2000 Honda Accord Oil "Leak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJM

I have a 2000 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder.
Mileage is about 144,000.

The main probem I have with the car right now is that is using/consuming/leaking oil.

My mechanic said it is not leaking oil under the car because everything is dry under the car. He said it is typical of Hondas to "use" some oil as they get older, probably going out the tailpipe. He said a quart between oil changes is not uncommon.

First, is that true that older Hondas have a history of using oil?

Second, what do you suggest to help limit the oil usage?
A heavier oil? If so, what weight?
An additive of some sort? Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak?

Thanks for the helping the new guy.

Last edited:
All engine use oil they have to given heating and unavoidable entry into cylinder, now whether you can tell that via dipstick is less certain. If only a qt. used between OCI's that sounds ideal, no need to top up just change it. If using 5-20/30 try 10w30 and see if helps, if not go to 10w30 HM. What is the miles per qt. here? 3-5k not a problem really, 1-3k that will trouble some, and 1k per qt.? that will trouble most. A working cat will deal with some oil for a while, that's what it does burn un-burned HC"s usually gasoilne related, but oil will convert also.

The PCV valve is in the valve cover, back side, just pulls right out IIRC. I would replace that, assuming this just started recently. Five bucks~ish.

Are you sure it isn't leaking any oil? No spots on the ground? The rear main seals on these can leak, but you should see it.

A quart between oil changes? Is that a 3000 mile oil change, or the Honda severe service 3750 mile oil change, or Honda recommended 7500 mile oil change?

All older cars use some oil. But this may be alot or alittle, you don't give use much to go on. Maybe you need to monitor this for a few thousand miles.

Last edited:
It's definitely not unusual for any engine with 144k on it to use a little oil. You might try using a 10W-30 High Mileage oil, there are several good ones on the market.

I have never had very good luck with any of the "stop leak" products on the market, and I've used several of them.

Another thing you might also try is using some ARX oil treatment, supposedly it cleans the ring pack so that you stop burning oil. I've never used it, but many on here and the ARX site claim good results, YMMV.

first figure out what is happening,
I disagree, just cause an engine has 144k miles it does not automatically use oil.
check the items the postings suggested.
I have nealry200k on my accord, does not use any. leaks a few drops as the dealership stripped the drain bolt. had 90 accord 4 banger, 160k miles no usuage here also.

I have a 97 accord that leaks/uses a little oil between changes with 240k on the clock. As to the PVC valve, I see it mentions so many times on this site, however I have never seen once malfunction, this particular Honda Accord has the original PVC valve in it, and from reading how to test the PVC valve is to remove it and shake it to see if it rattles, is so it is in good working order, I go one step further and spray some cleaner in it, use a small wooden q-tip or paper clip to make sure the spring works good.

Of the vehicles I work/maintain a Toyota Tocoma with around 120k, Buick Park avenue 110K, honda accord 115k, another 240k, and previous park avenue at 300k all had the original pvc valve in good working order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back