Increasing octane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be tough on your plastic fuel tanks and fuel lines since it dissolves many plastics. Nalgene bottles can't even stand up to it.

I have a feeling the EPA wouldn't like it either since it likes to stay dissolved in water.

Last edited:
LOL! As if acetone gonna save the world and provide out-of-this-world octane boosting effect.

Either you've been spending too much of your time surfing the internet on this said subject matter (and been brainwashed into believing that), or just falling into hearsay......

2 counterpoints here:

(1)even if Acetone can be used to boost octane points, chances are, you need to add a large amount of it in order to bring your full tank of automotive gas up several points...and given the current price (just regular retail, nothing fancy)of Acetone, you'll have to spend a whole lot of mullahs in order to achieve the same results as compared to pump gas of the same octane rating, which most likely turned out to be much cheaper than you playing chemist.

(2) Nyquist is correct that too much of Acetone will melt your plastic components inside your fuel system, or even attack various elastomeric components such as fuel-line o-rings, gaskets, etc. that would otherwise be fuel-resistant...

Lastly: do you know that Acetone is such as strong solvent that it can use for dissolving otherwise hardened epoxy?

please do so at your own discretion

19.gif

Q.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I've heard that adding Acetone to gas will increase octane. Any negative side effects?

Ive mixed toluene and xylene with pump gas with no issues and outstanding performance increases in FI. Xylene did though the CEL once, but Toluene was fine. For your money though mixinng unleaded race gas at 100AKI with pump is effective and better on your fuel system.

If you read the MSDS on most fuels Toluene is already in there for octane purposes, so its fine mixing in. Some Supra Turbo guys will run 100%, sith SS fuel tanks and lines. F1 used it 100$ during the turbo days. They heated the fuel tanks with hot water as cold starting was an issue and Ive had that problem. Does start though. Ive gotten 32MPG out of my EVO tuned to 400whp, but it was really cold out and cars power dropped quite a bit because of the temp. Had to run super lean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back