Kohler M18 Engine Oil. Why 30wt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that the KT series and Magnum series still call from 30wt oil only? Upon installation into my JD 317 I used M1 10-30 for now since its cold out but I'm wondering about the summer time. What would make oil consumtion go up since its all a 30wt oil anyway at operating temps?

If need be I was thinking of running Rotella 30wt in the summer. "OR" Amsoil Small engine 10w-30/30wt oil

My John Deere has a 19.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. They give 4 oil choices depending upon air temperatures. It also says that oil consumption will go up if multi viscosity oils are used "unless it is a synthetic multi viscosity" and they highly recommend the use of synthetic. I now use a relatively thin 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil.(100C cSt only 13.8)

I think the reason straight 30 HD is recommended is because the extremely high oil temperatures of air cooled lawn mower engines can cause conventional multi viscosity oils to burn off. Synthetics are much more resistant to this so are suggested for multi viscosity use.

Last edited:
Bill, I already dl'ed them it still calls for 30wt unless you see it somewhere else. Thats why Kohler continues to market their Magnum line of oil.

Originally Posted By: Mkos1980
Why is it that the KT series and Magnum series still call from 30wt oil only?

It's just old school spec carry-overs IMO. The manufactures are not going to throw resources at studying new oil technology for old engine designs. You can swap a 5w30, 10w30 or 0w30 with an SAE 30wt any day of the week w/out issue. The key is keeping it full and a decent change interval.

Joel

I have tested many oils and yes the consumption will go up, but no ill will come if it is topped off. The other thing is the oil (multigrade passneger car) is rated for 100 degrees c oprating and air cooled engines will often see higher, thus causing the oil to vaporize more so than in a car with water cooling or air to air coolers for the oil.

On my 8HP K181, I saw a sump temp of 247 on my digital temp probe. This was just a day I did (5) 4 acre lawns and it was 83 degrees F ambient. I don;t really know how hot it usually runs or the hottest it ran because I only checked it that once. I thought that was hot, but who knows, maybe it runs in the 300's?

After looking at a ton of posts, I've decided to go with the M! 10-30 High Mileage. From the data on Mobil it appears to be a thicker oil then the regular M1 10-30 plus has more additives. Reason I went this route is because I use the tractor alot in the fall with leaves and sometimes its only 35-40 outside. I'm goig to ru this with a Napa 7035 Filter

I run the Amsoil 10w30/SAE30 Small engine oil. Consumption has not been any more that with SAE 30 Valvoline. My operating temp have gone down slightly and it would take some major heat to vaporize it.

I know the opposed cylinder Kohler twins sometimes will drink oil, especially multi-weight. When my Dad had Wheel Horse with a 17 twin, we ran HD40 to keep the consumption down.

I have a 2006 J D 135A with a briggs 22HP I run Amsoil formula 4 stroke power sports 0W40 year round it has a -60 pour point that makes for easy starts in the winter when plowing the driveway and it takes the heat of summer mowing with the same ease. I change the oil and filter(also Amsoil) once a year and never have had to add one drop of oil between changes since I got the thing new in March 2006. It runs like a top with no problems with heat or cold temps.

We have a M18 Twin in a Cub Cadet 1810 Lawn Tractor. The tractor is a 1980's vintage with the original engine never appart for service. Have been using CI-4 and now CJ-4 15W-40 Diesel oil (Mobil Delvac 1300 Super or Chevron Delo 400). 50 hour changes with no oil adds. Engine IIRC is over 780 hours. First 500 hours used 30 weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back