Algae Oil Bio Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you thoughts about Algae farms producing oil for Biodiesel??
I have see a couple of productions facilities that are out in the desert that say they can out produce other methods of BioD production by a long shot...
I have found that corn can produce about 20 gallons of oil per ACRE... and Algae is capable of producing up to 100,000 Gallons per ACRE if you use closed loop bioreactors.

Here is a video about Valcent... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ToojK_MJd0&feature=related

Oilguy

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
yup, algae in the southeast might be a good choice.

JMH

Good there, even better in the southwest, more sunshine. The process in the video doesn't take a lot of water either.

It looks like there are other companies with similar processes, although the one in the video looks most efficient.

I am thinking that I could easily set up an algae farm for less than a $1-2K and produce enough oil to run my household energy needs...
Just need a little space and some clear tubing for the closed loop bioreactors... Tanks.. pumps... Co2... filtering process.. dryer... and a oil press.

there is a professor at Auburn University looking atr just this. Im sure there are lots of folks elsewhere looking at same.

JMH

You could make your own... but I think it would be a lot like making your own paper or treating your own sewage water. It will be a lot easier to buy what's going to be produced.

I'm sure someone will come out and say that this will pull so much CO2 out of the atmosphere, we're destined to have global cooling!

This mob are doing algae diesel.

http://www.petrosuninc.com/

Chucked a few thousand on their Oz partner (who drills for coal seam methane, and is planning on using Petrosun's technology to populate the resultant brine ponds with biodiesel) back in April.

up 150% to date...someone's interested (either in CSM or biofuels).

Originally Posted By: crw
You could make your own... but I think it would be a lot like making your own paper or treating your own sewage water. It will be a lot easier to buy what's going to be produced.

Well... I actually have an aerobic sewage system (which is a miniature waste water treatment plant) and was thinking of using the Co2 generated from that to feed the algae... that should reduce the cost considerable... Also I don't have to generate millions of gallons of diesel to fill my families energy needs.. I just need to make about 300-400 gallons a month to be self sufficient. I think that is very doable... AND it will save me about $1500+ a month!
How fast would the ROI be at that rate??

Originally Posted By: crw

I'm sure someone will come out and say that this will pull so much CO2 out of the atmosphere, we're destined to have global cooling!

It would be a balance - what is taken from the air would be re-expelled via the combustion process. Neutral(ish) in nature... nice.

JMH

Originally Posted By: Shannow
This mob are doing algae diesel.

http://www.petrosuninc.com/

Chucked a few thousand on their Oz partner (who drills for coal seam methane, and is planning on using Petrosun's technology to populate the resultant brine ponds with biodiesel) back in April.

up 150% to date...someone's interested (either in CSM or biofuels).

who's the oz partner? Metgasco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back