Who makes Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

. . . I would stick to the brand name, and be pretty certain it would be of a better quality than something under a Walmart Label.

I agree 100 percent.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

Those are valid points, but I assume that Shell doesn't think very many people would find out that some Walmart private label products are supplied by them, and they probably do make at least small changes in the formula just to create "plausible deniability" about whether the products are the same, if and when the subject ever came up.

To a certain extent I would agree, although with the internet it makes it somewhat easier for people to find out stuff like this.

I know I have debated this same subject with others on other forums. It does seem to vary according to location.
I've noticed at my local Walmarts it even varies from time to time. Sometimes the bottles will have the WPP stamped in them - other times they will not!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Hey Mark, I have to say Kudos to you for your research and thought on this. I expected the typical "who makes ST oil" thread and this one was the most informational we've had in a long time.

thumbsup2.gif

+1

Now for some outloud thinking. How often does WalMart put out an oil contract? If it changes frequently would it benefit SOPUS or XOM to develop a product for WM or just bottle what they have? Meaning, would it be worth all the testing and $ to have a new oil certified for each viscosity, if it might change?

IMO what WM wants WM gets. And if that means PP in a ST bottle, they would get it.

From Warren Perfomance Products website... WPP Site

MANUFACTURING:
-In-house blow molding
-Computerized in-line blending
-Viscosity modifier solubolization
-In-house quality control lab
-Lean manufacturing
-6.5 million gallons fluid storage
-Synthetic Motor Oil
-Accel
-Mag 1
-Polar

PACKAGING:
-Custom design, private label
-In-house carton printing
-In-house label design
-State-of-the-art, high speed filling equipment
-780 different products packaged in our facilities under 40 different labels

DISTRIBUTION:
-Seamless Efficiency
-BOSS state-of-the-art warehouse management system
-1/2 mile powered sortation conveyor
-Paperless Radio Frequency order processing
-Ability to ship each case or pallet up to multiple truckloads
-Cross dock shipments for individual stores available

Originally Posted By: Mark888

With the dramatic drop in crude prices, expect to see prices of motor oil drop accross the board, even if formulas stay the same.

The price drops are already happening. I think every oil Walmart carries with the exception of Mobil 1 has come down in price from its high point.

WalMart QS price reductions are due to "new" QS products coming out. Havoline discounts were due to WalMart discontinuing carrying Havoline. Most other prices have been static as far as I can see. Might be a few pennies, but nothing like what most are looking for.

All Valvoline has come down in price as well. The Synpower is down to $21, Maxlife to $14, Premium Conventional to $13.50

Pennzoil has come down as well, except for Platinum.

The new QS oils are available here, now, and are selling for the same price as what they replaced.

Oh my this is confusing
27.gif
I just changed the oil in my truck and put in WM supertech SYN 5w-30, because they were out of PP 5w-20. I am mad at my truck for constantly sticking it'ts tongue out at me with that frickn check engine light. (I have basically replaced the whole intake)

Anyway, here I think I am punishing the beast
spankme2.gif
, and I may have been spoiling it
thankyou2.gif
. Oh dear.

While I am curious who makes it, and wonder if the confusion is on purpose so we don't catch on, it gave great UOA so I tried it in a pinch. For me the issue will be is there a benefit after a 5 K run to spend $8 more on PP. I will do a UOA after 5 K.
My worry would be, is there something different in the bottle everytime I buy it. (Although it seems name brand are constantly
fiddling with formulas as well)

Good luck with your quest M888

Last edited:
When you type in MSDS# 9653 which is listed as the MSDS# for Super Tech full syn 10w-30 on a msds report from 7/7/08 you get this MG03135G MAG 1 10W30 MOTOR OIL 00009653.pdf

Material Safety Data Sheet Revision Date: 2009-01-07 11:03:26
I. PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
Product Name: MAG 1 10W30 MOTOR OIL
Product Code: MG03135G
Emergency Phone: (800) 424-9300 (202) 483-7616 (CHEMTREC)

Poison Control Center: (800) 222-1222
Company: Warren Distribution, Inc.
727 S. 13th St.
Omaha, NE 68102
Information Phone: (800) 825-1235 (402) 341-9397
Revision Number: 11
II. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Name % CAS # OSHA Exposure Limits
Distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 60 - 90 64742-54-7 No PEL established
Distillates (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic 7 - 13 64742-65-0 No PEL established
Components not listed are not physical or health hazards as defined in 29 CFR 1910.1200 (Hazard Communication
Standard).
III. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Immediate (Acute) Health Effects by Route of Exposure:
Inhalation Irritation: Inhalation of vapors (generated at high temperatures only) or oil mist may cause mild
irritation of the nose, throat, and respiratory tract.
Skin Contact: Lubricating oils are generally considered no more than minimally irritating to the skin.
Eye Contact: Lubricating oils are generally considered no more than minimally irritating to the eyes.
May cause slight irritation of the eyes.
Ingestion Irritation: Although this product has a low order of acute oral toxicity, aspiration of minute
amounts into the lungs during ingestion or vomiting may cause mild to severe pulmonary
injury and possibly death.
Ingestion Toxicity: Lubricating oils are generally no more than slightly toxic if swallowed.
Long-Term (Chronic) Health Effects:
Reproductive and
Developmental Toxicity:
No data available to indicate product or any components present at greater than
0.1% may cause birth defects.
Mutagenicity: No data available to indicate product or any components present at greater than
0.1% is mutagenic or genotoxic.
Skin Contact: Prolonged and repeated contact may result in defatting and drying of the skin
that may cause various skin disorders such as dermatitis, folliculitis, or oil acne.
Other adverse effects not expected from brief skin contact.
HMIS Ratings:
Health: 1
Flammability: 1
Reactivity: 0
PPE: B
0 - Least 1 - Slight 2 - Moderate 3 - High 4 - Extreme
IV. FIRST-AID MEASURES
MAG 1 10W30 MOTOR OIL Page 1 of 4
Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. If breathing is difficult, have a trained individual administer oxygen. If
not breathing, give artificial respiration and have a trained individual administer oxygen.
Get medical attention immediately.
Eyes: Flush with water. If irritation occurs, get medical attention. Rest eyes for 30 minutes. If
redness, burning, blurred vision, or swelling occur, transport to nearest medical facility for
additional treatment.
Skin Contact: Remove contaminated clothing and shoes and wipe excess from skin. Flush skin with
water, then wash with soap and water. If irriation occurs, get medical attention. Do not
reuse clothing until cleaned. If redness, swelling, pain, and/or blisters occur, transport to
the nearest medical facility for additional treatment.
Ingestion: Minimal risk of harm if swallowed. Do not induce vomiting. Seek medical attention
immediately. Provide medical care provider with this MSDS.
Notes to Doctor: Aspiration during swallowing or vomiting may severely damage the lungs.
V. FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES
Flammability Summary: Combustible at elevated temperatures
Extinguishing Media: Use alcohol resistant foam, carbon dioxide, or dry chemical when
fighting fires. Water or foam may cause frothing if liquid is burning but
it still may be a useful extinguishing agent if carefully applied to the
surface of the fire. Do Not direct a stream of water into the hot burning
liquid.
Fire and/or Explosion Hazards: Material may be ignited only if preheated to temperatures above the
high flash point, for example in a fire.
Fire Fighting Methods and Protection: Do not enter fire area without proper protection including selfcontained
breathing apparatus and full protective equipment. Use
methods for the surrounding fire.
Hazardous Combustion Products: Carbon dioxide, Carbon monoxide
Flash Point: 233 deg. C, [ 451 deg. F ]
Upper Flammable/Explosive Limit, % in air: 7.0
Lower Flammable/Explosive Limit, % in air: 9.0
VI. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
Personal Precautions and Equipment: No health affects expected from the clean-up of this material if contact
can be avoided. Follow personal protective equipment
recommendations found in Section VIII of this MSDS
Methods for Clean-up: Prevent the spread of any spill to minimize harm to human health and
the environment if safe to do so. Wear complete and proper personal
protective equipment following the recommendation of Section VIII at
a minimum. Dike with suitable absorbent material like granulated clay.
Gather and store in a sealed container pending a waste disposal
evaluation.
VII. HANDLING AND STORAGE
Handling Technical Measures and
Precautions:
Mildly irritating material. Avoid unnecessary exposure.
Storage Technical Measures and
Conditions:
Store in a cool dry ventilated location. Isolate from incompatible
materials and conditions. Keep container(s) closed. Do not expose to
extreme temperatures or flames.
VIII. EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION
MAG 1 10W30 MOTOR OIL Page 2 of 4
Engineering Measures: No exposure limits exist for the constituents of this product. No engineering controls
are likely to be required to maintain operator comfort under normal conditions of use.
Respiratory Protection: No respiratory protection required under normal conditions of use.
Respirator Type(s): None required where adequate ventilation is provided. If airborne concentrations are
above the applicable exposure limits, use NIOSH/MSHA approved respiratory
protection.
Eye Protection: Wear safety glasses when handling this product if there is a likelihood of contact with
eyes.
Skin Protection: Not normally considered a skin hazard. Where use can result in skin contact, practice
good personal hygiene. Wash hands and other exposed areas with mild soap and water
before eating, drinking, and when leaving work.
Gloves: Neoprene
Control Parameters:
Chemical Name ACGIH TLV-TWA ACGIH STEL IDLH
Distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic No TLV ND
Distillates (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed heavy
paraffinic
No TLV ND
OSHA PEL TWA for oil mist is 5mg/m3, ACGIH TLV TWA for oil mist is 5mg/m3, ACGIH STEL for oil mist is
10mg/m3
IX. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Physical State: Liquid
pH: ND
Solubility in Water: Insoluble
Evaporation Rate: 0.5-2 (n-Butyl acetate = 1)
Specific Gravity: 0.868
Bulk Density: 7.243
Flash Point: 233 deg. C
Upper Flammable/Explosive Limit,
% in air:
Lower Flammable/Explosive Limit,
% in air:
X. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
Stability: Stable under normal conditions.
Conditions to Avoid: Temperatures above the high flash point of this combustible
material in combination with sparks, open flames, or other
sources of ignition.
Materials to Avoid/Chemical Incompatibility: Strong oxidizing agents
Hazardous Decomposition Products: Carbon monoxide, sulfur oxides, aldehydes, and other
petroleum decomposition products in the case of incomplete
combustion. Oxides of nitrogen, phosphorus, calcium, copper,
magnesium, sodium, and hydrogen sulfide may also be present.
XI. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Component Toxicology Data (NIOSH):
Chemical Name CAS Number LD50/LC50
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated heavy
paraffinic
64742-54-7 Inhalation LC50 Rat: 2.18 mg/L/4H; Oral LD50 Rat:>2000 mg/kg;
Dermal LD50 Rabbit:>2000 mg/kg
MAG 1 10W30 MOTOR OIL Page 3 of 4
Petroleum distillates, solvent dewaxed
heavy paraffinic
64742-65-0 Inhalation LC50 Rat: 2.18 mg/L/4H; Oral LD50 Rat:>5000 mg/kg;
Dermal LD50 Rabbit:>2000 mg/kg
XII. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Overview: Moderate ecological hazard. This product may be dangerous to plants and/or
wildlife.
Mobility: No data
Persistence: No data
Bioaccumulation: No data
Degradability: No data
XIII. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Disposal of Packaging: Recycle containers whenever possible.
Disposal Methods: Dispose of according to Federal, State, Local, or Provincial regulations. Recycle
used oil.
XIV. TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
DOT & IMDG: NOT RESTRICTED
XV. REGULATORY INFORMATION
TSCA Status: All components of this material are on the US TSCA Inventory or are exempt.
NAFTA Tariff Code: 2710.19.0000
Chemical Name CAS # Regulation % Range
Toluene 108-88-3 SARA 313 0.001- 0.01
Toluene 108-88-3 CA Prop 65 - Dev.
toxicity
0.001- 0.01
XVI. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Disclaimer: This material safety data sheet and the information it contains is offered to you in good faith as accurate. We have reviewed
any information contained in the data sheet which we have received from outside sources and we believe the information to
be correct, but cannot guarantee its accuracy or completeness. Health and safety precautions in this data sheet may not be
adequate for all individuals and/or situations. It is the user's obligation to evaluate and use this product in a safe manner and
to comply with all applicable laws and regulations. No statement made in this data sheet shall be construed as permission or
recommendation for the use of any product in a manner that might infringe existing patents. No warranty is made, either
expressed or implied.
MAG 1 10W30 MOTOR OIL Page 4 of 4s

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
When you type in MSDS# 9653 which is listed as the MSDS# for Super Tech full syn 10w-30 on a msds report from 7/7/08 you get this MG03135G MAG 1 10W30 MOTOR OIL 00009653.pdf

We are aware of that, and the PDF you copied has already been posted via a link.

There are multiple SuperTech Synthteic MSDS's on the Walmart MSDS webstie. Some are for MAG (Warren) and some are for Specialty Oil Company, which has been determined to be SOPUS, owend by Shell Oil. SOPUS includes Quaker State and Pennzoil.

We have not yet determined which MSDS applies to the current SuperTech Synthetic motor oil that is now on Walmart shelves in their retail stores.

I was told by Tech Support at Royal Dutch Shell Corporation, (the makers of Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Rotella engine lubricants) that the Walmart brand of full synthetic oil (that is bottled by Warren Packaging Co. for Walmart), is supplied to Warren by Royal Dutch Shell, and is virtually "identical" to Pennzoil Platinum

I just spoke to a Ken from Warren and he told me that they are indeed the manufactuer of Super Tech Full Syn 10w-30 for Walmart. The oil for the east coast walmarts are blended at their Pittsburg.Pa. plant and shipped from that location, all other west of the mississipi will come from the california plant. fullsynthetic.pdf (598KB)est . He sent me the UOA of Mag 1 oil, which he said is basically the same and that was all he could give me. if I wanted the walmart info, I would need to contact them direct.

Benefits
• Better engine protection than conventional motor oils in high temperature conditions.
• Lower oil consumption in high temperature conditions.
• Exceptional protection against thermal breakdown of oil and resultant deposits.
• Exceptional wear protection in severe service conditions.
• Outstanding engine start up protection and wear protection at low temperatures.
• Protects against rust and corrosion typical of severe, low temperature stop-and-go driving.
• API SL and ILSAC GF-3 approvals meet nearly every car makers’ warranty requirements.
Full Synthetic
Motor Oils
Typical Physical Properties of MAG 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oils
Test Method Typical Results
Viscosity Grade 5W-30 10W-30
Gravity, °API ................................................ASTM D-287 ..........................34.6 ...............................33.8
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6 ºC) .................ASTM D-287 ..........................0.85 ...............................0.86
Viscosity
@ 40ºC, cSt ................................................ASTM D-445 ..........................56.7 ...............................63.4
@ 100ºC, cSt ..............................................ASTM D-445 ..........................10.3 ...............................10.3
Pour Point, ºC (ºF)..........................................ASTM D-97 .............................-48 .................................-45
Viscosity Index ..............................................ASTM D-2270.........................150 ................................140
Low Temperature Viscosity
cP at Temperature (ºC), Max ........................ASTM D-2602................. High Temperature/High Shear Vis, cP ............ASTM D-4683 ........................2.92 ...............................3.12
NOACK Volatility, % off .............................................................................. Full Synthetic Full Synthetic
5W-30 Motor Oil 10W-30 Motor Oil
Pack/Net Fill 6/32 Oz. 6/32 Oz.
Stock No./Item No. 703/MG53FNPL 513/MG13FHPL
Each UPC 0-71621-00703-7 0-71621-00513-2
Case UPC 0-71621-00704-4 0-71621-00514-9
Case SCC 1-00-71621-00703-4 1-00-71621-00513-9
Pack Dimensions L 9.5" x W 7.625" x H 9.625" L 9.5" x W 7.625" x H 9.625"
Pack Cubes (Ft.3) .403 .403
Pack Weight (lbs.) 11.84 11.84
Pallet Stack 138 Cases (6 layers of 23) 138 Cases (6 layers of 23) £Ó°£Ó@¤Ó

I just spoke to a Ken from Warren and he told me that they are indeed the manufactuer of Super Tech Full Syn 10w-30 for Walmart.

Did he say where they got the components and formula to blend?

Does this contradict what the Shell person told you earlier, or are they blending Shell products, etc?

I was told by Tech Support at Royal Dutch Shell Corporation, (the makers of Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Rotella engine lubricants) that the Walmart brand of full synthetic oil (that is bottled by Warren Packaging Co. for Walmart), is supplied to Warren by Royal Dutch Shell, and is virtually "identical" to Pennzoil Platinum

I would sure like to have this tech support persons name.

Johnny FWIW, I just called Shell and talked to one of their tech reps. She stated they did not have or even if they did have would not release such information as to what they do for what company. Makes sense to me.

My guess is that WPP may not want to disclose that either, since it would probably violate an agreement they have with the supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back