SR20det what oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking into switching to Shell Rotella synthetic i think its 15-50 for my higher millage daily driven sr20det. just wondering if anyone else has run it in there sr? its got close to 100k on it now and i drive it every day and hoss on it sometimes. never any track use though. maybe next year... seems to be good oil and lots of subaru and DSM guys seem to run it. lots of guys use in in motorcycles with wet clutches too.

Shell Rotella Synthetic is a 5W-40, which is a darn fine oil, lots of users of it here. When you do race that might be a good choice. But for simple daily driving, a lighter oil would serve you just as well and would give you better MPG. There was a guy here who ran his modified Sentra on Royal Purple 0W-10 with great results.

im getting to have pretty high millage on my sr so i would like to run something a little thicker to try and help with any loosed tolerances.i usually run 5-30 Mobil 1, maybe I'll just go to Mobil 1 10-40 synthetic? any other suggestions?

do some searching around here and educate yourself (numbers don't always tell the story).

5w30 m1 is pretty thin compared to castrol 0w30 and m1 0w40.

rotella also makes a 5-40 synthetic that sounds pretty good. other than the viscosity of the rotella think im safe running it? no one in the nissan world seems to run it nor have many thought of it because its for diesels.... but ive heard a lot of good things about it on dsm and subaru forums. think the aluminum block of the SR20 would be affected by it in ways the iron blocks of the EJ25 or the 4g63?

All the big time drifters in japan running SR20s are using super thick syns

10-40

20-50

alot of drifters in the US are running 10-30 syns, but look how many motors they pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back