Can you ever have enough tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course not. You can never buy them as fast as inventors can make them.
LOL.gif

Absolutely not, if you plan on doing all of your own automotive work. Just bought a cooling fan holder/wrench set, and a FWD drive axle puller. What I save on labor, I invest in tools, for next time.

Originally Posted By: spyghost
to add, better invest on those tools while you are single! else,
27.gif
spankme2.gif
06.gif

Since I maintain and fix all the cars in the family, my darling bride never complains about any tool purchase. Here in Vegas any minor car repair at a shop or the dealer is a standard $600, and if it involves any complexity at all, it's double that. I can't buy enough tools to make a significant impact on the savings.

And to answer the original question, no, you can't have enough tools. You can have a shortage of storage space, however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted By: spyghost
to add, better invest on those tools while you are single! else,
27.gif
spankme2.gif
06.gif

Since I maintain and fix all the cars in the family, my darling bride never complains about any tool purchase. Here in Vegas any minor car repair at a shop or the dealer is a standard $600, and if it involves any complexity at all, it's double that. I can't buy enough tools to make a significant impact on the savings.

And to answer the original question, no, you can't have enough tools. You can have a shortage of storage space, however.

You are lucky to have a wife that lets buy the tools you need. A lot of guys are not that fortunate.

By the way what is the labor rate in Nevada?

Last edited:
I haven't looked lately, but I've been told it's about $90 a time unit. You're supposed to think the time unit is an hour, but by my calculations it's more like 1/2 an hour.
Had a friend take his Yukon in to the dealer for the second water pump in just over a year. He told them to flush the radiator, change the belts and the radiator hoses at the same time. They charged the book rate for each item as if it was a separate thing even though the labor on the pump included 90% of the rest of it. With a transmission flush, it was over $1000.

I'm an electrical engineer, and I simply refuse to pay over 5 times what I make an hour for a technican to work on my car, no matter how talented he is. The unfortunate result of that is I end up doing the maintenance and minor repair on lots of relatives' and neighgbors' cars.

I don't think you can have too many tools, but you can have too little space for them. I have most of the tools I actually need so now it is usually just stuff that I buy on the spur of the moment. Having a Harbor Freight store real close makes it real easy to buy stuff I don't really need, but can say that it might come in handy sometime. So far I've had pretty good luck with their stuff and while it isn't for everyday use it has worked well for the occasional use. I just hate having too many people know what I have. Having the wrong person knowing can be a quick way of having to end up replacing stoln stuff.

Yup, they got into my detached garage and were trying to get my Snap On triple decker roll box down the drive way a few years back at night luckily the wife heard it and turned on the outside lights they left in a hurry in a pick up truck backed into the driveway. Boxes and Snaps are in the basement now pain in the a$$ whrn i need them but at least i still have them. Just keep a few China freight stuff in the garage now. Police said that it was most likely some one who knew they were in the garage, loose lips sink ships was how the old attage goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back