Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a readily available supply at a reasonable price and was thinking of using it at one time, but it may be overkill for my current car which burns no oil and does fine on 5/10W-30. In any case, I looked and the product data sheets and noticed it compared favorably to just about any syn 5W-40 in terms of pour point, etc...

I'm wondering why Amsoil chooses to mark it as a 15W-40 when it seems it would be a direct competitor to Mobil Delvac1 or Rotella syn? Is it because of the Euro Amsoil 5W-40? Or is the synthetic base oil really thicker than Mobil1's or Shell's base oils?

One reason may be that 15w-40 oil have to have a higher HTHS, so even if it could pass the 5w part, the 15w part indicates that it does indeed have higher HTHS than some 5w-40s could.

Dave

what car are you thinking of using this in? you confused me with the comment that the Amsoil synthetic base seems thicker than the petrolium based competitors.

Are you talking about the PCO or AME? They are diesel/gas fleet oils. The PCO is a partial syn oil.

The AME has a extra rust additives for marine/damp environments.

I have not compared the viscosity at different temps against other brands.

IIRC, it does not meet the required cold flow for a 5W-40. I remember someone saying it would be about an 8W-40 if there actually was that viscosity.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
what car are you thinking of using this in? you confused me with the comment that the Amsoil synthetic base seems thicker than the petrolium based competitors.

I was going to use it in a Saturn SL2 to reduce consumption because I tend to drive a lot of interstate in the summer. But I got got rid of that for a 2.2L OHC Sunfire, ugly, but gets the job done cheaply. I doubt I will use and probably will go with Mobil1 10W-30 HM instead since the car uses almost no oil and I think a 40 weight would be too thick.

And I meant that it seems to be the only generally available fully synthetic 15W-40 HDEO. The rest seem to be 5W-40

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Are you talking about the PCO or AME?...

The full syn (AME?)...

Last edited:
Now that I've bothered to check their site, I guess Amsoil has HDEO in 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30 as well as in the 15W-40 weight...

The 15W-40 is available through a local hardware store in both quarts and gallons. Unfortunately, everything else they carry is the XL line since they got rid of the SSO...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: lazaro

I was going to use it in a Saturn SL2 to reduce consumption because I tend to drive a lot of interstate in the summer. But I got got rid of that for a 2.2L OHC Sunfire, ugly, but gets the job done cheaply. I doubt I will use and probably will go with Mobil1 10W-30 HM instead since the car uses almost no oil and I think a 40 weight would be too thick.

And I meant that it seems to be the only generally available fully synthetic 15W-40 HDEO. The rest seem to be 5W-40

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Are you talking about the PCO or AME?...

The full syn (AME?)...

If you want to experience less oil compsumption you will need to choose a higher quality oil not a thicker weight.
if you are looking for an oil for a 2.2 OHC Sunfire a 40 weight oil will just slow you down and consume gas.
As good as Amsoil AME is, that product will not be your best choice.
Amsoils 5w30 ASL is a better choice, My choice for that application would be Amsoil 0w20 ASM year round.
It will be the most efficient oil for that car and
cost the least if used as it is recommended.

LOL My current car uses almost no oil. There is a slight leak but barely noticeable at this point...and I agree that a 40wt. isn't called for in a GM 2.2L Ecotech, so I'll probably use M1 10W-30 HM in it next change...

The Amsoil HDEO was actually an option for a previous car, a Saturn, and it tended to burn less synthetic than it did conventional or syn blend (MaxLife). I was just wondering because it looked like some good stuff and it was easily accessible to me..

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
LOL My current car uses almost no oil. There is a slight leak but barely noticeable at this point...and I agree that a 40wt. isn't called for in a GM 2.2L Ecotech, so I'll probably use M1 10W-30 HM in it next change...

The Amsoil HDEO was actually an option for a previous car, a Saturn, and it tended to burn less synthetic than it did conventional or syn blend (MaxLife). I was just wondering because it looked like some good stuff and it was easily accessible to me..

My apologies,I misread your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back