Opinions on the new Mobil-1 'racing' oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Racing_Oils.aspx

It seems these are "fully-additived" like a street oil
but with as much ZDDP as would benefit the motor, not
considering the cats or such. If the offered viscosities
(and price!) seem right for you, this might be a good new
option.

"You say the new Mobil 1 Racing oils are not for street use. Why is that? Does that mean I can't use these oils if my race car is also my daily driver?"

Automotive street use oils that meet the latest industry standards are required to have a lower level of Zinc and Phosphorus anti-wear chemistries than oils formulated years ago. The latest automotive street use engine oils are designed to be compatible with emission control equipment. Mobil 1 Racing oils are formulated with anti-wear (Zinc/Phosphorus) chemistries at twice the level of automotive street oils to provide enhanced protection of highly loaded valve train systems found in some race engines. Based on the high level of anti-wear chemistries, Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for street use.

In other words, the government wants engines to wear out so you have to buy a new car so you can keep the economy moving. And as GDP continues to grow, your congressman can brag about the jobs he's created and get reelected.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
In other words, the government wants engines to wear out so you have to buy a new car so you can keep the economy moving. And as GDP continues to grow, your congressman can brag about the jobs he's created and get reelected.

Well, it's less bad than that. The government has a new
concern with pollution and the environment, so it wants
to lessen the amount of ZDDP in the oil as it damages the
catalytic converter, I believe. They believe there is
a fair tradeoff in the slight possibility of increased
motor wear in the vast majority of the unstressed motors
in the U.S. We who alternately baby and push our motors
to the limits are a fringe concern, so we must fend for
ourselves a little.

I see that the Mobil website recommends the use of their 0W40 and their 15W50 in street cars that are also used for racing. A further look at the M1 Racing Oil site leads me to believe that these oils would be ideal for lawn mowers and other OPE. Does anyone know what the price of these "Racing" M1's is? They come in 0W20 and 0W30 weights.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
I see that the Mobil website recommends the use of their 0W40 and their 15W50 in street cars that are also used for racing. A further look at the M1 Racing Oil site leads me to believe that these oils would be ideal for lawn mowers and other OPE. Does anyone know what the price of these "Racing" M1's is? They come in 0W20 and 0W30 weights.

The website says it will have a special online store opening in April so hopefully prices will be available soon.

Why is a thread about racing oil in the Diesel Cars/Vans/SUV section?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Why is a thread about racing oil in the Diesel Cars/Vans/SUV section?
54.gif

I didn't start this thread, but I would say that it is in this section because it looks to be a perfect heavy duty oil for any flat tappet engine. It is presently only made in 0W20 and 0W30 weights; somewhat strange weights for racing applications (why would they need a 0W rating?) but perfect for any flat tappet engine including, like I mentioned above, lawnmowers and other small OPE.

The Mobil Oil site does not presently have any of the specifications on this oil, with the exception of the zddp? level. No rating such as SJ, SH, or anything like that.

I do agree that this oil probably should be in the regular oil section rather than the Diesel section.

Originally Posted By: JoeWeinstein
Well, it's less bad than that. The government has a new concern with pollution and the environment, so it wants to lessen the amount of ZDDP in the oil as it damages the catalytic converter, I believe. They believe there is
a fair tradeoff in the slight possibility of increased motor wear in the vast majority of the unstressed motors in the U.S. We who alternately baby and push our motors to the limits are a fringe concern, so we must fend for ourselves a little.

The additives in racing oil will damage your emissions systems. It might even be serious enough that your vehicle will not pass an emissions inspection (if you live in an area where they are required), in which case you could be out some big very bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back