Oil recommendation for 2000 Ford Focus SE SOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be helping out my bro soon and changing the oil on his car. He has had it for a while, but really doesn't know what he has had put in it for oil. It is ready for an oil change, and I don't know what it takes. Owners manual is missing at the moment, so I can refer to that. He lives in Michigan, so he needs something that will handle the cold winter. Most likely regular dino has been used. I am thinking of putting in a synthetic blend, I am guessing it takes 5w-30. Can anyone confirm that?

I will put on a decent quality filter, the PureOne, to replace the quickly lube junk filter as well.

This will be a good learning experience for him, as I will referring him to this message board for more knowledge on how to properly maintain his vehicle.

Id suggest M1 5w-30. If you want a blend, the mobil clean 5w-30 looks like a great option.

Motorcraft oil is an excellent, and cheaper choice. Pennzoil is also a popular favorite that will give excellent results.

JMH

The owner's manual called for 5W-30 oil in the 2000 model year Focus ( for both engines). Ford recommended 5W-20 beginning in 2001.

I've used 5W-30 Mobil 1 year round for the last 75,000 of the 95,000 km on my 2001 ZTW Focus. It starts beautifully no matter what the temperature here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and uses virtually no oil between changes.

Thanks for the confirmations.

As far as OCI, who knows, he is in college and changes it not so often to really not so often. He graduates in December and will move to who knows where, so we are probably talking about six months before it is changed again. He really doesn't drive a lot, so I would be surprised if he broke 6K in 6 months. Like I said before, I am trying to get him in the mindset of keeping an eye on car. Typical 21 year old.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/quickref/oilchart.pdf

This chart should be able to answer your questions.
smile.gif

I would recomend he use Mobil 1 5w-30. He should be able to go 1 year or 10,000 miles but he should do at lease one UOA at 8000 miles to make sure all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back