M1 5w40 TurboDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to get my usual 0w40 today but found they were out of stock; however, I did find jugs of M1 5w40 Turbo-Diesel at a pretty good price ($26.99). I did a little research on this oil & it looked very good or better than the M1 I've been using. Any thoughts on using this oil in a VW 1.8 turbo?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: JAG
I used it on my last OCI. Ran it just under 5K miles and varnish built up.

Varnish built up in one OCI of 5000 miles? With a synthetic?? With a diesel synthetic???

Quote:

Wow. Talk about cherry picking the details. 8)

Last edited:

I don't have much experience with this oil but this doesn't sound right. I've never seen a M1 oil do what you are saying in any kind of engine. Perhaps a mechanical problem of some sort?

Originally Posted By: tig1

I don't have much experience with this oil but this doesn't sound right. I've never seen a M1 oil do what you are saying in any kind of engine. Perhaps a mechanical problem of some sort?

It is the nature of this engine to make oils varnish in short order. While using some other synthetic oils earlier in the engine's life, varnish also built up. Every oil has it's limit and they aren't all equal. I just happen to have an engine that makes it easy to find those limits.

It is the nature of this engine to make oils varnish in short order. While using some other synthetic oils earlier in the engine's life, varnish also built up. Every oil has it's limit and they aren't all equal. I just happen to have an engine that makes it easy to find those limits.

May I ask which oils did and did not cause varnish in this particular engine?

Can anyone explain why Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40 is listed 3 times? Are any of these the same as the TDT since the 502 spec is not listed on the bottle?

Originally Posted By: DasAuto
Can anyone explain why Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40 is listed 3 times? Are any of these the same as the TDT since the 502 spec is not listed on the bottle?

Listed 3 times where?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: AndyH
Originally Posted By: DasAuto

Listed 3 times where?
21.gif

Here: http://my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/volkswagen_technical_bulletin17-08-01engine_oils.pdf

I personally think those are versions sold in other countries. Here is a Chinese version that meets it (the ash indicates that it's not also a CJ-4 oil): http://www.mobil.com/China-English/Lubes/PDS/glxxenpvlmomobil1_5w-40.pdf Some searching like I did may yield several other countries that get oils under same name that meet VW 502.

If the U.S. version of 5W-40 TDT (meeting CJ-4, etc.) was VW 502 approved, I think that XOM would mention it since it would probably increase total M1 oil sales, though that may also take away buyers of Mobil 1 0W-40 (not an issue IMO). But that is speculation.

Originally Posted By: SubieHo

May I ask which oils did and did not cause varnish in this particular engine?

Good question. I will have to study my records carefully to avoid making false conclusions. The OCIs varied and my initial discovery of the varnish may have been a little while after it started, so it is going to be difficult to make definitive judgements about all the oils I've used. If I can come up with something worth posting, I'll post it.

In the US and Canada, Mobil synthetic 5w40 oils -- Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 TDT -- are only API rated.

Many VW TDI owners are using TDT, even in the applications where a VW505.01-rated oil is specified. My '03 TDI has had M1 5w40 in the crankcase since the first oil change at 5k miles, except for one unfortunate experiment with a pricier 0w30 product which will stay unnamed. (UOA showed high wear rates and I drained it ASAP.)

I do not know if TDT is the right choice for BMW and VW gasoline engines. I suspect it is not the best choice, but can't believe it would hurt anything.

isn't the phosphorous in this stuff bad for the catalytics on newer gas engines? or whatever the added anti-wear additive is...

I believe that may be true for BMWs anyway...

Hi,
330indy - It is unwise to use a diesel specific engine lubricant in a petrol engine

HDEOs that can be used safely are called "mixed fleet" lubricants and these have both diesel and petrol engine ratings under the API system (some under ACEA too) - such as CJ-4/SM

Hi Doug,

So are you saying that the Mobil TDT would be okay to use since it is CJ-4? Since you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on Mobil products, perhaps you can shed some light on the multiple listings for Mobil Turbo Diesel 5W-40 listed as 502 approved.

Please show me where M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is listed as "VW 502.00 approved."

From the Mobil Web site:

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck Meets or Exceeds the following industry and builder specifications:
5W-40
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/ SM/SL/SJ X
ACEA E7/E5/ X
Caterpillar ECF-2,ECF-3 X

I'm not saying that. In an earlier post I mentioned that the 502 list mentions 5W-40 Mobil Turbo Diesel several times. Was trying to find out if any of those were the same as TDT.

Hi,
DasAuto - I cannot answer your question accurately. The formulation of some lubricants may vary according to the engine Manufacturer's Approval standards in the country of manufacture (or eventual distribution)

I suspect that it is a variant of Delvac 1 SHC 5W-40 that was sold here in Australia until withdrawn around 2000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back