New Shell Gas Formula - Enriched with Nitrogen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the only thing it would do is increase NOx emissions.

I dunno. Maybe it has a higher heat of combustion, but I kinda doubt it.

They are probably adding amines. Amines are (one of several types of) organic compounds with nitrogen in them. Things like Techron are polyether amines. So I imagine it will do some cleaning, depending how much is in there.

Hmmm...my car needs to be filled up and I like V-Power so maybe I'll go by the Shell station tomorrow. Wonder if the nitrogen stuff will help boost gas mileage.

As I was filling up at the Shell station on the corner and reading the sign about this, I also noticed a new sticker on the pump saying the gas contained 10% ethanol, which means it will be the last time I buy gas from there.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
As I was filling up at the Shell station on the corner and reading the sign about this, I also noticed a new sticker on the pump saying the gas contained 10% ethanol, which means it will be the last time I buy gas from there.

It always contained Ethanol...unless some stations dont have it. Consider yourself lucky.

I noticed it yesterday when getting gas plus I got an email as well. Sounds like mostly marketing. It was and probably still is good gas. I buy mostly Shell.

In MI stations aren't required to say whether they have 10% ethanol or not so there is no way to know. I assume most stations sell gas with ethanol.

Right now, ethanol may be more expensive than gasoline so it may be a time when less is being blended in. It is a compromise between oxygenate content required by law and overall cost.

Here in Cleveland I *think* I can still get gas without ethanol. I actually only know of one station that has it (Or at least, labels it). I don't know if Ohio require stations to say if they use 10% or not, but I have only seen that sticker here and there. So does anybody know if Ohio require to tell you if they use it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: MarkC

It always contained Ethanol...unless some stations dont have it. Consider yourself lucky.

If it did, there was no notice that it did, until just now. I never saw any signs or stickers like I've seen ARCO and 76 stations.

Originally Posted By: xBa380
Here in Cleveland I *think* I can still get gas without ethanol. I actually only know of one station that has it (Or at least, labels it). I don't know if Ohio require stations to say if they use 10% or not, but I have only seen that sticker here and there. So does anybody know if Ohio require to tell you if they use it?

i was under the impression that the whole state had 10% ethanol.

i would think especially greater cleveland since its the only area in the state that still e-checks.

Originally Posted By: MinivanMauler
Seems like the only thing it would do is increase NOx emissions.

I dunno. Maybe it has a higher heat of combustion, but I kinda doubt it.

Nitrogen is inert gas! 78% of the earth's atmosphere, as in what we breath, is Nitrogen. How can an inert gas clean an engine, create heat or improve fuel efficiency? I don't understand why Shell would make such a ridiculous claim.

So I have a comment and a question. comment: I have tried several times, and always get about 5-8% better gas mileage with V-power in my 2008 MDX. Don't know why, but it is repeatable and consistent.

Question: Will using V-power in an RX-8 make any difference in terms of cleaning properties? The rotary runs in a different way than piston engines, and I don't know if the same cleaning effects would occur. Any knowledge on this?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: DAC17
So I have a comment and a question. comment: I have tried several times, and always get about 5-8% better gas mileage with V-power in my 2008 MDX. Don't know why, but it is repeatable and consistent.

Question: Will using V-power in an RX-8 make any difference in terms of cleaning properties? The rotary runs in a different way than piston engines, and I don't know if the same cleaning effects would occur. Any knowledge on this?

Thanks.

I must agree, I have been consistently getting more MPG with V-power than any other brand.

I have heard and read that V-Power contains a UCL, which may explain why some folks are seeing increased fuel efficiency.

As for fuel being enriched with Nitrogen, that just doesn't make any sense to me. Nitrogen is an inert gas and has zero BTU value. Nitrogen can be compressed because it is a gas, but it is not combustible. We use Nitrogen (N2) to drive control valves, to supplement our plant air system during periods of low pressure, to purge amine contactor towers, and to air-free process equipment at the refinery where I work. Shell's claim is bizarre to say the least, unless they have figured out a way to use N2 to create some kind of reaction.

The quote below was copied directly from Shell's web site. As far as I know, the only way that Nitrogen can have an impact on thermal stability is to reduce the amount of available oxygen in the combustion chamber. Since Nitrogen is inert, it will not light off and perhaps this leads to lower operating temperatures.

This raises a few interesting questions:

1) How does Nitrogen remain entrained in Shell's gasoline?

2) What is the impact on horsepower?

3) Does less available oxygen for combustion result in a loss of horsepower

"Shell Nitrogren Enriched Gasolines are designed to maintain thermal stability under extremely hot engine temperatures."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back