RCR says Filter Exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Times are tough, even for NASCAR teams. It was one of the AAP BOGOs from last year.

Seriously, in 10 years of watching NASCAR on a weekly basis, that's the only time I've ever heard of a filter doing that. Interesting.

The filter was not the issue when Kevin blew a right front tire and hit the wall the impact caused something to hit the filter and it started to leak and explode in fire.

I was drinking during the race but I'm pretty sure the car was on fire and laying down oil BEFORE it hit the wall.

According to to the NASCAR now show there were comments that the tire blew before the filter was cut after the hit I watched the race also and there was fire under the car before he hit the wall the fire really let go after that I thought Kevin was hurt or burned but he was OK.

This post is from Childress Racing. Not sure now if before or after the wall hit the filter had a leak.

No blown engine for Harvick: Earnhardt-Childress Racing Engines employees discovered a punctured oil filter on the engine of Kevin Harvick’s #29 Shell-Pennzoil Chevy after hard contact with the outside wall of Auto Club Speedway on lap 208. The filter was replaced and the engine restarted but the damage done to the car prevented the team from returning to the race and ending Harvick's DNF streak at 81 [3 short of the all-time record]

I'm pretty sure Cup cars use the same setup as our dirt late model. The Oberg and in line filters are to keep any trash out of the dry sump pump. The pressure line off the dry sump goes to a remote spin on filter then to the oil cooler then to the engine. I used a System One spin on cartridge filter for a while. You could take it apart and clean the screens in it but was very hard to get completely clean. Went back to the Wix 51515R.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Jim, exactly. i can guarantee those cars do not use spin on filters. they have 3-5 gallon dry sump tanks behind the driver and use in line filters.

All of the ARCA RE/MAX Series cars (all ex-Sprint cup cars) and the couple of Craftman Trucks I worked on had spin on oil filters, usually mounted up front near the radiator. The team I worked for mostly used Fram, because in my real job, I could buy Fram filters at a super-jobber discount price that was about half of what they were from the Charlotte area racecar parts suppliers. We also used a few Wix. It is real easy for debris off the front tire to fly up and put a hole the filter. We used to actuallt wrap the filters with racer tape to add an extra barrier against stones and other small debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back