Frightening UOA on my D-max: Critical Copper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
First what is made of or with copper? where is the si from ? seems all the other numbers are ok?
I was thinking

Pulled the OilGuard today, and dropped the old oil and filter. Went with Delvac again, ESP this time, and an Amsoil full-flow.

Will check again in 2500 miles, and I sure hope copper is close to normal again.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Steve,

Been chasing the copper monster for almost 2 years on the DMax that was linked in this thread. It's still coming down, lab suspects copper core leaching from the oil cooler since there are no other wear metal increases.

Silicon is a measure of dirt/dust getting past the air intake system. 20 ppm is considered normal. Air intake systems that can keep it below 10 ppm at 5,000 miles are considered doing an excellent job in a turbo diesel.

Here's is the back side of a Schaeffer's report explaining the levels found on a UOA report.

Hope this info helps, I bet your truck is fine.

oilanalysis2.jpg

Just got another UOA on the customer's DMAX I referenced above. Still chasing the copper monster here as well. Been fine pulling his 31' 5th wheel the past 2 years - seems to be copper core leaching.

DMAX_high_copper.jpg

Last edited:
[wavy lines]
[back at the engine assembly plant]
Hey Vern!? You see my arthritis bracelet anywhere? Thats two I've lost now! !$#&!
[wavy lines]

Alex.
(copper being the material used for arthritis bracelets).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back