MMO MPG increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody run MMO in the gas tank? MMO is touting MPG improvement when running it.

I am kinda intrigued to try it. I also noticed they tout it for fuel preservative.

i have used MMO for years it was introduced to me by an old time mechanic who was still working on cars into his eighties and that was in the early eighties when i was in my early twenties i still use it now in everything from my garden equipment to the gas tanks of every car i own and tell my customers to use it too it really keeps the fuel system clean and lubed.. its good stuff use it with confidence ...Dont over use it just use the recommended amount

I note miles improve after I STOP USING THEM, and stick with top tier gas, I been using MMo for last 2 month, and fill up 4oz with 10 gallon of gas, I dint note any thing improve, I felt my gas needle drop alot faster, then yesterday I switch to toptier shell gas, and I can feel improve on engine performing and my needle is going really slow. MMO is not working, it cheap shTt ! that why they sell it in a gallon jug for 12 buck at wally world.

Last edited:
It's unlikely you'd see any real mpg improvement with MMO.
It is a upper cylinder/valve lubricant, but that won't help mileage enough to notice.
It will help keep your fuel system clean without harsh 'fuel system cleaners'.
Not expensive either.

Odd that this should come up again just now. I've seen some increase recently, with a 4 oz./10 gal. dose (7 oz. in my 18-gallon tank). I gassed up at the cheapest non-SinoMart station near me the Sunday before Mardi Gras. On Fat Tuesday I took a little run out Highway 90, flat smooth 55-mph cruising, about 40 miles round trip, which probably helped. However . . .

My usual gas mileage for the last couple of months has been about 20.8 over 10-12 days, about 70% city. During this last tankful the gas gauge, that lying robot, dropped more slowly. On my fillup on Friday, I clocked 22.8!

Yes, the open-road cruise was probably most of it -- but maybe MMO helped a bit. Currently I'm testing, keeping the variables as much the same as I can (same gas station, same pump, same early-morning cruise once during the tankful), but without MMO.

I've been using it in gas for a long time, and if my wife should gas up the Aerostar and I forget to put the MMO in I notice the car idle isn't quite as smooth. I am trying an experiment to see if TCW3 makes any difference. I've been logging mpg for the past few weeks in my Aerostar, and after a second run with TCW3 I want to see if there is any difference.

I also ran a tank of TCW3 in my E-150, and the second tank with MMO (have dual gas tanks). I disconnected my Inverse oiler for this test, and can only say that if you run the same 320:1 ratio that MMO suggests using TCW3 it's too strong and cuts down on power. I found that a 620:1 rate, or 2 oz/10 gallons is the way to go with the TCW3. Time will tell, no mpg reports.

I use MMO regularly, but not often. When I use MMO on a highway trip, my MPG's decrease by 2-3 MPG's. The engine does run smoother, and MPG's return to normal on the second tank of gasoline after the treatment.

When I kept mpg records, MMO increased mine mpg slightly ~ 1-2 mpg IIRC. If you are dosing the gas too much mpg will decrease. My thoughts are a 4 cyl engine will probably run better with a little less than the suggested dose of 4 oz/10 gallons of gas. It takes some experimentation with MMO or TCW3, and the average person doesn't have the time/desire to fool around trying to find that rate. Then there's BITOG........

My thinking is the TCW3 might just help a little more in the mpg department, but the MMO is going to keep things cleaner. For me there's only one way to find out, so I started my little informal test.

Frank, I look forward too hearing your results with TCW3.

Have you thought about mixing TCW3 with MMO.

I had mixed some up a while back to clean up open containers I had laying around. I didn't check mpg's or notice anything out of the ordinary, if I recall.

Don't you have a pretty good log of mpg's from your cars? Might be interesting if a few of us who fool around with this stuff would check if there is any difference. I know that my spark plugs always look great when they come out of anything I've added MMO to the gas. I wonder if TCW3 will do the same?

TC-W3 is just a spec from the NMMA that certain 2 stroke oils have to meet, sorta like API SM. Just look for a 2 stroke oil that says TC-W3 and ashless on it. Something like Pennzoil Premium Plus synthetic blend, or the full synthetic. Even the Super Tech marine from Walmart is good.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
TC-W3 is just a spec from the NMMA that certain 2 stroke oils have to meet, sorta like API SM. Just look for a 2 stroke oil that says TC-W3 and ashless on it. Something like Pennzoil Premium Plus synthetic blend, or the full synthetic. Even the Super Tech marine from Walmart is good.

Thanks, now I realize that TCW3 is a spec and not a brand of 2 cycle oil.

I use it extensively as a mechanic. I've never seen improved economy just because it is in the gas tank. I've seen it improve economy because it cleaned injectors/carbs and got crud off the intake valves.

So the answer your question, YES, in my personal experience over the past 20 year, MMO will help fuel economy if your top end needs a cleanin'.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Thanks, now I realize that TCW3 is a spec and not a brand of 2 cycle oil.

Sorry Brent I thought you knew that, my bad. As mentioned get the cheapest brand outboard engine oil, as long as its TCW3 rated you're gtg.

I was just pumping out some PS fluid after an A-Rx treatment on my Aerostar and noticed some jack-[censored] scratched the side today while my wife had it. She took her dad to the Doctor, parked it behind the Dr's office (where I'd never park, but her dad is blind) came out and saw the side all scratched up. She was waiting for the right time to tell me, but I saw it first. Boy that can ruin a perfect day, wish I could find whoever put the scratch in it and return the favor.

That's why I call it a beater, and the Jeep sits in the garage. Hard to keep anything nice on Long Island, unless you have a beater to run around with! You spend all this money trying to keep a car in good shape, and then some ****** parks next to you and Fu...... it up! Rant off.

How did the powersteering fluid look when you took it out.

Can you use some polishing or rubbing compound to get the scratches out.

Fuel consumption in my car and wife's car improved nearly 10% in recent weeks, due to weather warming up and possible change in gasoline formulation. Driving pattern was unchanged.

If you get a load of ethanol tainted gasoline vs non-ethanol gasoline, on a road trip, for example, the effect is similarly dramatic. Such changes make it hard for a casual observer to judge the likes of MMO.

My casual observations suggests that it has a mild beneficial effect when used in older engines, but none in newer engines.

This is using it in fuel, I do not use it in the crankcase.

Originally Posted By: c3po
How did the powersteering fluid look when you took it out.

Can you use some polishing or rubbing compound to get the scratches out.

PS fluid was in good shape, I had the A-rx in for about 1500 miles.

These scratches aren't coming out, very deep through the primer into the metal one is almost 1/16 of an inch wide, and about 6 inches long.

Good info guys.

I pay about #3.94 qt for MMO at Wallyworld. So it would be about $.75 per 16 gallon treatment.

So it looks pretty cheap to run in the fuel. I will be trying to run it and to see how it goes. Taurus Vulcan engine seems to be a carbon Monster.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Good info guys.

I pay about #3.94 qt for MMO at Wallyworld. So it would be about $.75 per 16 gallon treatment.

So it looks pretty cheap to run in the fuel. I will be trying to run it and to see how it goes. Taurus Vulcan engine seems to be a carbon Monster.

I would run a good fuel system cleaner like Amsoil PI or Redline Fuel System Cleaner 1st, and then on the next tank you can start the maintenance dose of MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back