GM Goodwrench motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know who makes this oil for GM? I've heard it is Mobil, which would make sense with GM's obvious association with Mobil 1, but this was just a rumor that I heard. GM doesn't seem to go to the trouble of putting the GM logo on the synthetic, just the conventional. GM dealerships just stock Mobil 1 for their synthetic, but carry GM Goodwrench 5w30 conventional in bulk and in quart bottles.

It's a darn good oil... I had a thread a while back where I told everyone that my aunt forgot to change the oil in her Sunfire and drove on GM Good Wrench oil for 30,000KM (18,000 Miles) and although it came out thick, the engine survived and it is still running fine.

wink.gif

Mr. Goodwrench Oil is relabeled Mobil DriveClean which was the predecessor to MobilClean 5000. MobilClean 5000 has 16% more cleaning ingredients. Mobil DriveClean is only being distributed through bulk outlets now.

Mobil DriveClean is the GF-4 reference oil used in GM engine testing and OLM calibration for the non-synthetic applications not required to meet the GM 4718M specification.

Consider MobilClean 5000 to be the "new and improved" version, as it is superior to Mr. Goodwrench Oil.

Now, it is still unclear whether the MobilClean 5000 is group II+ or Group III as some have suggested here.

No need to spend extra on the Mr. Goodwrench Oil when MobilClean 5000 is available for $10-11/5qt jug at WM.

Take care,
Gary

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
Mr. Goodwrench Oil is relabeled Mobil DriveClean which was the predecessor to MobilClean 5000. MobilClean 5000 has 16% more cleaning ingredients. Mobil DriveClean is only being distributed through bulk outlets now.

Mobil DriveClean is the GF-4 reference oil used in GM engine testing and OLM calibration for the non-synthetic applications not required to meet the GM 4718M specification.

Consider MobilClean 5000 to be the "new and improved" version, as it is superior to Mr. Goodwrench Oil.

Now, it is still unclear whether the MobilClean 5000 is group II+ or Group III as some have suggested here.

No need to spend extra on the Mr. Goodwrench Oil when MobilClean 5000 is available for $10-11/5qt jug at WM.

Take care,
Gary

That's what I thought I heard too...it would make sense.

I can't thonk of anyone else who would make it.....

So...some think DC5000 is a Grp 3? I would be shocked, considering the price, but if someone could show me it is, I would clean out every WM around...

Mobil says in their FAQ that they supply "some" Mr Goodwrench oils, so it is not exactly a secret. Mobil said that doing that is normal industry practice, meaning that just about every oil major oil company does the same.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
So...some think DC5000 is a Grp 3? I would be shocked, considering the price, but if someone could show me it is, I would clean out every WM around...

IF it had Grp III, I would think it is blended with plenty of Grp II/II+. Remember, TropArtic, etc are marketed as a syn blend, containing some Grp III, and they are reasonably priced.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
IF it had Grp III, I would think it is blended with plenty of Grp II/II+. Remember, TropArtic, etc are marketed as a syn blend, containing some Grp III, and they are reasonably priced.

Just about all Phillips 66 motor oils are branded as TropArtic, including conventional, synthetic blend, full synthetic, high mileage synthetic blend oil, racing oil, and turbo motor oil.
http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/brands-products/phillips_66_brand/engine_oils.aspx

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I never see 66 around here...wonder if that is an area thing....

I don't think very many retail stores (other than 66 gas stations) carry it.

I used to do the oil changes at our local Chevy dealer, and the bulk 5w30 that we used was Citgo 5w30. I asked the service mgr. one time why not the Goodwrench oil, and I got the answer I expected, the Citgo was the cheapest he could find! They did have us add Krex graphite treatment at each change... The Ford dealer I also worked at (same guy owned both dealerships) did have us use Motorcraft oil and filters with no additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back