why does my toyota truck start overflowing water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
86 toyota 22r. after a few minutes,it starts to overflow a little to the overflow tank.This happens every time.I've even put a new rad. cap and it does the same.Should i drill a few holes in the thermostat or is there a chance that the thermostat is installed backwards?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Coolant goes into the overflow reservoir when the truck heats up, flows back to the radiator when it cools down.
after a day or 2, i have to add almost half a gallon into the radiator.

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
Check for a blown head gasket or cracked head.
oil looks good,runs great,checked gasket with comp. test,good.

drive the car on the highway for 10-15 minutes or until it starts to overflow and get hot if the thermostat is good and you can tell by putting on the heater if you get constant good heat chances are its the head gasket.. If you replace the headgasket have the head "milled" at a machine shop it won't cost much and they can do it while you wait, pretty easy job.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: hate2work

Coolant goes into the overflow reservoir when the truck heats up, flows back to the radiator when it cools down.
after a day or 2, i have to add almost half a gallon into the radiator.

I didn't see where you had posted that detail. I suspect you have a bad head gasket.

it doesn't do this after the engine is fully warmed up and i think when after the thermostat opens.I've never had it overheat at all.

Dave do all the simple checks mentioned . Again does the engine over heat or run hot? Have you changed the T stat? [in reguards to being installed backwards/running hot] you could pull the T stat to check it. Could be a blown headgasket ar a cracked head which will not show coolant in oil then a headgasket may not always show coolant in oil. If after all the checks and have tp pull the head send the head to a machine shop to check for warping and cracks.

Dave do all the simple checks mentioned . Again does the engine over heat or run hot? Have you changed the T stat? [in reguards to being installed backwards/running hot] you could pull the T stat to check it. Could be a blown headgasket ar a cracked head which will not show coolant in oil then a headgasket may not always show coolant in oil. If after all the checks and have tp pull the head send the head to a machine shop to check for warping and cracks.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
new cap,see first post.

The customer is the final (and sometimes only) quality inspector. So new does not equal good.

Also there are different applications for radiator caps with regard to whether it has a drop center or not. I don't like the caps that have the drop center, I want the spring-loaded center. My Mustang wouldn't pressurize the cooling system sometimes when I had a drop-center cap on it.

brianl703 whether it has a drop center or not.[/quote said:
I'm using the kind that you twist on,it does'nt have the lever. The truck never overheats,and i can see when the thermostat opens by the slow increase and then drop in the temp gauge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back