2 cycle oil , in my gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
i had some some 2cycle oil lying around, and i had no need for it ,
so i put in 3 ounces in my gas tank, .......
i have noticed that my car < 00 civic >, starts right away with the 2cycle oil in the tank ?

with out the oil, it cranks for 2-3 seconds before it fires up ?

will this damage my emmission system, if i keep doing it ?

thanks.
nik

I have noticed this as well - I doubt you'll hurt anything.

Here's my theory. New gasoline seems more and more lacking in "lubricity", this is noticeable in mechanical fuel injecion parts, fuel pumps, etc AND in piston ring sealing.

Sweet!!! I've always suspected, but was too afraid to try it out! i'm gonna do it... with one of those "smokeless, fume-free" 2-cycle oils!

2 cycle mix is typically a heavy, heat resistant base oil blended with a distillate such as stoddard solvent(similar to kerosene).

Pablo's point about ring seal is probably the greatest effect along with some injector cleaning from the stoddard solvent.

If it's a low ash 2 cycle mix designed for air cooled engines, continued use in your car engine may result in some plug fouling, as the metallic AW & detergent adds are formulated for the higher cylinder temps & rpm's of an air cooled engine.

Why not just use Schaeffer's Neutra 131 fuel stabilizer, which has a whole list of attributes, including lubrication?

Red Line SI-1. Doesn't look like most other injector/valve detergents. The base is primarily some sort of lubricating oil while others are typically in a light solvent.

I use 2 stroke oil in my 4 stroke lawnmowers. That way my wife, or my son, can't accidentally put straight gas in my chainsaw or weedeaters. Besides, lubricating the intake valve and upper cylinder of a 4 stroke engine never hurt anything.
burnout.gif

I always put the remainder of the mixed 2 stroke snowblower fuel in the cars, to use it up after the season is over.
Butt dyno always likes the results. Smooth and peppy.

Blue99 - another reason to go very light. I would rather folks calculate up at 100 or 200:1, than just "dump some in 'da tank".

I have never actually dump it in straight - it's usually a premix or mixed with xylene and IPA
gr_eek2.gif
freak2.gif

that sounds really cool though, anything to help with upper ring lube and cleaning! The oil control and lower rings always get to have all the low-friction fun, just imagine how much your upper rings are pouting!

I always dump my old chain saw fuel into my truck's gas tank at the end of the season.

(It's usually about 1/2 gallon mixed 32:1 with mobil MX2T).

Some claim it's bad practice but we're talking about 2 oz of actual oil mixed in a 35 gallon truck tank. That becomes a ratio of 1 part oil with about 2000 parts gasoline. I honestly don't think it's going to foul a plug, or clog a cat or injector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back