C3PO Needs Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad has a 1979 Pontiac Bonneville with 200,000 miles on it, the car just starts up and goes down the road fine.

I went to change his oil, it holds 5 quarts, and only 2 quarts of oil came out. The oil was very dark for oil that only had been in there for 3000 miles. I may need to change his thermostat since I think it may be stuck open.

Obviously this engine is leaking oil everywhere, but not that bad, he is not burning any oil, and I changed his PCV Valve last year.

The engine is a 301 V-8 with a 2 barrel carburetor, does anyone have any experience with these engines.

He does not want to do auto-rx, but I may stick a bottle in there.

I have a bottle of Amsoil Engine Flush, I was thinking that the next time I change his oil I would put the can in and run it for 20 minutes. This engine is loaded up with something inside. My Dad is the type of guy who just gasses up the car and drives down the road.

I just have a feeling that a new thermostat would make things better.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What gives you the idea the T stat is bad? Amsoil flush isn't what is needed . Just pour the A R/X in at the oil change. How is the car driven? Dad is smart He got his $$$ worth out of the car.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What gives you the idea the T stat is bad? Amsoil flush isn't what is needed . Just pour the A R/X in at the oil change. How is the car driven? Dad is smart He got his $$$ worth out of the car.

It takes a long time for the heater too make any heat, maybe the heater core is plugged up.

He drives this thing very very conservatively.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ] maybe try parking it on some cardboard and look for the drips?

I have drip trays underneath, the next time he goes away for a weekend with my Mom, I am going too take the car outside and power wash his engine, since there is oil all over it.

Then I will see where the oil is leaking from.

5 qt. sump and could only drain 2? how much was on the dipstick? was it low to start? if not you could have the other 3 qts. in a sludge like form allover but hopefully/mostly in the pan. if you can get a flush agent into the pan and not thru the rest of engine, maybe via dipstick tube, you could pour in a known amount let it work and see how much comes out.remember almost anything you do is risky on a neglected engine, so beware blame game. if this is not a problem it can take a while to clean it out.

Originally Posted By: jldcol
5 qt. sump and could only drain 2? how much was on the dipstick? was it low to start? if not you could have the other 3 qts. in a sludge like form allover but hopefully/mostly in the pan. if you can get a flush agent into the pan and not thru the rest of engine, maybe via dipstick tube, you could pour in a known amount let it work and see how much comes out.remember almost anything you do is risky on a neglected engine, so beware blame game. if this is not a problem it can take a while to clean it out.

My mistake was that I did not check the dipstick tube before I drained the oil, my Dad then added 5 quarts and did not get a reading until the car warmed up, meaning he had to start the car up and run it a while.

I really doubt he was running around on 2 quarts of oil, wouldn't the engine be making a horrible noise.

His thought is the car is leaking oil while he is driving, there is some oil on the drip tray, it looks like someone poured about 6 ounces of oil, but that is over a long period of time.

I check my oil level off and with engine running, there is a difference of 1/2 to 3/4 of a qt. This must be the amount circulated~1qt. or less. If there is at least a qt. in there engine can still function for a while, but obvious issues with this. If adding 5 qts. gets a normal dipstick read, not to much in the pan deposite wise. Take a new filter and soak it in oil, as much as can hold and weigh it, use this as a standard. Use several of the same filters for oil changes, and weigh old ones, notice if they are getting lighter as used for same miles, indication of stuff being removed. A bit of bother to do, but some like me would not mind it, funnish actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back