The overrated 88

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in NASCAR country. I have friends who work in the Cup garage. I'm a laid back, level-headed guy. I enjoy NASCAR, but see it very objectively.

With that said, Dale Jr. is THE MOST overrated driver in the sport. I started watching in the mid 90s and no one has received the hype he has, without the talent to match. In fact, in terms of hype received and actual results, it couldn't be more out of proportion. The guy makes as many unforced errors as anyone I have ever watched race. Specifically, I mean things like pit road mistakes (two in the Daytona 500; seemingly weekly), on-track errors (first lap at summer Bristol race last year) and driving into walls (Michigan last summer).

I don't dislike the guy but anyone not seeing the world through green and white glasses can tell his talent and status just don't match up. (Same goes with his cousin crew chief. Watch how many races they'll start out as a top 10 car and then quickly adjust their way backwards in the field.)

Junior seems like a good enough guy and he handles the constant attention much better than I would. But if I was starting a new team and had my pick of drivers, I'd probably pick 12 to 15 before I'd cosider Earnhardt.

If it was not for his dad, I don't think he would even be in NASCAR.

He is a nice guy, but will never accomplish 25% of what # 3 did in his career.

Sometimes it seems like he isn't operating on all cylinders. Maybe a few too many hard crashes. In his post race interview yesterday he seemed not quite there and his speech a bit challenged.

I think Dale Sr. gets the nod here 7 time champ- and 80+ wins?

Jr. defenitely doesn't have the talent dad did. However as a side note, I think he is one of the best drivers on restrictor plate tracks EVEN though that didn't exactly play out last weekend.

He does have a problem with self inflicted pain, he simply defeats himself with little mental mistakes.

This year should be interesting, when you are in Hendricks machinery, there are no excuses. The first year, yes, he can get away with the 'adjustment' period and making the chase, but 2nd year- he needs a championship at his age.

Which I think is his ultimate problem. He lept at the opprotunity to go from the barn yard to the big leagues (DEI to Hendrick) and he doesn't seem to be adapting well to the pin stripes (bad NY Yankees analogy). Obviously when you see mental mistakes happening multiple times in one race then it shows you the stress a person is putting himself under that he can't endure. He doesn't show it to the media but that's where he's good. He knows if something doesn't happen this year, it's never going to get any better.

IMHO, he should have went to RCR and had a happy career. He would not have the elite equipment but very close and competitive chassis, suspension packages, and engines. Also, he would be rid of the 'stress' that he now finds himself under.

He's my favorite driver but defenitely not the best and I can admit that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
But....the Old Man produced.....

produced wrecks just like his son........
45.gif

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Sometimes it seems like he isn't operating on all cylinders. Maybe a few too many hard crashes. In his post race interview yesterday he seemed not quite there and his speech a bit challenged.

I think he has all his marbles. He is VERY shy. I think that is why he's so soft spoken and shaky during interviews.

I think his biggest problem is he's too aggressive early on. He races like it's a heat race, when there's 75% of the race left. He'd have better results if he'd hang back and then pounce when there's 50 laps left.

If you watch the documentary "Dale" on CMT, there was some pretty serious hostility between Jr. and pop. When Jr. was young, senior was always out racing and wasn't around for Jr. Plus, senior wanted Jr. to be a driver and Jr. Didn't want to be. But he finally got into a race car to please senior so senior would give him some attention.

[censored], if I was Dale Earnhardt's kid, I'd have dropped out of elementary school and become a driver!

Jr. has talent, but I think he also feels a tremendous amount of weight in carrying the family name. Constantly thinking about that and having the stress of needing to perform for Hendrick, gets to him. Even in the car. I think that's why he makes dumb mistakes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: genynnc

IMHO, he should have went to RCR and had a happy career.

I totally agree with that! Richard Childress would have been a great owner for Jr. since Childress knows the family so well. Childress I think could have helped Jr. better cope with the fame and carrying on the Earnhardt legacy.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If you watch the documentary "Dale" on CMT, there was some pretty serious hostility between Jr. and pop. When Jr. was young, senior was always out racing and wasn't around for Jr. Plus, senior wanted Jr. to be a driver and Jr. Didn't want to be. But he finally got into a race car to please senior so senior would give him some attention.

[censored], if I was Dale Earnhardt's kid, I'd have dropped out of elementary school and become a driver!

Jr. has talent, but I think he also feels a tremendous amount of weight in carrying the family name. Constantly thinking about that and having the stress of needing to perform for Hendrick, gets to him. Even in the car. I think that's why he makes dumb mistakes.

Very well said. Thanks

I actually think Rick Hendrick is good for Junior. If he's feeling the heat or mentally fragile, Hendrick needs to prop him up. And I would say if anyone (besides his sister) could, Hendrick could. They say he's an excellent manager.

I like the idea of a crew chief swap. If Junior couldn't win with Knaus, he's not going to win. If the Junior/Eury Jr. combo fails to win again this year, it will be interesting to see if Hendrick would be willing to break up the JJ/Knaus relationship to try and get Junior that title. I think that is Junior's best - and maybe only - shot at a title.

I saw on TV that Dale Jr makes ten million a year just in indorsments. I think he will be around for a long time, even if he doesn't have a winning season.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
If it was not for his dad, I don't think he would even be in NASCAR.

He is a nice guy, but will never accomplish 25% of what # 3 did in his career.
thumbsup2.gif

Whoops forgot; Sr. drove the way he did because he was used to having to try to win so he could provide. Unlike Gordon, and others whom were given everything. I'd like to have seen Nascar run a few dirt races during the Sprint Cup season like you read about in the racing "history" books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back