Toyota Red or old green antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 Toyota Corolla DX,1.8,112K miles
The antifreeze in it now is a caramel color,probably Toyota Red.I don't have an owners manual so I called Toyota and they said to "only" use Toyota Red in it! Is this true or can I use the old green antifreeze,or even the new "all makes" brand?
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
1996 Toyota Corolla DX,1.8,112K miles
The antifreeze in it now is a caramel color,probably Toyota Red.I don't have an owners manual so I called Toyota and they said to "only" use Toyota Red in it! Is this true or can I use the old green antifreeze,or even the new "all makes" brand?
34.gif

As long as whatever you choose is "silicate-free", you should be fine.

i would personally stick with the toyota red...but if price really drives you find a coolant that is silicate and borate free. either way i would flush the system very well before putting the new stuff in

search toyota red coolant and a thread i started should show up there were some good reccomendations there

Last edited:
Toyota Red and old green are not extended life coolants. Toyota pink is only available as 50/50 and since you have to flush and fill, not a good choice and $20. I would use Prestone Radiator Flush to clean and fill with Peak Global Lifetime Conc and distilled water. Walgreens usually carries Peak but if you can't find it the "all makes" will do.

If old green means traditional North American coolant, it has a high level of silicates and the wrong pH for an aluminum engine. I would avoid it. All the Japanese manufacturers emphatically recommend silicate free coolant.

Some Japanese coolants are green (like Mazda extended life FL22 coolant and Mazda "regular" long life coolant) but as far as I know none of these coolants are available in the aftermarket; they are only dealer branded products.

I'm going to flush the system with Preston Super Cleaner then go back with the old green type antifreeze.

Not a good choice. You should always stick with the Toyota Red coolant, which is a long life coolant. It has something to do with the compatibility between the two types of coolant. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Amkeer
I'm going to flush the system with Preston Super Cleaner then go back with the old green type antifreeze.

Not a good choice. You should always stick with the Toyota Red coolant, which is a long life coolant. It has something to do with the compatibility between the two types of coolant. Good luck.
I don't believe Toyota red is a long life coolant.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why not G-05?

What is G-05?
21.gif

G-05 is factory fill for Ford and Chrysler vehicles. Its long life, and has none of the problems that Dex-Cool has (or its clones). It has no 2-EHA (which may damage some gaskets). Zerex makes it and should be available at NAPA.

Its compatible with Dex-Cool and the old green coolant, so you can convert either to G-05 and not need to get 100% of the old coolant out.

Except for people under a GM warranty, unsure why everyone does not use G-05.

Originally Posted By: ponderosaTX
If old green means traditional North American coolant, it has a high level of silicates and the wrong pH for an aluminum engine. I would avoid it. All the Japanese manufacturers emphatically recommend silicate free coolant.

Some Japanese coolants are green (like Mazda extended life FL22 coolant and Mazda "regular" long life coolant) but as far as I know none of these coolants are available in the aftermarket; they are only dealer branded products.

Most of the old green antifreeze is now much lower in silicates than it was 10 or 20 years ago. Peak old green says it protects aluminum (on their website).

Ok guys,i'm confused on what to put back in the Yota now.Can someone please suggest what I shoould go with? At the moment i'm leaning towards Prestone all makes......
21.gif

Ok guys,i'm confused on what to put back in the Yota now.Can someone please suggest what I shoould go with? At the moment i'm leaning towards Prestone all makes......
21.gif

Toyota red.

I beleive it still comes full strength, so you'd have to mix 50% distilled water with it. It also means you don't need to buy as much, as the toyota pink is deluted already for you.
If you stick with the toyota red, you won't necessarily need to do a flush unless you want to. Go with another green fluid, and you'll have to do a flush.

If it was my car, i would do a drain and fill now then again at the next OCI. Then maybe again at the next. IMO anyway.

I say stick with OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back