Aircraft oils on cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
A lubricating oil composition for jet engines consisting essentially of a major portion of a synthetic base oil consisting of mono- and di-pentaerythritol esters of C.sub.5 to C.sub.10 straight and branched chain hydrocarbon monocarboxylic acid or mixtures thereof, from 4 to 8 weight percent of methyl phenyl silicone having a kinematic viscosity of 75 to 500 centistokes at 25.degree. C., from 0.5 to 5 weight percent of a phosphate antiwear agent, from 0.5 to 5 weight percent of a secondary aryl amine antioxidant and from 0.01 to 0.5 weight percent of 1,4-dihydroxy anthraquinone a metal deactivator.

This is a quote from a patent application. You attempted to rationalize that the additive chemistry in JTO was suitable for PCMO and showed a lack of undrstanding as to additives, types of additive, and their applications.

Quote:
MolaKule, here is a PDF on how to calculate engine temperature:

Thanks, but these powerpoint slides do not go into the detail as do my graduate texts.

Quote:
If the jet oil is thick enough to lubricate a turbine fan turning at 60K rpm while putting out over 100,000lb of thrust in extreme temperature then it is thick enough for a regular passenger car or truck. From 941848

This was the start of the original discussion. This shows a total lack of understanding regarding mechanical loading, types of bearings, and type of operation.

Quote:
Jet engine oil do not see combustion gases and this is why they last so long. 941855

You must forget what you say, since for the last two weeks you have trying to convince everyone they do.

Quote:
Actually 23699 oils contain 2-3% of TCP, which translates to about 0.2-0.3% of P. This is an anti-wear additive but not generally considered EP.

23699 oils are a 0W-10 grade and contain no detergents. They are great for the very high and low temperatures encountered in jet engines, but are not suitable for car engines. You might get away with adding a quart for a short cleaning run, but you would be diluting other critical additives and I would be somewhat concerned about the seals. I've had lots of access to these oils and never considered adding any to my car. 1387677

Other people have chimed in as well about this topic but it is your vehicle and they have stated it is an unnecessary risk.

Quote:
They don't come in contact with combustion gasses, sludge, etc. Turbine engine oils oil come in contact with roller and ball bearings, gears. One of its main functions is cooling.

Quote:
Where in the jet engine does the oil see the flame of combustion?

Quote:
BTW, jet oil do come into contact with combustion gases due to engine loosing its tolerances.

I never said I didn't understand the subject, I simply wanted you to prove your case, and in a properly running and maintained axial flow JT (original subject engine), it doesn't. What part of "flame of combustion" do you not understand?

Quote:
Concentrating on the sump/dry cavity area for a moment, how can this happen if a postive pressure in the dry cavity is greater than the sump pressure? The whole point of a differential pressure across the seals is to contain the the oil in the wet sump.

Still wating to see if you understand this point.

Quote:
At reverse thrust, the exhaust gas temperature from a JT9D turbofan exhaust nozzle with an intake air temp of 59 F, is around 400 F, and there will be a lot of turbulent mixing with the 59 F air as the air comes around to the Fan, so I seriously doubt the intake air temp to the fan or first stage compressor is 400 F.

Quote:
Let's try to stay on topic here. Using the JT9D as our basis for discussion, and using 59 F as the ambient temperature, the last HPC stage temp and the combustor inlet temp will be about 850 F, the flame temp out of the combustor will be 1970 F, the HP turbine inlet temp will be about 1900 F, the LP turbine inlet temp will be about 850F so the nozzle temp will be 400 F. Energy is extracted by the LP turbine so the temp drops across the LP turbine due to thermodynamic principles. So if the nozzle air temp is 400, there is no way the fan inlet temp can be 400 F after mixing. AGain, you are assuming that most if not all of the exhaust gasses get back to the fan stage.

The reason I chose the JT9D and the stated starting conditions was because the JT9D is a classic textbook example on the Thermodynamics of jet turbine propulsion and was used as an example to focus on the immediate topic at hand.

Just in case it has not been mentioned in the last 9 pages polyol ester based turbine lube will destroy automotive ( nitrile ) seals .

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

The reason I chose the JT9D and the stated starting conditions was because the JT9D is a classic textbook example on the Thermodynamics of jet turbine propulsion and was used as an example to focus on the immediate topic at hand.

The problem here is the text book you were taught with does not deal with corner cases nor real life non-typical applications such as the M1 tank example. I have already said that if every thing is working per design then we would not have this discussion, i.e. there should be no oil contamination. You are trying to apply what you have learned with the JT9D is basic turbine application at best since there are a lot more advances in turbine technology than the JT9D, some of which are classified. Also, your inexperience with military usage and the abnormal conditions that they operate in is exaggerating the discussion. In the commercial world, the Rolls Royce service bulletin shows that reverse thrust can destroy a LP compressor at and inside the front of the engine. Did your text book even mention that fact?

Exhaust contamination is due to the borderline conditions that the engine was designed for such as worn bearings and seals caused by non-typical usage, i.e. war time. In war time anything and everything go and pilots do not check gauges and warning lights when there are people shooting at them. Since you have never worked on an engine that have suffered lubrication failure you can not visualized how it could happened. You also have not seen the Army's data base of turbine oil analysis so you would not know that such contamination existed. Your infatuation with the JT9D based on your limited college education shows that you don't even know how to calculate the nozzle temperature and it is not 400F per your post for all turbine engines. My data is based on my years of witnessing engine qualification and repairing them, and from the manufacturer data package.

I've never advocate running jet oil by themselves in an internal combustion engine such as a normal passenger car. I am saying that a small percentage blend is not going to kill your car. Redline oil is blended using POE and it is not killing any car that I know of, and neither has Redline. In my case it has help with my fuel economy with no problem that I can see or detect via UOA. Plus I get it for free.

By the way, the patent for jet oil is part of the data package from the manufacturer. I have been to PDR and CDR where the manufacturers would pull out one patent after another to showcase their technologies. I do have the actual additive list from the manufacturer but I can not post it here due to the NDA.

07.gif
grin2.gif

Quote:
AZ: You are trying to apply what you have learned with the JT9D is basic turbine application at best since there are a lot more advances in turbine technology than the JT9D, some of which are classified. Also, your inexperience with military usage and the abnormal conditions that they operate in is exaggerating the discussion.

I know I shouldn't have even mentioned these newer JT designs stated below.

Quote:
MOLA: In an AXIAL flow jet turbine operating normally (such as the P&W100 or PW6000 or JT15, GE F101 or CFM56-5, or RollsRoyce Trent or RB211 or Williams FJ44-1A), how do the combustor gasses get into the lubrication system, barring any catastrophic failures.

Quote:
AZ: Also, your inexperience with military usage and the abnormal conditions that they operate in is exaggerating the discussion.

For a while there I thought you were clairvoyant, but since I have experience with the B-52, B-2 ,F-15, and F-18 aircraft and engines I see that you are not.

Quote:
I do have the actual additive list from the manufacturer but I can not post it here due to the NDA.

Yes, definately stay within the language of your NDA.

Quote:
Redline oil is blended using POE and it is not killing any car that I know of, and neither has Redline.

But do you know for certain that Redline contains the same POE's as does the JTO?

Quote:
Exhaust contamination is due to the borderline conditions that the engine was designed for such as worn bearings and seals caused by non-typical usage, i.e. war time.

Quote:
Exhaust contamination is due to the borderline conditions that the engine was designed for such as worn bearings and seals caused by non-typical usage, i.e. war time.

Engines are designed to take only so much battle damage or impact (bird strike) damage.

But do you know for certain that Redline contains the same POE's as does the JTO?

According to Redline, YES. Per their product spec: "Red Line lubricants are unique because they contain PE Polyol Ester base stocks, the only lubricants which can withstand the tremendous heat of modern jet engines"

What I was asking was - which POE?

PE
DiPE
TMP
TME
NPG

From Redlines Website:
Quote:
Red Line lubricants
contain polyol ester basestocks...

Here is where they say they are using polyol ester base oil (but not exclusively, I.E., not the "only" base oil).

http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/motoroils.pdf

I think they are using PE to mean "Polyol Ester" as in PE (Polyol Ester).

TMP and PAO are the two most common hi tier base oils for MO use.

Penterythritol and DiPE are very expensive and are used almost exclusively in JTO's and reduction gearboxes for turboprops.

Last edited:
You are quite amazing. I'm not the one bragging about credentials and rank nor am I putting down your experience and telling about how great mine are. You and I have a lot in common in our careers, including real experience working on turbine engines, I simply disagree with your actions.

Here is where they say they are using polyol ester base oil (but not exclusively, I.E., not the "only" base oil).

http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/motoroils.pdf

I think they are using PE to mean "Polyol Ester" as in PE (Polyol Ester).

I don't think it can be any more clear when they said in their product spec and I quote verbatim "Red Line lubricants are unique because they contain PE Polyol Ester base stocks, the only lubricants which can withstand the tremendous heat of modern jet engines"

To me that means they are using "PE" polyol ester, the same as those use for gas turbine engine oil.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
You are quite amazing. I'm not the one bragging about credentials and rank nor am I putting down your experience and telling about how great mine are. You and I have a lot in common in our careers, including real experience working on turbine engines, I simply disagree with your actions.

Are you sure? How about:

azsynthetic, I am done giving you my opinion, run whatever you want and choose to ignore (now two) lubrication engineers.

As a former JET ENGINE MECHANIC (I tore them down to nuts and bolts, carbon seals, lip seals, rotors, hubs, and blades and then built them back up) in the USAF I can tell you first hand that the oil does not come into contact with combustion gasses in a turbine engine. it does come into contact with high heat and potential shearing from gears. This isn't just something I read off the oil can.

and this:

maybe you should try gear oil or hydraulic oil next, both can be high grade synthetics, roughly the same viscosity as motor oil, and as you have proved you don't really need to pay any attention to their chemical compositions as long as they are synthetic.
thumbsup2.gif

Not exactly disagreeing with my action.

But, PEACE to all my brothers in arms.

There are many different types of PE (Pentaerythritol) polyol esters, including MonoPEs, TechPEs, DiPEs, Advanced PEs, Complexed PEs, and PolyPEs. Furthermore, each of these types may contain a wide variety of fatty acids, ranging from C5 to C10, linear and branched. These esters vary widely in chemical, physical and performance properties.

Most 23699 type jet engine oils use TechPE base oils, sometimes boosted with a dash of DiPE. These Tech PE esters must contain large amounts of C5 acids (40-60%) in order to drive the pour point and -40 viscosity down into spec. I have always advised customers to NOT use these esters for industrial or automotive applications because of the potential for hydrolysis in these uses. Hydrolysis liberates the C5 acids which have a very offensive odor and are more volatile and corrosive than higher acids.

Most people who use polyol esters make reference to jet engine oils for marketing reasons, meaning they use the same "class" of ester (POE), but not necessarily the very same esters used in jets. Many of the PE esters used in industrial and automotive applications are actually better than those used in jet engines with respect to oxidative stability, VI, seal compatibility, flash point, lubricity, volatility and cleanliness. The reason is that the viscometrics required under the 23699 spec are so restrictive that the ester design is forced into a very narrow range, and many of the better acids and alcohols cannot be used. That's not to say that the POEs used in jet engine oils are inferior, just that they are specifically designed for optimum performance in aviation gas turbines and are not necessarily the best choice for other uses.

The guys at Redline are very knowledgeable about esters and I'm sure they chose the right esters for their specific oils.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Most people who use polyol esters make reference to jet engine oils for marketing reasons, meaning they use the same "class" of ester (POE), but not necessarily the very same esters used in jets.

I am curious as to who else besides Redline is referencing jet engine oil in their automotive line of lubricant?

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
I am curious as to who else besides Redline is referencing jet engine oil in their automotive line of lubricant?

Redline appears to be the only one out there today using POEs in significant percentages, but Mobil and Amsoil referenced jet engine oils in the past, as did virtually all of the early marketers of diester based oils. Likewise many marketers of POE based industrial oils continue to make use of the jet engine connnection.

Tom NJ

I don't recalled any other manufacturers specifically stated in their product spec of using the same base oil as jet oil in their automotive line of lubricants. My question was about referencing jet oil in auto oil and not industrial oil.

There are many ester based oils out there but Redline is the only one specifically stated using the same base oil as jet oil.

Last edited:
I think Tom answered your question above:

Quote:
Most people who use polyol esters make reference to jet engine oils for marketing reasons, meaning they use the same "class" of ester (POE), but not necessarily the very same esters used in jets.

I think Tom answered your question above:

Quote:

No he does not. He does not speak for Redlines nor any other oil manufacturers and as I have pointed out only Redlines specifically stated in their product spec of using the same base fluid as jet oil. No other ester based auto oil manufacturers even mentioned the same class of ester as jet oil, much less PE POE.

I don't think it can be any more clear when they said in their product spec and I quote verbatim "Red Line lubricants are unique because they contain PE Polyol Ester base stocks, the only lubricants which can withstand the tremendous heat of modern jet engines."

Redline is the only one specifically stated using the same base oil as jet oil.

Their quote above does not say they use the same base oil as jet oil, it says they use "PE Polyol Ester base stocks", and then states these (PE Polyol Ester base stocks) are the only lubricants which can withstand the tremendous heat of modern jet engines.

Tom NJ

Quote:
No other ester based auto oil manufacturers even mentioned the same class of ester as jet oil, much less PE POE.

Nor do you speak for Redline.

I think you misunderstood the meaning of the "class" statement. POE is a class of base oils with subclasses (As Tom mentoined above).

In the earlier days (1970's), Amsoil and NEO used similar advertising language when they were using majority diester base oils from Hatcol.

But as we know, diesters are a class with many many subclass "types."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back