2008 Dodge 1500, 5.7 Hemi recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we shall wait for the OIL RELATED FAILURES
should I call Toyota and tell them the oil I forced them to install in my fathers Van and brothers Camry every 25,000 miles is voiding the warranty?

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Well we shall wait for the OIL RELATED FAILURES
should I call Toyota and tell them the oil I forced them to install in my fathers Van and brothers Camry every 25,000 miles is voiding the warranty?

Amsoil makes some good Group III oils that are API and manufacturer certified (but not a 0W-20), so I would recommend you use one of those if you prefer Amsoil.

If you are using a 25,000 mile OCI, you are not complying with the maunfacterer requirements for OCI and are risking a warranty denial claim. If the vehicles are not under warranty, then do whatever you like with regard to oil and OCI.

Amsoil makes some great stuff but I wouldn't be comfortable running it 25k miles. Maybe I'm a chicken.

FWIW, my dad has a chevy pickup still under warranty and he's getting his oil changes done at the dealership using Mobil 1. He got it changed out the first time at 5K miles and they told him next time to run it longer.

Last edited:
my moms 2007 dodge 1500 hemi, use Motorcraft 5w20 and go 5,000 miles on it. been that way for the 38K miles on it. The truck is now driven 240 miles daily (so the mileage is adding up faster). Picked MC since my dads Mercury Mariner uses it so they dont have to have all types of oil around.

the owners manual is something like this.. 5,000 miles per oil change and 3,000 if you are under the servere service interals. dont hold me to it exactly (im 95% sure the info is correct), their manual is 220 miles away from me so i cant check myself.

so im my opinion on oil.. any synthetic no matter the brand will work for you. heck the motorcraft semi-syn is working for the 5000 mile interval. so just pick whatever is cheapest and/or easiest to get.

as for the mopar filters i dont know. when i make it up to their house i just put on a napa gold or carquest blue filter, because our local walmart is wanting five dollar and change for the mopar filter, and thats a 20 mile drive from their house. but i believe they are decent filters cause i have seen high mileage dodge trucks, where all they used were dealership mopar filters from the local dealership.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Amsoil makes some great stuff but I wouldn't be comfortable running it 25k miles. Maybe I'm a chicken.

FWIW, my dad has a chevy pickup still under warranty and he's getting his oil changes done at the dealership using Mobil 1. He got it changed out the first time at 5K miles and they told him next time to run it longer.

What I find strange is that some people appear to be using very long OCI (like 25,000 miles) and justify that on the basis of being thrifty, but then pay for frequent UOA's. It would seem to me to be a lot smarter to do 12,500 mile OCI with no UOA for about the same price as 25,000 mile OCI with UOA.

The Dodge maintenance service schedule shows, oil changes every 3k miles or three months. I was shocked to see. I wouldn't waste a nickle on synthetic for 3k mile oci. He could void the warranty if he deviates.

Originally Posted By: Fester
The Dodge maintenance service schedule shows, oil changes every 3k miles or three months. I was shocked to see. I wouldn't waste a nickle on synthetic for 3k mile oci. He could void the warranty if he deviates.
Agree 100%.

Plus there is NOT a single bad 5w-20 out there. They all are excellent.

Nice truck!

Take care, Bill

PS: Love the koolaid in this thread. Some people hurt certain oil company reps...
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: wannafbody

What I find strange is that some people appear to be using very long OCI (like 25,000 miles) and justify that on the basis of being thrifty, but then pay for frequent UOA's. It would seem to me to be a lot smarter to do 12,500 mile OCI with no UOA for about the same price as 25,000 mile OCI with UOA.

I agree, a UOA is basically the price of an oil change. It's a good idea if you have some type of mechanical issue such as coolant loss.

Mmmmm Koolaid...

I've had a couple 3/4 ton hemi's. Current one is an '08 Power Wagon with 40,000 miles and its a Federal Land Management Law Enforcement rig. I'll get rid of it next year with around 90,000 miles on it just like the last one.

Gets cranked over at minus 40 F in the winter with battery assist and bulk Valvoline in the pan. Spends most its time in the rough and covered with mud and dust. And if you haven't been to WY, it gets rough here.

OLM trips at 2600 or 6000 miles depending on temperature. Nothing else seems to influence it.

7 quarts of synthetic in one of these, changed at the above intervals, would be a waste of money.

Use what the book says. No need to spend big money on Amsoil, or any other specialty synthetic oil.

Conventional oil has worked well in my Hemi, so has synthetic, my criteria for the oil I use is, what I can buy the cheapest. Currently I am filled with 5w-20 Q-Torque ($1qt). Next oil change will probably be Havoline 5w-20 DS ($0qt, that's right free). In the past I have used Pennsoil, Havoline, Valvoline, Supertech, some syn blends, some conventional, some full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: twentynine
Use what the book says. No need to spend big money on Amsoil, or any other specialty synthetic oil.

I don't have any problem with people who want to spend a lot of money on whatever oil they like. Not everyone on this forum has the same financial resources, so what is "big money" for one person, might be trivial to another.

But when someone says they stretching out the OCI to 25,000 miles to save money, and then paying for a lot of UOA's, that is were I wonder about the logic of that.

Now I suspect that most people who do UOA's do it as sort of a hobby, and it is a fairly cheap hobby if one is interested in that sort of thing (although I have already explained why I think some of the conclusions drawn from these tests are based on faulty logic). But UOA is not really economical unless you have fleet of vehicles. For the average person, the money for a UOA would be better spent buying better oil and/or changing it more often.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
Ok so here it is. i finally convinced my dad to use synthetics. he has 2008 dodge with a hemi, 12200 miles on the clock. My brother and i are mobil 1 users, heres the problem, dad bought the lifetime warrenty, i asked a tech at the dealer, he said keep it at 3000 oci, i would like to do 6000oci, obviously i dont see a reason in using mobil 1 unless on sale, any other ideas, oh and it requires 5w-20 motor oil, which is the reason i want synthetic in it.

I actually own a 2008 HEMI Ram myself. Had an 04 HEMI Ram too. Great trucks! Few things for you...

1) - A Lifetime Powertrain Warranty comes standard with the truck. It is not an additional charge item. If the dealer charged your Dad for it you need to get that money back asap and call Chrysler and report the dealer for fraud( report to the state's Attorney General's office as well )! If this is some kind of extended warranty above and beyond any standard warranty that comes with the truck that is different but I have never heard of a lifetime one? Usually 100,000 miles is the max. Check that out for your Dad. If he has JUST the regular Chrysler Liftime Powertrain Warranty and had to pay extra for it you need a lawyer.

2) - You are correct his engine requires a 20 weight oil. MDS uses oil pressure to operate so do not use a 30 or 40 weight oil. IMO just run the 5W-20 and skip the 0W-20. 5w-20 synthetic is going to handle some pretty cold extremes. Unless your Dad lives in northern Canada or Alaska where he sees day in day out -50 temps just use the 5W-20.

3) - Oil change interval. Why dealers continue to tell customers that they MUST do 3K OCI's is beyond me? Your Dad does NOT have to do 3K OCI's to protect his warranty. Absolutely NOT! Page 517 of the owner's manual( well the online PDF manual from Dodge anyway - in the actual manual it may be on different page #? - I didn't want to run out to the truck = BRRR! ), under Maintenance Schedules, CLEARLY shows that 6000 miles/6 Months is ok. The dealer can NOT make your Dad do 3K OCI's or void his warranty for going to 6K. Take the book in and show them. IF they still say it call Chrysler and complain.

4) - Yes, his truck does have an OLM( change oil message appears on speedometer where mileage shows ). Seems early on it is set to come on every 2500 miles. My truck had it pop up at 2501 miles. I have read reports from a lot of guys who report that it will come on every 2500 until approx 10K where it starts to lengthen out. I wonder if Chryselr designed it this way to ensure proper OC's during engine break in? Whatever the case if it is popping on every 2500 I would just reset it if your Dad is running synthetic and not worry. Go by the 6K/6 Month allowance in the owner's manual.

Resetting the OLM is very easy...

I - Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
II - Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
III - Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position, wait 2-3 seconds, then restart and see if the oil change message comes back on.
IV - If the oil change message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset, and you will need to repeat the procedure.

Here is page 517 from the owner's manual( online PDF from Dodge for 08 Ram 1500 )showing the 6K/6 Months for you...

interval.jpg

5) - Your Dad needs to run an oil that is as follows...

A) - 20 weight( as said )
B) - API Certified w/ Starburst( requires an SM service level rating )
C) - Meets or Exceed Chrysler's MS6395 oil standard( Note - does NOT have to be certified just needs to meet or exceed the spec/standard - the oil mfg should list what oil standards their product covers - API "Certification" does matter though )

Here are some excellent full synthetic 5W-20 oils that meet these requirements you can look into. All are readily available locally( for the majority of folks )for a reasonable cost...

Penzoil Platinum
Quaker State Horsepower
Valvoline Synpower
Kendal GT1 Full Synthetic( available in 0W as well but that may be hard to find - 5W-20 will be easier )

If you are interested in Amsoil their XL line offers a 5W-20 that is API Starburst certified and "should" meet or exceed Chrysler MS6395. Amsoil XL oils are good for up to 7500 miles. They cost less than the extended drain versions and are the one to choose if you want to use their oils while under factory warranty. Do not go 25K and 1 year on your OC while under warranty. Don't risk that Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Not worth it. Their XL line is very good oil and will do the job just fine during required intervals.

If you are interested in a Blend these are good choices...

Schaeffers 7000 series
Valvoline Durablend
Kendal GT1 Hi Performance Synthetic Blend( they have a high mileage blend as well so get the right one )

If your Dad has a Pepboys near him they sell the Kendal GT1 full synthetic oil for just $4.99 p/qt. It is a very good oil and would be a good choice for 5-6K OCI's to stay within warranty requirements. Actually, Kendal is now made by ConocPhillips. If your Dad has access to any 76 Lubricants synthetic oils they are the exact same thing as the Kendal. Just a different bottle.

Hope this helps.

2004 1500 SLT QC 4WD HEMI:
04Ram8.jpg

2008 1500 SLT QC 4WD HEMI:
IMG_0667.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Ok so here it is. i finally convinced my dad to use synthetics. he has 2008 dodge with a hemi, 12200 miles on the clock. My brother and i are mobil 1 users, heres the problem, dad bought the lifetime warrenty, i asked a tech at the dealer, he said keep it at 3000 oci, i would like to do 6000oci, obviously i dont see a reason in using mobil 1 unless on sale, any other ideas, oh and it requires 5w-20 motor oil, which is the reason i want synthetic in it.

I actually own a 2008 HEMI Ram myself. Had an 04 HEMI Ram too. Great trucks! Few things for you...

1) - A Lifetime Powertrain Warranty comes standard with the truck. It is not an additional charge item. If the dealer charged your Dad for it you need to get that money back asap and call Chrysler and report the dealer for fraud( report to the state's Attorney General's office as well )! If this is some kind of extended warranty above and beyond any standard warranty that comes with the truck that is different but I have never heard of a lifetime one? Usually 100,000 miles is the max. Check that out for your Dad. If he has JUST the regular Chrysler Liftime Powertrain Warranty and had to pay extra for it you need a lawyer.

2) - You are correct his engine requires a 20 weight oil. MDS uses oil pressure to operate so do not use a 30 or 40 weight oil. IMO just run the 5W-20 and skip the 0W-20. 5w-20 synthetic is going to handle some pretty cold extremes. Unless your Dad lives in northern Canada or Alaska where he sees day in day out -50 temps just use the 5W-20.

3) - Oil change interval. Why dealers continue to tell customers that they MUST do 3K OCI's is beyond me? Your Dad does NOT have to do 3K OCI's to protect his warranty. Absolutely NOT! Page 517 of the owner's manual( well the online PDF manual from Dodge anyway - in the actual manual it may be on different page #? - I didn't want to run out to the truck = BRRR! ), under Maintenance Schedules, CLEARLY shows that 6000 miles/6 Months is ok. The dealer can NOT make your Dad do 3K OCI's or void his warranty for going to 6K. Take the book in and show them. IF they still say it call Chrysler and complain.

4) - Yes, his truck does have an OLM( change oil message appears on speedometer where mileage shows ). Seems early on it is set to come on every 2500 miles. My truck had it pop up at 2501 miles. I have read reports from a lot of guys who report that it will come on every 2500 until approx 10K where it starts to lengthen out. I wonder if Chryselr designed it this way to ensure proper OC's during engine break in? Whatever the case if it is popping on every 2500 I would just reset it if your Dad is running synthetic and not worry. Go by the 6K/6 Month allowance in the owner's manual.

Resetting the OLM is very easy...

I - Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
II - Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
III - Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position, wait 2-3 seconds, then restart and see if the oil change message comes back on.
IV - If the oil change message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset, and you will need to repeat the procedure.

Here is page 517 from the owner's manual( online PDF from Dodge for 08 Ram 1500 )showing the 6K/6 Months for you...

interval.jpg

5) - Your Dad needs to run an oil that is as follows...

A) - 20 weight( as said )
B) - API Certified w/ Starburst( requires an SM service level rating )
C) - Meets or Exceed Chrysler's MS6395 oil standard( Note - does NOT have to be certified just needs to meet or exceed the spec/standard - the oil mfg should list what oil standards their product covers - API "Certification" does matter though )

Here are some excellent full synthetic 5W-20 oils that meet these requirements you can look into. All are readily available locally( for the majority of folks )for a reasonable cost...

Penzoil Platinum
Quaker State Horsepower
Valvoline Synpower
Kendal GT1 Full Synthetic( available in 0W as well but that may be hard to find - 5W-20 will be easier )

If you are interested in Amsoil their XL line offers a 5W-20 that is API Starburst certified and "should" meet or exceed Chrysler MS6395. Amsoil XL oils are good for up to 7500 miles. They cost less than the extended drain versions and are the one to choose if you want to use their oils while under factory warranty. Do not go 25K and 1 year on your OC while under warranty. Don't risk that Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Not worth it. Their XL line is very good oil and will do the job just fine during required intervals.

If you are interested in a Blend these are good choices...

Schaeffers 7000 series
Valvoline Durablend
Kendal GT1 Hi Performance Synthetic Blend( they have a high mileage blend as well so get the right one )

If your Dad has a Pepboys near him they sell the Kendal GT1 full synthetic oil for just $4.99 p/qt. It is a very good oil and would be a good choice for 5-6K OCI's to stay within warranty requirements. Actually, Kendal is now made by ConocPhillips. If your Dad has access to any 76 Lubricants synthetic oils they are the exact same thing as the Kendal. Just a different bottle.

Hope this helps.

2004 1500 SLT QC 4WD HEMI:
04Ram8.jpg

2008 1500 SLT QC 4WD HEMI:
IMG_0667.jpg

hey thanks for the info that really helps. i plan on changing it here in the next week. now i want to use quaker state synthetic but is mobil 1 an ok oil for it, i gat like three 5quart jugs for another truck here in the shop

Quote:
it says every 6000, but there is also and OLM on the truck that has been going off every 2000-2500 miles, mainly due to stop and go
My question is, will the olm rat you out, in case of some failure? If ignored will it store the info, and some how void warranty, I'm just saying its clearly in the severe service interval per the olm.

hey thanks for the info that really helps. i plan on changing it here in the next week. now i want to use quaker state synthetic but is mobil 1 an ok oil for it, i gat like three 5quart jugs for another truck here in the shop

Mobil 1 does meet the spec's you need. Chrysler uses Mobil 1 in vehicles that come from the factory with synthetic like the old SRT-10 Rams and the Viper. Mobil 1 is factory fill on many performance and luxury vehicles from lots of new car mfg's. They have a 5W-20 and a 0W-20 that meet all the spec's you need for your Dad's truck. I didn't list them as I am not a fan of that company so I never list their oils. If you want to use it their oils are perfectly fine however.

The Quaker State is excellent oil and is cheaper than M1 at Wal-Mart in the 5qt jug. Even the individual qts are less and as you need 7qts for the HEMI you have to buy a 5qt jug and then 2qts. Cheaper to go with the QS oil. Use the M1 up then switch to the QS and you are good.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fester
Quote:
it says every 6000, but there is also and OLM on the truck that has been going off every 2000-2500 miles, mainly due to stop and go
My question is, will the olm rat you out, in case of some failure? If ignored will it store the info, and some how void warranty, I'm just saying its clearly in the severe service interval per the olm.

I do not believe it is stored anywhere. Keep in mind as well that you are not ignoring it but rather resetting it. To the OLM you just did an oil change so it starts over. OLM's do not actually test the oil to know when it goes bad. They are based on a formula using various things such as your RPM's and speed to determine when the oil is done. The OLM does not physically check the oil.

However, even if it stored when the OLM ws reset the manual allows for a mileage/time limit. You are perfectly fine going by either the OLM -OR- that manual listing. Dodge could not refuse coverage because you went 6000 miles when they say 6000 is ok. "ONLY" if that page I listed had a provision saying you can go up to 6000 miles but if the OLM comes on before that you have to change your oil could they do anything.

Going 6K/6 Months per the manual, and resetting the OLM if it comes on early, is 100% warranty safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back