Integrity with a slightly different tread design.

And we all know how unimpressive that the Integrity is.

I think there are better (much better?) options out there than this.

What size and what are you putting it on?

My dad's 92 Toyota Previa minivan is due for tires in the near future. I currently have a set of Michelin X-Radial tires on there, where we are very satisfied with. They have 45k on them with 5/32 left. The size is P215/65-15 with an "S" speed rating.

Since the van is getting old, I was looking for a less expensive choice. Perhaps I should just stick with the Michelins?

We have Integrety on the rear and Viva 2 on the front of our impala. Both suck. We slid through an intersection in the rain once or twice. That made up my mind to go with something else. I'm never buying Goodyear again.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
My dad's 92 Toyota Previa minivan is due for tires in the near future. I currently have a set of Michelin X-Radial tires on there, where we are very satisfied with. They have 45k on them with 5/32 left. The size is P215/65-15 with an "S" speed rating.

Since the van is getting old, I was looking for a less expensive choice. Perhaps I should just stick with the Michelins?

How about a much better choice from Tire Rack, and then let Wal-Mart mount and balance them for you?

For less than $70 a tire, TireRack has some nice choices... BFG Traction T/A, General Altimax RT, Yoko Avids...

I bought a set of the Traction T/A's and are very pleased with them. I consider them a poor man's Michelin.

For less than $70 a tire, TireRack has some nice choices...

I second that. I might not want to spend the money for the Michelins on a van that old, but it's not like the Viva 2 is the only cheap tire out there...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Bridgestone (NOT Firestone!)
Bridgestone has plants that make both products on the same production lines. I'm not a Firestone lover, but am not sure the current products have the same problems as the old. My wife's car has their Firehawk GT, a 225/50R17 94V tire. They are almost new (on a used car we bought) and have no obvious problems as yet, 5k miles. I hope they are better than the Firestone 500 set I had replaced by the 721 set ... IIRC, 11 tires in warrantee before they wore out.

I know a Cavalier that has them right now...doesn't look like they will make 40k.

I almost bought them for my car....

Don't mess with goodyear, get michelin. The viva 2's do not wear good, and are loud when you first put them on.

IIRC, the Viva 2 is basically the Regatta 2 (Goodyear) of old and the Allegra (Sam's Club). They all have the same basic tread design.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
IIRC, the Viva 2 is basically the Regatta 2 (Goodyear) of old and the Allegra (Sam's Club). They all have the same basic tread design.

That explains a lot....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: wantin150

That explains a lot....

I used to have a set on the Saturn. They were the Goodyear "Allegra" tires from Sam's Club. They lasted 38k, which isn't bad at all considering that it was mostly city driving. However, the current set of Michelin Hydroedge tires have 8/32 left after 28k, so go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back