Porsche Boxster (M96) approved oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oils on the current Porsche approved list have the highest HTHS rating, and are available in the US? I believe that M1 0W-40 is at the lower end at 3.7 I believe.

Mobil 1 5W-50
Mobil 1 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 (PORSCHE CAYENNE 2002)
Fuchs 5W-40
Kendall GT-1 5W-40
Havoline Ultra 5W-40
Conoco Phillips 76 Pure Synthetic 5W-40
Castrol Syntec 5W-40

All these oils are Porsche Approved oils and have HTHS value higher than 3.5

Although not approved, I know folks who use Amsoil 5W-40 in their Mustang Cobra's, I assume it should be good enough for Boxsters too!

Hi,
kalbri - M1 0W-40 works well in M96 engines and it appeares to be the ideal partner. That said, I run mine a little hotter than others (I also live in the Tropics) so I run Delvac 1 5W-40

Always use a OEM filter element and stick with recommended OCIs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Mobil 1 5W-40

All these oils are Porsche Approved oils and have HTHS value higher than 3.5

Is that the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 for Diesel Engines product? I'm thinking it's a different M1 5W-40, one that may not be readily available at most auto parts stores and might only be available from a Porsche dealer.

Hi,
rshaw125 - You said this:
"I have read on one of the Boxster sites that some do not like M1 for their cars.A little research maybe in order."

Believe me I have done lots of research - so have the Porsche Development Engineers. That's why we use M1!

My local Porsche dealer is telling me that Porsche put out a bulletin stating that they now prefer 5w-40 oils to the 0w-40 weight. They stated that they are now using a Castrol 5w-40 instead of the Mobil 1 0w-40 because of this. Is there any truth to this?

Porsche's last approved oil bulletin (Sep 08), which is for their sport cars (Cayenne V6 has a different bulletin) states for temps below -25 deg C, a 0W-40 is required. All the other oils listed are 5W-40 (for above -25 deg C) except for a Mobil 1 5W-50.

Regards,
paul...

I was just contacted by a friend who told me the following:

Quote:
A local Porsche tuner absolutely did not recommend using the M1 0w40 anymore (factory fill) when I get it changed (soon). In fact, he said DO NOT run it over 5k miles, regardless of what Porsche recommends (20k oil changes!). He recommended using Red Line 5w40.

Originally Posted By: kalbri
My local Porsche dealer is telling me that Porsche put out a bulletin stating that they now prefer 5w-40 oils to the 0w-40 weight. They stated that they are now using a Castrol 5w-40 instead of the Mobil 1 0w-40 because of this. Is there any truth to this?

Does anyone have a copy of that Porsche bulletin? I am strongly inclined to advice my friend to follow Porsche's oil recommendation.

M10W40 did fine in my old boxster S, and TBN was about half at 8800 miles so your friend is right on in not going 20k miles. See UOA here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1036928

But when I changed to redline 5W40 I immediately noticed it turned over much faster when starting, was much quieter, and smoother at high revs. Unfortunately I don't have any redline UOAs because I sold that car before changing oil.

At that time I knew very little about oil (as is evident in my posts), but now I know a little bit more. I would put the redline 5W40 in the boxster if it was mine as it just felt so much smoother and had less valve train noise. I don't think it is going to make any night and day difference between mobil 1 0W40 which is a good oil but the boxster just seemed happier with the RL5W40 which has a HTHS of 4.6 vs. 3.7 for M1.

Keep in mind that the American version of M1 0w-40, "European Formula" is not the same stuff as the European "Protection Formula". The SM version in Germany has equivalent specs to the older SL American version. Porsche does not make this distinction on their oil list like they do for other oils, like Castrol, which has many 5w-40's with different names.

Hi,
I don't believe such a TISB from Porsche exists. It is true that the latest engine DI families - superceding the M96 - are using a 12 months 20kkms OCI as I recall

Use MI 0W-40 with great confidence in the M96 (Porsche has hundreds of thousands of M96 engines on this lubricant)

Porsche carried out a systematic UOA programme over a considerable period in NA on M96 engines and their recommendation of M1 0W-40 remained intact

I use a 5W-40 as my M96 runs about 10C higher OP Temp than standard and I live in the Tropics

As Porsche now owns VW-Audi I expect to see more Mobil products being used in their engine familes. Mobil remains the FF at Porsche

I am writing this at sea in the English Channel en route to Harwich - I will be in Stuttgart (Porsche and MB) in the next fortnight

Hi Doug,

Do you know if the UOA programme in the USA was performed with the SL or SM version?

Another issue I have with the current version is that the PDS no longer lists the heavy-duty VW 503.01 spec, though they still print it on the back of the bottle. My guess is they are using more group 3 oil in the US version, as all the oils I've seen that meet the VW 503.01 are not group 3, but PAO/Esters. Also, they no longer list the pour point temp like they used to...

The Boxter is a girls car.
grin2.gif

The European version of M1 0w40 is the same as the US. There may have been a temporary change due to Ike, but they are now the same oil.

The PDS sheets are still different. Not only that, but in Europe, the bottle states "Porsche Approved". Here, it state "Porsche Approval 2002", which is when it was SL rated, even before Ike.

Canadian SM formula, same as the old SL - here

US SM version - here

Last edited:
Hi,
glxpassat - sorry for the spasmodic replies. It was conducted with the SL version I expect. The reason was to ascertain what role certain components played in "random" but specific engine failures. Lubricant structure was not a cause

It no doubt gave Porsche an insight into what lubricants were being used in engines under Warranty. It probably put the Dealers on notice from the Factory too regarding the use of Approved and Listed lubricants

Steve S - Yes, my 928S4 was a girls car too - the fastest production car made at the time. I have covered distances in the dark of night faster in the Boxster. Perhaps the "girl" in me scared me off using the 928's Weissach axle correctly. Goodness, don't tell my four Sons or Daughter of this girlish behaviour though - my Daughter wouldn't believe it - but my Sons might.
They keep tempting me to go faster when we go out on our motorbikes together - we all end up with white knuckles though!!!

You know what Sons are like surely you were one!

Last edited:
Doug the 928 is mans car, Only the Boxter is a girls car. Not only was I a son ,I have a son and he also realizes a Boxter is a girls car
banana2.gif
!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back