Dont understand the GC mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Euro oil fans. Hello from an ardent reader and poster on the PCMO section. Interesting thing happened on the other side of the house: No ONE picked GC for my Jeep.

I bought the 5qts. & K&N filter, as per the AZ special, the other day in Maryland, and wanted to give it a shot in the Jeep's next OCI; but everyone who posted an answer, decided to pick the M1 5-40 (TDT) + M1 filter for my application instead.

What gives?
-A

GC is an excellent oil, and 'probably' would have been just as good a choice as the TDT.

The reason you got all recs. for TDT is that, in general, people seem to find that 4.0-liter Jeep I-6's tend to run better on slightly thicker 40-weight oils. Also, you are looking at starting a 'spring/summer' oil run when it is warmer, so running a thicker oil is often recommended in warmer weather. Had you posted this coming into winter, you might have got a few recs. for GC.

To add to this, if you bought the GC, use it. It is an excellent oil, is almost a 40-weight, and will work well in your I-6.

If you sig. is correct, and you took everyone's advice and went with the TDT, just save the GC to run during the winter. The OW-30 viscosity of GC will help with cold winter starts...

I saw some with a regular screw on top and others with a bolt lookin top, I noticed the Bolt top was older so picked up the regular instead. I wonder how much difference there could have been, but why take a chance.

-A

Try it!....you will understand ARMY_guy...how it feels good to have your engine running a lot smoother, quieter...cold winter startups will be a lot easier and oil easily lasts 10K KM for most engines....i have read on this forum how some members use this oil even for track....

especially when u can get this in States on sale its a steal!

For me the GC seemed right for several reasons.

1- BMW, new, under warranty and GC meets specs for my car (BMW recommends Castrol).
2- N54 TT Engine runs hot - need full synthetic to withstand heat.
3- The 0w30 tests out as a thick 30wt (almost 40 at temperature) - good for valve train, vanos,turbo lube and cooling.
4- Its made in Germany (like my car).
cool.gif

The bottles I bought in the past all had the hex-shaped caps. Shouldn't make any difference in packaging as long as the bottle says European Formula 0W30 and "Made in Germany" on the back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 94supraonchrome
saw some last night at AutoZone, SL rated, had dust on it...

Yup, that's the stuff. BTW, you won't find any SM-rated GC.

I tell ya man; I haven't even taken the 6 out of the bag yet, and I want to buy more. What the heck is this stuff ?!?

I better like it guys.

-A

GC costs the same as any store-bought synthetic (~$6/qt), performs extremely well in a very wide variety of applications, and can take a heck of a lot of abuse for a street oil. It pumps well when cold and protects well when hot.

For a car that specs a 30-weight, GC is one of the best options at any price, and on top of that, it's not expensive.

That said, if your car specs a 40-weight, use a 40-weight.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
GC costs the same as any store-bought synthetic (~$6/qt), performs extremely well in a very wide variety of applications, and can take a heck of a lot of abuse for a street oil. It pumps well when cold and protects well when hot.

For a car that specs a 30-weight, GC is one of the best options at any price, and on top of that, it's not expensive.

That said, if your car specs a 40-weight, use a 40-weight.

Pretty good advice right there.
I use the GC in a Toyota speced for 5w30 and the TDT in an engine speced for 5w40.
Both engines are over 100k and the UOAs are stellar.
Hope the OP's Jeep goes for another 100k with it. Post some results !

ChiTDI: Naperville, or Skokie (lol)?
GC fanatics: Hooah, I look forward to giving it a shot. I think he's speced for 5-3o; still haven't gotten a straight answer from any one. But boy oh boy, that (tdt) has been a Godsend.

-F
(Ravenswood)

Originally Posted By: ARMY_Guy
ChiTDI: Naperville, or Skokie (lol)?
-F
(Ravenswood)

Neither, lol, 606 all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back