Who makes Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: brian12
Even if it is made by Shell I doubt its exactly the same as PP. It is funny though how people flip out if you even mention that a cheaper oil could be similar to their more expensive oil of choice. They pay more for their oil so it is extra good.
LOL.gif

It's not only that they pay more. They may have been using the same brand of oil for many years, maybe their entire lives, and maybe even their dad used that brand of oil. Very emotional subject.

Mark888,

The truth is out there somewhere. Keep up the good work
thumbsup2.gif

one question, is it possible that this particular place in Texas is who makes the add. pack
21.gif

Originally Posted By: gmctodd
one question, is it possible that this particular place in Texas is who makes the add. pack
21.gif

I also just came back from Walmart:

1. All Shell, Quaker State, and Pennzoil products say on the container that they are manufactured and/or distributed by Sopus Products, P.O. Box 4427, Houston, TX. 77210-4427, which is the same address as Specialty Oil Company, which is listed on the Walmart MSDS for synthetic oil (although Walmart also has a SuperTech Synthetic MSDS from Warren).

2. All Walmart branded lubricants, including ATF, brake-fluid, motor oil (and many others) are bottled by WPP. You can tell that from the WPP imprint on the bottom of the container. That does not necessarily mean they are manufactured/blended by WPP (although they could be), but it does mean they are bottled and distributed by WPP.

3. I asked a Walmart service technician who makes SuperTech synthetic oil, and he said he was told Quaker State or Pennzoil, but he wasn't sure. He was not the manager of the department.

4. This is second day in a row I have been to Walmart in the oil department snooping around, but not buying anything, and I think the people monitoring the security cameras are getting suspicious.

I may call Walmart headquarters this week to see which is the current MSDS for SuperTech Synthetic oil.

I spoke to WPP about a week ago concerning WM ST Dex 3 atf and they told me they were one of Walmarts suppliers for the fluid and went on to ask me where I live. So I guess it does depend on where you are located as to who's oil your getting with Supertech. From looking at Walmarts's msds sheets I saw that WPP and Specialty oil Company both supply WM with Supertech dex 3. When I checked out the address for SPC it led me to believe Texaco(Chevron) was one of the makers. Now after seeing the same address for Shell I'm wondering if it is some kind of joint Venture between the two companies.

I spoke to WPP about a week ago concerning WM ST Dex 3 atf and they told me they were one of Walmarts suppliers for the fluid and went on to ask me where I live. So I guess it does depend on where you are located as to who's oil your getting with Supertech. From looking at Walmarts's msds sheets I saw that WPP and Specialty oil Company both supply WM with Supertech dex 3. When I checked out the address for SPC it led me to believe Texaco(Chevron) was one of the makers. Now after seeing the same address for Shell I'm wondering if it is some kind of joint Venture between the two companies.

That may have been the case at one time, but check out this website:
http://www.pzlqs.com/

"On On October 1, 2002, the acquisition of Pennzoil-Quaker State Company by Shell Oil Company, an affiliate of the Royal Dutch/Shell Group of Companies, was completed. In May of 2003, Pennzoil-Quaker State Company began doing business as SOPUS Products. Combining Shell lubricant's networks and infrastructure and Pennzoil-Quaker State Company's leading motor oil brands, portfolio of car care brands and Jiffy Lube stores, the new company is a leader in the U.S. lubricants and car care business."
© Copyright 2003, SOPUS Products, All Rights Reserved

Sopus = Pennzoil-Quaker State.
Sopus is owned by Shell.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
3. I asked a Walmart service technician who makes SuperTech synthetic oil, and he said he was told Quaker State or Pennzoil, but he wasn't sure. He was not the manager of the department.

This is as unreliable as information can get.

While googling for Sopus, I found this connection between Walmart SuperTech and Shell:

Shell Lubricants - Sopus Products - Wal-Mart Shell Lubricants and WalMart Work together and deny responsibility for products made by Shell and purchased at WalMart. Shell: Houston Texas
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/329/RipOff0329102.htm

"This past January, I was using my chainsaw when it ran out of gas. So I used some Super Tech 2 Cycle Precise Mix oil and mixed up a gallon of gas. I then put the gas mixture into my chainsaw and started it up…it ran for about 1 minute and died....I headed over to Wal-Mart where I purchased the oil to fill out a claim against them for the cost of my saw. A few days later I was contacted by Wal-Mart and was told that since they didnt manufacture the oil they would be forwarding my claim to the oil company responsible which was Shell. She told me that I would be contacted by Shell and they would tell me how to proceed..."

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Yes, some of the Super Tech 2 stroke oil is made by Shell.

Doesn't mean the engine oil is, too.

No, it doesn't. However there is an MSDS on the Walmart site that clearly links SuperTech Full Synthetic oil with SOPUS. We don't know if that is a current MSDS or an old one, but it certainly appears that at least some SuperTech Full Synthetic oil is (or was) made by Pennzoil/Quaker State.

That may have been the case at one time, but check out this website:
http://www.pzlqs.com/

"On On October 1, 2002, the acquisition of Pennzoil-Quaker State Company by Shell Oil Company, an affiliate of the Royal Dutch/Shell Group of Companies, was completed. In May of 2003, Pennzoil-Quaker State Company began doing business as SOPUS Products. Combining Shell lubricant's networks and infrastructure and Pennzoil-Quaker State Company's leading motor oil brands, portfolio of car care brands and Jiffy Lube stores, the new company is a leader in the U.S. lubricants and car care business."
© Copyright 2003, SOPUS Products, All Rights Reserved

Sopus = Pennzoil-Quaker State.
Sopus is owned by Shell.

Mark, not sure what your agenda is or what you think you are trying to prove, but you have really got things confused. So I am going to try and help you with some of the names.

1. Parent company: Royal Dutch Shell
2. Shell Oil Company USA = everything Shell i.e. fuels, industrial, and automotive lubricants.
3. Royal Dutch Shell through Shell Oil Company USA buys the Pennzoil-Quaker State Company and all of its subsidiaries.
4. Shell Oil Company USA decides to separate the automotive products from the fuels, industrial, and commercial products.
5. Shell calls the new division SOPUS which stands for Shell Oil Products United States.
6. SOPUS = everything automotive with Shell Oil Company USA, which includes Pennzoil, Quaker State, Formula Shell, Gumout, Snap, Rain-X, Medo, and about 8 other automotive products.

Now, at one time many, many years ago, Speciality Oil was a division of the old Quaker State Company and they did make oil for Wal Mart, it was called Tech-2000. They also made a 2-cycle oil by the name of Itasca which was also packaged for Wal Mart. Now, everyone who had anything to do with Wal Mart knew that these oils were made and packaged by Speciality Oil and that it was a division of Quaker State. However as I stated in another post, after the Pennzoil Quaker State merger, Speciality Oil was sold. Now, when another one of these expert slams comes along and some bozo who lets trees lay in his yard for months is told by some Wal Mart contact (and lord we only know who that might be) tells him the 2-cycle oil is made by Shell, well that person was wrong. All I can assume is that at one time the Speciality Division of Quaker State who made Itasca oil for Walmart, and since Shell now owns the Quaker State brand, someone assumed that Shell made the 2-cycle oil and they were wrong. When Shell told the tree cutter that what he sent in was not their product, they were probably telling him the truth. If he would have bought another small bottle of the oil and sent it in, they would have told him the same thing. Shell does not supply 2-cycle oil to Wal Mart.

Now if you want to believe the oil at Wal Mart is the same as the other products Shell makes, go ahead, knock yourself out.

This is as unreliable as information can get.

It is certainly not conclusive. If I thought it was conclusive, I would not have mentioned the idea of calling Wal-Mart or WPP later this week.

If the Walmart Auto Center employee told me that SuperTech Full Synthetic was made by WPP (not just bottled by them) you would have expected me to disclose that conversation, and I would have.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Mark, not sure what your agenda is or what you think you are trying to prove, but you have really got things confused. So I am going to try and help you with some of the names.

1. Parent company: Royal Dutch Shell
2. Shell Oil Company USA = everything Shell i.e. fuels, industrial, and automotive lubricants.
3. Royal Dutch Shell through Shell Oil Company USA buys the Pennzoil-Quaker State Company and all of its subsidiaries.
4. Shell Oil Company USA decides to separate the automotive products from the fuels, industrial, and commercial products.
5. Shell calls the new division SOPUS which stands for Shell Oil Products United States.
6. SOPUS = everything automotive with Shell Oil Company USA, which includes Pennzoil, Quaker State, Formula Shell, Gumout, Snap, Rain-X, Medo, and about 8 other automotive products.

Now, at one time many, many years ago, Speciality Oil was a division of the old Quaker State Company and they did make oil for Wal Mart, it was called Tech-2000. They also made a 2-cycle oil by the name of Itasca which was also packaged for Wal Mart. Now, everyone who had anything to do with Wal Mart knew that these oils were made and packaged by Speciality Oil and that it was a division of Quaker State. However as I stated in another post, after the Pennzoil Quaker State merger, Speciality Oil was sold. Now, when another one of these expert slams comes along and some bozo who lets trees lay in his yard for months is told by some Wal Mart contact (and lord we only know who that might be) tells him the 2-cycle oil is made by Shell, well that person was wrong. All I can assume is that at one time the Speciality Division of Quaker State who made Itasca oil for Walmart, and since Shell now owns the Quaker State brand, someone assumed that Shell made the 2-cycle oil and they were wrong. When Shell told the tree cutter that what he sent in was not their product, they were probably telling him the truth. If he would have bought another small bottle of the oil and sent it in, they would have told him the same thing. Shell does not supply 2-cycle oil to Wal Mart.

Now if you want to believe the oil at Wal Mart is the same as the other products Shell makes, go ahead, knock yourself out.

Thanks for the info, but I don't think anything you posted is new information.

My agenda is to find out who makes Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic Oil, and I thought that was obvious. Some people seem to have an agenda of accusing people trying to get the answer to that question (and similar questions) as having an ulterior motive. For me it is mostly fun detective work. Who knows, maybe Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic is an excellent motor oil that is a great bargain? I think many people are looking for the best value in a motor oil, including myself.

I prefer facts over brand loyalty, rumor, wishful thinking, etc. No conclusions yet on this one, just some interesting connections and some interesting leads.

I was hoping Johnny would weigh in. Finding out who makes the oil is a small part of the puzzle. Finding the exact chemical analysis is the other part. For the sake of argument, lets say we were 100% certain Shell made the product. Do you think they would take their Flagship Product sell it in its exact formula to be packaged under another brand name to be sold cheap in Wal-mart? I seriously doubt it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was hoping Johnny would weigh in. Finding out who makes the oil is a small part of the puzzle. Finding the exact chemical analysis is the other part. For the sake of argument, lets say we were 100% certain Shell made the product. Do you think they would take their Flagship Product sell it in its exact formula to be packaged under another brand name to be sold cheap in Wal-mart? I seriously doubt it.

That is a good point. But I don't even want to speculate one way or the other quite yet. The first step is to find out who makes it, and then the other question can be addressed if some facts can be obtained to support a conclusion one way or the other.

As to why they would want to sell their oil for a Walmart branded product, it would depend on whether it is profitable for Shell to do so. There is a lot of advertising, marketing, and distribution cost built into the Pennzoil and Quaker State brands, so it could be very profitable. Obviously, even if they did, they wouldn't want it widely known that they provide product for Walmart SuperTech (if in fact they do). This same dilemma exists for many other products and companies.

Edit: Same question could be raised about Mobil. Why do they sell PAO to their competitors? Because it is very profitable to do so.

Last edited:
Who knows, maybe Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic is an excellent motor oil that is a great bargain?

According to the UOA's I've seen, it does quite well.

Now, I'm not sure if it was the WPP oil or not (if there are even any suppliers other than WPP for the synthetic)

Who knows, maybe Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic is an excellent motor oil that is a great bargain?

According to the UOA's I've seen, it does quite well.

Now, I'm not sure if it was the WPP oil or not (if there are even any suppliers other than WPP for the synthetic)

Like I posted earlier, I think that WPP bottles and distributes all SuperTech products, even the ones that they don't make.

That is part of the answer as to why a major oil company would sell product to be used as a Walmart house brand. Because if they sell it in bulk, and it is bottled by WPP, then it's not likely to hurt sales of their branded product.

My agenda is to find out who makes Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic Oil, and I thought that was obvious.

I don't know about other areas, but WPP most certainly makes the ST syn here in the north east. ST syn = WPP's "Mag 1" oils. I have all the old tech sheets on both the syn and older syn blends. Whom ever makes it. Expect a grpIII syn with a mild add-pack. It shows decent UOA's and *used to be* cheap. I'd rather use Q-TP for $15 or Q-HP for $18. IMO, none of the ST oils are the great deal they used to be. Up here, the ST dino is XOM oil. I have these tech sheets too, but again, $10 for ST or $10.50 for QS...why would anyone buy ST anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back