VW 502, 504, 505.01, &507 official list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Thanks, this will give me an opportunity to break into my Carl Bechem Hessol ADT Plus stash.

What about the ever-popular

Dongying Xinyi Xin Yi 1 ?
45.gif

Originally Posted By: MinivanMauler
Fortunately, I've spent the past few years assembling a 267-liter stash of Beijing Tongyi Petroleum Xin Gai Nian.

According to my American-Chinese dictionary "Xin Gai Nian" means "Zinc Calcium Sticky"

GC has never been listed on any of VW's approved oils lists, to the best of my knowledge. If you read the labeling of GC like a lawyer might, it doesn't actually say it is VW 50X.XX approved.

Last edited:
^^ i don't think they'd be allowed to list the manufacturer names and specs if it didn't meet it. i'd think they'd love to jump all on that with lawyers and sue bp.

I think the reason GC is not listed is because not all Castrol Syntec 0W-30 meets these VW specs, it's only the 0W-30 that is made in Germany that does. I doubt VW feels like explaining this to their customers (the approved list would have to have an asterisk explaining to look on the fine print on the back and ensure that the 0W-30 you're buying is made in Germany....haha).

Anyways, I have a bottle of GC in front of me, and it does claim to meet VW 502 00, 505 00, and 503 01.

The bottle also states that it exceeds the requirements for "Porsche Approved", while alos failing to make the official list of Porsche approved oils, likely for the same reason.

Last edited:
GC 0w30 is vw 503

and if i recall 503 is a much superior vw oil spec then 502 and 505, not many companies made a oil that could meet to its standards so it seems they went with 502/505

this list has nothing for vw 503 so its not on the lists, its is on other tech bulletins and oil lists that cover 503/502/505

I think the reason GC is not listed on official approval lists that it refers to is because it has not been approved. I doubt that car manufacturers care how rare or confusion-causing an approved oil is as long as they got paid and the oil met the test requirements. I could be wrong.

BTW, VW 503.01 is an obsolete VW oil spec. That is, it's been abandoned. VW 502.00 is still current and was been updated in 2005.

The only Syntec labeled Castrol oil to be certified to any Volkswagen specification is Syntec 5W-40, which is certified to 502.00. It makes no difference whether you're talking about the North American market, or otherwise. This is per Volkswagen's latest communication of 30Sept08.

The only current specifications from Volkswagen AG are the 502.00, 505.01 and 504.00/507.00 standards. All others have been superseded.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: rshunter
The only Syntec labeled Castrol oil to be certified to any Volkswagen specification is Syntec 5W-40, which is certified to 502.00. It makes no difference whether you're talking about the North American market, or otherwise...

Oh, right! Here's the actual VW text from their technical bulletin dated 2007:

Quote:
Condition
Engine Oils Which Meet Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards VW 502 00, VW 505 01 and VW 504 00/507 00
17 08 01 Jan. 11, 2008 2012855 Supersedes T. B. Group 17 number 07 15 dated Dec. 21, 2007 due to inclusion
of Castrol Syntec 5W-40 to Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards VW 502 00 sample list in the North American
market.
Engine oils which currently meet VW Oil Quality Standard VW 502 00

"Semantics" indeed...maybe you shouldn't use "technical bulletins" as your gospel? They don't use the word "certified" nor even "approved" anywhere, and it is just a list...

The list is two years out of date and does not cover the 2009 model year...

Quote:
This is per Volkswagen's latest communication of 30Sept08. The only current specifications from Volkswagen AG are the 502.00, 505.01 and 504.00/507.00 standards. All others have been superseded.

Cheers

What does that have to do with anything? We already know that Mr. Obvious...

And "German" Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 says it "specifically formulated to meet" the spec...

What's your point? What is the real "meaning" of the word "meets?" Will Volkswagen void a warranty if one uses 0W-30 instead of 5W-40?

Last edited:
Guess what? You're not the only one who can cut-and-paste, genius...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: rshunter
The only Syntec labeled Castrol oil to be certified to any Volkswagen specification is Syntec 5W-40, which is certified to 502.00. It makes no difference whether you're talking about the North American market, or otherwise...

Oh, right! Here's the actual VW text from their technical bulletin dated 2007:
Quote:
Condition
Engine Oils Which Meet Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards VW 502 00, VW 505 01 and VW 504 00/507 00
17 08 01 Jan. 11, 2008 2012855 Supersedes T. B. Group 17 number 07 15 dated Dec. 21, 2007 due to inclusion
of Castrol Syntec 5W-40 to Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards VW 502 00 sample list in the North American
market.
Engine oils which currently meet VW Oil Quality Standard VW 502 00

So what's your point? You've managed to confirm exactly what I said, only with a smart-arsed tone.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
"Semantics" indeed...maybe you shouldn't use "technical bulletins" as your gospel? They don't use the word "certified" nor even "approved" anywhere, and it is just a list...

The list is two years out of date and does not cover the 2009 model year...

Perhaps the difference is that I'm not going by a two year old document someone found, but instead by the latest info on Volkswagen's online service network? BTW, this info does cover 2009 model year vehicles.

Volkswagen has a specific test requirement for an oil to gain certification. If a manufacturer doesn't want to pay to get it, fine. Claiming that it meets the requirement means squat. If it's been tested and met the requirements, it's on the list. GC isn't on the list and that's because it hasn't been tested, plain and simple. People can speculate all they want and it still means squat...

Oh, and try getting a lubrication related failure covered by warranty if you're using a non-certified oil. Volkswagen doesn't do this to try and find ways to fill time.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if you wanted to run cases worth of old canned Pennzoil 10W-40 through your engine, if that would make you happy. It's information, do with it as you will.

P.S.: You should work on your knowledge. The oil list does, in fact, consist of oils approved by Volkswagen due to their having met VW's certification requirements. If you have some proof that VW just picks names at random to publish, feel free to prove me wrong...

FYI, after an oil is submitted for evaluation and found to meet requirements, Volkswagen's official documentation provided to the oil manufacturer states...

Originally Posted By: Volkswagen AG
So that it is clear to both customers and workshops that this approval has been granted, containers should state:

"approved under VW Standard 504 00 and VW Standard 507 00" *using the approval of a 504/507 as an example

Notice that pesky little "approval" thing? Perhaps it's time to break out that ol' thesaurus?

Hi,
ArticCat - You said:
"The bottle also states that it exceeds the requirements for "Porsche Approved", while also failing to make the official list of Porsche approved oils, likely for the same reason."

No SAE30 viscosity has been on Porsche's Approved lubricants's List since around MY99. SAE30 lubricants are Approved for the VW V6 engine used in the Porsche Cayenne

One reason is related to both the 100C & HTHS viscosity performance over an extended test period - amongst others

I have not got the latest 2009 versions of Porsche's Approvals
Lists "30" and "40". Lubricants on these Lists may/may not be applicable from MY73 or MY84 as previous Lists were. Castrols lubricants on the MY>84 Lists were all SAE40 viscosity lubricants (M1 5W-50 being the only SAE50 lubricant)

Originally Posted By: JAG
BTW, VW 503.01 is an obsolete VW oil spec. That is, it's been abandoned. VW 502.00 is still current and was been updated in 2005.

503.01 was a specific oil for TT 225, S3, W8 and a few other Audi models. Which has now been absorbed into the 504.00 spec.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
ArticCat - You said:
"The bottle also states that it exceeds the requirements for "Porsche Approved", while also failing to make the official list of Porsche approved oils, likely for the same reason."

No SAE30 viscosity has been on Porsche's Approved lubricants's List since around MY99. SAE30 lubricants are Approved for the VW V6 engine used in the Porsche Cayenne

Well I was just stating what the label on the GC stated. The serial number on the base is M06xxxxxxx which, according to the GC FAQ, is oil produced in 2006. I'm not sure why a major oil company like Castrol would claim to "exceed" the requirements of "Porsche Approved" if they do not in fact exceed it.

As for GC being the only 30 weight on the list, I don't find this surpising, as GC is designed to meet many Euro specs that usually require an oil with an HTHS of >3.5. Can you name any other 30 weight oils that have an HTHS of >3.5? Almost every oil with an HTHS of >3.5 is a 40 weight.

I think if it were not for the fact that GC comes in two 'strains' (the American and the German version), then GC would be on both the VW 502 00 list and the Porsche Approved list.

Originally Posted By: ArcticCat
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
ArticCat - You said:

Well I was just stating what the label on the GC stated. The serial number on the base is M06xxxxxxx which, according to the GC FAQ, is oil produced in 2006. I'm not sure why a major oil company like Castrol would claim to "exceed" the requirements of "Porsche Approved" if they do not in fact exceed it.

As for GC being the only 30 weight on the list, I don't find this surpising, as GC is designed to meet many Euro specs that usually require an oil with an HTHS of >3.5. Can you name any other 30 weight oils that have an HTHS of >3.5? Almost every oil with an HTHS of >3.5 is a 40 weight.

I think if it were not for the fact that GC comes in two 'strains' (the American and the German version), then GC would be on both the VW 502 00 list and the Porsche Approved list.

Some comments, in reply to your 3 paragraphs, that I hope are helpful:

A potential reason that Castrol may claim to "exceed" the requirements of "Porsche Approved" is to increase sales.

Doug indirectly said GC is not on a current Porsche list. Regarding HTHS viscosity, there are many 10W-30 mineral-based motor oils that have HTHS >3.5 cP (most being HDEOs). World-wide, there are many 5W-30 and 0W-30 synthetics with HTHS >3.5 cP.

Castrol no longer markets in the U.S. what has been called something like American Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back