FSI Engines - Audi RS4 Engine Oil-Related Deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: agpatel
Which is what i will be doing soon :) Once a vented catch can comes out that I like

Ditto. The cans/systems that are out there aren;t that great IMO. Certainly better than nothing though.

I will probably do something like this on my own if no one comes out with a good solution. I believe the provent can has a built in regulator (not sure need to research it more) which would eliminate the need for the control valve shown below. One might possibly pick up minor horsepower gains with this system also (drag racers etc. do) but that would be just an indirect benefit. The goal is to eliminate the deposits.

pcvschematic3.jpg

I wonder if this is extra-severe in the turbo engines. It sounds like an excellent justification for water injection on those engines. Do these engines get "good tuning" in factory form, or do they run super-fat? I know the mazdaspeed miata likes to run fatter than an lc-1 wideband reads (10.0:1).

As long as you do not have any air that is not metered by the mass air flow you will be fine. Just have to block off the rear PCV where it goes to the intake. Just have to make sure you have no vac leak and you will not throw a code.

Originally Posted By: zoomzoom
This is what I did to my S4

Is there oil etc. in the engine compartment from the "vent"? or are you using a catch can or some other way to keep gunk out of the engine compartment?

Originally Posted By: saaber1
This is what I did to my S4

Is there oil etc. in the engine compartment from the "vent"? or are you using a catch can or some other way to keep gunk out of the engine compartment?

I just got about 4ft of coolant hose and ran it back by the tranny and down, so it vents out under the car and onto road..funny thing I didn't notice any dripping when the car is parked..not sure how it looks like when I am under full boost
57.gif

no funny smell in cabin or oil mess in the engine compartment

Sounds simple, low tech, and effective. Same as the "road tubes" used by pre emissions U.S. cars (long live the highway "grease strips" in the middle of the highway lanes ha ha).

Some people are using a "slashcut" system and running it into the exhaust which has the benefit of "pulling" vapors out of the crankcase due to the vacuum created. Here is one "slashcut" product f.e. http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=13023

This is the best post I have seen in evaluating different crankcase evacuation techniques:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1199935

Also, a diagram from Moroso's instruction sheet:

slashcutcopy.jpg

here's another example of an engine in the UK, with 19000 total miles, and dealer service done with those superior European oils (most likely Castrol Edge).

DSCN3439.jpg

DSCN3441.jpg

nasty, so it is not just US problem...

I will say it again..get rid of the PCV system and problem solved

no matter what oil is used there will always be lots of blow-by in this engine

I will say it again..get rid of the PCV system and problem solved

They can't vent to atmo for emissions reasons.

sweet jesus... that thing must eat oil like crazy! the more i see and read, the more i know a catch can is necessary... i doubt an emissions inspection place would even notice a stealthy catch can under the hood

Originally Posted By: SR71
RI_RS4,

The car you refer to was running Titan Fuchs Longlife GT1 5w-30.

Seems like an appropriate name! So much for Fuchs. I suspect it's letting quite a bit of fuel pass through the rings.

Absolutely.

My oil has gone to Terry with a request to add results to your database. Been running the same stuff.

The aforementioned car has subsequently been cleaned up, along with some inlet/exhaust/mapping work and has gained "significant" hp.

However, the root causes have not been addressed and there is still no catch-can/substitute for the inefficient cyclones in place.

In addition, one off purchases of RLI to the UK are proving expensive.

I bet things wont look much different even with RLI lubricant..

Lubricant is not a problem to begin with so it can't be part of the solution..

get rid of PCV and EGR and that will take care of the deposits.

Actual, there are already well-documented scientific studies on lubricant impact on DI engine intake valve deposits, since PVC and EGR are a fact of life in modern engine design.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

In a DI, theses crevices should only contain air.

But then how does fuel dilution come to play as a big factor in these engines ?

On Gasoline DI, the most common mode of injection is during the intake stroke. On very light cruising (completely off boost) will some systems inject the fuel on the compression upstroke, just before the plug fires allowing leaner mixtures. Dilution could be from the fact that GDI injectors are angled low, and not 90degrees as in a CDI. The angle causes the injector to lay the spray right along the cylinder walls where surface tension takes over.

That's how the Mazda version works, not too sure about the others' first gen systems, but imagine them to be likewise. Later generation systems involve angling the spray nozzle itself and modifying the amount and size of the holes.

Lubricant is not a problem to begin with so it can't be part of the solution..

Wow. If no problem could be solved except by the thing that caused it, we'd live in a very different world...

get rid of PCV and EGR and that will take care of the deposits.

So what do you propose to do with the excess emissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back