Oil Filter 18.5 B&S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, i have a 2004 DYT4000 with a 18.5HP B&S engine, has a oil filter, and i have been buying the black oil filter from sears, but at like 11.99$ i would rather use like a M1-102 or a small filter of that nature, but i have NO idea of what filter has the same flow rate, and drain valve or not as the OEM one from sears. Does any one know what filter would work on this tractor with out any ill affects? Thanks.
LOL.gif

i would take your Briggs and Stratton filter number to you local auto parts store.

on our Craftsman 23hp mower, i took the filter # and get mine for like 4 bucks ea from the local Napa or carquest store.

looking online at the Briggs and Stratton numbers from the Wix filter site/napaonline.com it shows the napa gold filters are running 10.99 each so i think it should be cheaper than that.

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(yvvumz45ldhzss551ot2z42m))/Detail.aspx?R=FIL7035_0212662097

this is the filter i believe for your engine.. not 100% so again take the orginal filter that is used/need for the mower and take it to the local auto parts house.

oh if you like them. Fram = PH8170

Last edited:
Would a PH 16 work?
A bit larger, .7" larger diameter.
If the gaskets are close, it should work.
The 3/4-16 thread is used by a large group of filters.

Like the other million threads on this, anything with a 3/4-16 thread, gasket dimensions that will fit the base and a can that will fit safely is all you'll ever need. A Motorcraft FL400 or equiv p/n of the color of your liking would be my choice.

Joel

Last edited:
The same AC PF53/Wix 51348/Purolator L10241/Fram PH3614 type filter used on the '94 Saturn in your sig. works just fine, only a little taller.

The only big difference I see is that the B&S does come with a nice Silicone ADBV, but even that can be had on a Wix, NAPA Gold, and several others and still cost less.

Quote:
Like the other million threads on this,

Here are a couple:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1401771#Post1401771
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1230692#Post1230692
It's amazingly frustrating to pay 2 or 3 times what you should for a filter. At the local Sears, I saw a B&S filter sitting there on the shelf in the automotive section for $11.99, and one shelf down they had Purolator L10241's, which will fit just fine, for $3.98. The average guy would just grab the B&S and go.
frown.gif

Okay, well i bought the M1-101... and its too small, the threads on the filter are to small and the width is even a tad to small. But reading on another thread, i guess the M1-102 would work. so off to the store to buy the m1-102... The would be a little wider, and also the threads would be bigger too? thanks.

Why use a M1 filter on a Briggs that gets the oil changed out every season or 25 hours? Supertech would be more than enough.

Any filter from a 95 Dodge Neon will fit fine.

Just because i use PP 5W30 Synthetic, and do 50+hrs a season, and only change it once every spring.
thumbsup2.gif

Okay, well changed the oil today, all went well, i used the $11.99, $12.95 w/tax filter, part number 24603.. Used PP 5W30 synthetic. I used the B&S filter because i could not find the m1-102, and being 30 miles away from sears, walmart, autozone, and every other store, i just picked up what i know works. :D Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: SL2
Okay, well changed the oil today, all went well, i used the $11.99, $12.95 w/tax filter, part number 24603.. Used PP 5W30 synthetic. I used the B&S filter because i could not find the m1-102, and being 30 miles away from sears, walmart, autozone, and every other store, i just picked up what i know works. :D Thanks again.

shocked2.gif
Well, that's just going totally against the BITOG template. I, for one, am aghast!!
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Ummm. no? There is a different? Really? I change it every year anyways? Should i go and get the yellow one?

Originally Posted By: SL2
Ummm. no? There is a different? Really? I change it every year anyways? Should i go and get the yellow one?

no your fine if you change it every year,back when i used them
over priced filters i always got the yellow ones, your fine.

If you have any Toyota, older Nissan or Ford products in your house, you can share filters more than likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back