What Oil Can I Use In My Air Compressor??!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual states that I need SAE 10W 30 non-detergent compressor oil.

My question is....what the [censored] does compressor oil mean? I already have some SAE 10w 30 non-synthetic oil, but I don't know what the difference is between this automotive oil and the compressors recommendations. I went to Sears and picked up standard Compressor Oil, but it turns out to be SAE 20.

What should I use? If i need to actually find the oil which the manual suggests, where can i find this stuff?

I am really lost!!! please help!!

Last edited:
You should find the proper oil in just about any hardware store. A good synthetic compressor oil will have essentially no additives or sulphur that would produce a build-up on the valve backs and faces. The SAE 20 oil you have should be fine.

Right or wrong, I've alwayed used whatever 5W or 10W-30 that happens to be opened. Compressor has worked fine for years....

Automotive oils contain detergents and dispersants to deal with blow-by, as well as EP additives. These are ash containing and contribute to valve deposits in recip air compressors. In screw compressors these additive cause emulsification with water.

Recip compressors really benefit from the clean operation of diester compressor oils. Screw oils can use any good quality base oil, but PAOs/diesters will offer greatly extended drain intervals, reduced maintenance, and energy efficiency. Additives are usually robust anti-oxidants, anti-rust & corrosion, some anti-wear, and anti-foam.

If you are just running a small recip, the Sears oil should be fine. If you have warranty concerns, seek out a 30 weight compressor oil or a non-detergent SAE 30 motor oil (available in most large auto stores).

Tom NJ

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dluter004
The manual states that I need SAE 10W 30 non-detergent compressor oil.

My question is....what the [censored] does compressor oil mean? I already have some SAE 10w 30 non-synthetic oil, but I don't know what the difference is between this automotive oil and the compressors recommendations. I went to Sears and picked up standard Compressor Oil, but it turns out to be SAE 20.

What should I use? If i need to actually find the oil which the manual suggests, where can i find this stuff?

I am really lost!!! please help!!

First off,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

What kind of air compressor do you have?

I purchased a air compressor new from Sears took it home and installed Amsoil Compressor oil. works just like any compressor would, I used the Amsoil because I know the initial fill will last longer than the rest of the compressor.
Quote:
AMSOIL Synthetic PC Series Compressor Oil
(ISO 46, SAE 20)
The correct manufacturer-recommended viscosity grade of AMSOIL PC Series compressor oil is recommended for use in rotary screw, rotary vane, reciprocating and other compressor applications. Compatible with PAO-, ester- and petroleum-based compressor oils. They are not compatible with glycol- or silicone-based compressor oils. Consult AMSOIL for further information.

Package sizes include:

1-Quart Bottle
1-Quart Bottles (case of 12)
5-Gallon Pail
30-Gallon Drum
55-Gallon Drum

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL PC Series Synthetic Compressor Oils are long-life, premium compressor lubricants based on novel, proprietary technology. They incorporate the highest quality, thermally-stable PAO synthetics fortified with premium non-detergent, ashless additives for maximum protection at high temperatures and pressures. They last up to eight times longer than petroleum oils, effectively reducing maintenance and waste oil disposal costs.

Improves Compressor Efficiency
AMSOIL PC Synthetic Compressor Oils have low friction properties and they resist viscosity increase from oxidation. They help improve operating efficiency and save money on electrical energy consumption.

Controls Foam and Reduces Wear
AMSOIL PC Compressor Oils contain anti-foam additives and, unlike other compressor oils, they are anti-wear fortified. Good foam control reduces heat, oxidation and wear. High contact regions are protected against wear for increased compressor life and efficiency.

Resists Water Contamination
Water from condensation builds up in compressors that can cause unwanted oil/water emulsions, environmental discharge hazards and rust. AMSOIL PC Synthetic Compressor Oils are hydrolytically stable. They resist acid formation, readily separate from water and are anti-rust fortified. Water can be easily drained off for simplified environmental discharge and increased oil life.

Resists Heat and Oxidation
AMSOIL PC Series Compressor Oils combine the inherent stability of premium synthetic base oils with specialized anti-oxidant additives to resist varnish, carbon and acid formation. They protect compressors better and last longer in service than petroleum oils, especially during hot operating conditions.

Safety Advantage
AMSOIL PC Series Synthetic Compressor Oils are ashless, high flash point formulations with very low carbonforming tendencies that minimize the incidence of ignition-promoting “hot spots.” While PC Synthetic Compressor Oils can provide improved fire safety, they cannot be considered non-flammable.

APPLICATION RECOMMENDATION
The appropriate viscosity of AMSOIL PC Series Synthetic Compressor Oil is recommended for use in single and multistage rotary screw, vane, centrifugal and reciprocating compressor crankcase and cylinders, vacuum pumps and other applications such as gears, bearings, blowers, pumps and handheld pneumatic tools. In compressor applications, drain intervals of 8,000 hours or more can be expected under normal operation. Drain intervals are subject to operating conditions and maintenance practices. Monitoring by oil analysis is recommended. For best performance, AMSOIL recommends the compressor be drained prior to the installation of PC Synthetic Compressor Oil. If carbon deposits are present on the internal components, it is recommended they be removed following the compressor manufacturer recommendations

What does the manual say about oil choice and inital run it? This is one of the applications that I would say use a syn oil. That being said I worked for a company that had service vans with 10 or 12 HP Gasoline powered compressors in the vans and they used Delo 400 30 wt oil in both the gas engine and the compressor . The compressors were taken out of the retired vans and put into new vans .The compressors were run a couple hours a day.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
lazaro, we need some pictures of the 69 Ranchero, 67 Fairlane, and 67 Mustang. All nice vehicles.

Sorry to take this off topic.

OK Ill post them up for ya soon, you want one of me by all them cars too?

I have a little Sears compressor that uses 20w oil. I put M1 ATF and it seems to run fine, Is ATF ok for small compressors? Also my compressor is in a unheated garage, so it's ice-cold whan I use it.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I have a little Sears compressor that uses 20w oil. I put M1 ATF and it seems to run fine, Is ATF ok for small compressors? Also my compressor is in a unheated garage, so it's ice-cold whan I use it.
well if it works ok for ya and the oil stays clean after time then maybe it is ok to use. I looked on the sears website and I dont see the model I have that I bought 2 years ago, old style electric motor spinning a twin piston pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back