Porsche 924 Turbo - oil choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINALLY took delivery of the '82 924 Turbo (931) that I had been trying to acquire for 6 months, have no idea what oil was in it, but it had an "original" Mahle filter (good sign). Had some trouble getting it started, lot of cranking and rough running initially while the electrical gremlins were sorted out, but fresh oil while operating under its own power :)

60K miles on engine, ZERO varnish or sludge up top, rebuilt K28 turbo, 951 oil cooler with Canton sandwich and big -12 stainless steel lines.

I put in 6 quarts of Royal Purple 15w-40 (forgot to take oil sample of what was in there). I will run it for only 3K miles and then have it tested.

So the question remains-- what NEXT? I would like to try the following oils, in no particular order, and compare UOA and fuel mileage, as my life is rather predictable :p

1) M1 EP 15w-50
2) RedLine 15w-40
3) LubroMoly Voll-Synthese or MoS2 5w-40 (eewww, but want comparison...no snickering!)
4) Mobil Delvac 1/T&S 5w-40

I am already using the K&N Gold filter, I probably should have used the cheaper Mahle filter (OEM) by comparison, but oh well.

Thoughts? This car will be daily driven in a variety of 50-90 degree situations (freeway/city/traffic) as well as autocrossed with SCCA and PCA, and maybe try to do one HPDE/trackday with each OCI to see how each oil holds up. All other filters/plugs are factory Porsche products, and I will try to use the same gas station as well to limit too many variables.

Thoughts?

-James Wilson
www.DaveTurnerMotorsport.com

quote:

I'd start with the Redline

pscholte, Redline?
gr_eek2.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

I'd start with the Redline

pscholte, Redline?
gr_eek2.gif
grin.gif

Yes Buster, Redline; I would recommend a nice Elf oil, not as in The Green, but as in Elf, but I don't want to make his life difficult. I don't recommend the Elixer because I think that car needs at least a 10W-40 if not a 15W-40. I'm just full of surprises!
wink.gif

I never thought their would be the day where you recommend Redline.
smile.gif
I guess your not a fan of Iron 1 15w-50? LOL

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I never thought their would be the day where you recommend Redline.
smile.gif
I guess your not a fan of Iron 1 15w-50? LOL

You are a riot!
lol.gif
You think Mobil should call it M1 FE instead of EP?
grin.gif

"You think Mobil should call it M1 FE instead of EP"

Even better. Good one! LOL.

Congrats on the purchase. I would go with Mobil as far as an oil goes. The filter I was going to suggest was K&N but, you already beat me to it. I have seen the TBN dip sharply with Redline with friends that use it in their cars - racing on the weekends.

Hi,
Solo2driver - the 924 Turbo does require some extra care and attention and I am sure that you will enjoy the car

Any Porsche officially Approved oil is a good start and this will be endorsed on the oil's container. This ensures that the oil passes the essential HTHS, viscosity, foaming and volatility protocols they have set. Porsche engines do have special lubricant needs and a significant number of engines have failed over the years through using inferior engine lubricants

Porsche recommend rectoactively (back to MY1973 - after 8/72)a MINIMUM of a Group 3 ACEA A3/B3 synthetic of 5w-40 visosity and 0w-40 for temperatures below -25C, the top end SAE40 viscosity covers all ambient temps to well above 110F+. This minimum is their baseline for Approval to be initiated

The most popular oil used in Porsche cars worldwide is M1 15w-50 (this is the only ?w-50 oil Approved) in older engine families and 0w-40 or 5w-40 in late engines. The heavier oil in these engines is NOT needed and owners changing from a 15w-50 to a 5w-40 can usually feel the difference very quickly. Oil pressure at idle should be around 1.5bar+ and the critical measurement is to have around 4bar+ at 5k rpm

A Mahle, Knect, Mann filter is best but M1 filters work well too - I prefer MANN. The choice of filter is important due to the inherent high bypass OP involved with Porsche engines

Many Porsche owners here in OZ, Scandinavia, NZ, the UK and NA have found Delvac 1 5w-40 (or M1 T&SUV 5w-40) to be a great choice. They exceed Porsche's test protocols and warranty is not an issue for you. I would use this oil exclusively in your car if it was mine as the 924 Turbo is noted for high piston/ring/oil temperatures

Check in the UOA section for details of both a 15w-50 and 5w-40 premium synthetic's performance in my 928 S4

Contact me privately and I can e-mail a copy of the Porsche Approved Oils List as at March 2005

This now outdated link may help you too;

http://www.landsharkoz.com/tt/ttlubricant.htm

Regards
Doug

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
Solo2driver - the 924 Turbo does require some extra care and attention and I am sure that you will enjoy the car

Any Porsche officially Approved oil is a good start and this will be endorsed on the oil's container. This ensures that the oil passes the essential HTHS, viscosity, foaming and volatility protocols they have set. Porsche engines do have special lubricant needs and a significant number of engines have failed over the years through using inferior engine lubricants

Porsche recommend rectoactively (back to MY1973 - after 8/72)a MINIMUM of a Group 3 ACEA A3/B3 synthetic of 5w-40 visosity and 0w-40 for temperatures below -25C, the top end SAE40 viscosity covers all ambient temps to well above 110F+. This minimum is their baseline for Approval to be initiated

The most popular oil used in Porsche cars worldwide is M1 15w-50 (this is the only ?w-50 oil Approved) in older engine families and 0w-40 or 5w-40 in late engines. The heavier oil in these engines is NOT needed and owners changing from a 15w-50 to a 5w-40 can usually feel the difference very quickly. Oil pressure at idle should be around 1.5bar+ and the critical measurement is to have around 4bar+ at 5k rpm

A Mahle, Knect, Mann filter is best but M1 filters work well too - I prefer MANN. The choice of filter is important due to the inherent high bypass OP involved with Porsche engines

Many Porsche owners here in OZ, Scandinavia, NZ, the UK and NA have found Delvac 1 5w-40 (or M1 T&SUV 5w-40) to be a great choice. They exceed Porsche's test protocols and warranty is not an issue for you. I would use this oil exclusively in your car if it was mine as the 924 Turbo is noted for high piston/ring/oil temperatures

Check in the UOA section for details of both a 15w-50 and 5w-40 premium synthetic's performance in my 928 S4

Contact me privately and I can e-mail a copy of the Porsche Approved Oils List as at March 2005

This now outdated link may help you too;

http://www.landsharkoz.com/tt/ttlubricant.htm

Regards
Doug

I can see it now...the Doug Meister will have him in Delvac 1 before the day is done!
wink.gif

pscholte - Please My Master forgive me and let the Elves know I have reposted as follows;

The Castrol oils on the Porsche Approved List are;

Formula RS 0w-40 Power & Protection
TXT Softec 5w-40
GTX 7 Dynatec 5w-40
Performance 5w-40
Syntec 5w-40
Formula RS Road & Track

As a matter of interest, the Castrol RS 5w-40 is available here in OZ at a very good price. It is a great product at about $20 less (5ltr) than M1!

The lighter GC and Syntron Extra are no longer Approved by Porsche or available

Note that the 924 Turbo runs a "hot" turbo and thicker oils than recommended will further exacerbate that issue. That is why I prefer a synthetic 5w-40 HDEO in this application

Regards
Doug (Honorary Elfe)

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:

As a matter of interest, the Castrol RS 5w-40 is available here in OZ at a very good price. It is a great product at about $20 less (5ltr) than M1!

Doug, do you mean the Formula R 0W-40 ? There's no Castrol 5W-40 down here that I know of, apart from Magnatec SP, which is a "workshop oil".

Hi,
yes Losiho I did mean the Formula R 0w-40
Now if only Castrol would stop changing names and models everywhere

I believe this can be translated "Internationally" into the
Formula RS 0w-40 Power & Performance version
and probably into BP Visco 7000 0w-40 and ARAL Supertronic 0w-40 too. But of course I can't confirm the last two!

Regards
Doug

Doug--

It may be the electric VDO oil pressure gauge, but sometimes I see very high pressure both at idle and at ~3K rpm not under boost, like 150psi+ (10 bar). Otherwise its normal. I've been told by other 931 guys to unplug the OP sending unit, if it shows a certain reading, then the sender is bad...if it shows 0 (zero), then the gauge is bad (or maybe the other way around?).

I will look into it. Otherwise, everything else is going great with the car other than odd OP and an annoying cold-start issues.

Thanks for the info

-JamesW

What made you go with the 924 Turbo instead of 944 Turbo? The 944 Turbo(951) has a stronger motor oil cooler (you upgraded to), ceramic coated valves, water cooled turbo and MUCH meaner look. Not to mention ABS and airbags just in case. I had a 1987 944 Turbo and it would chrip the tire in the 2->3 shift and would lay a set of tire marks all through 1st and most of 2nd gear. I loved the power of that car.

I liked the rarity of the 931, and this one has a widebody S2 conversion along with the factory 4 air ports and hood NACA duct, its a stunning combination. Car had very little miles on it, with the upgraded K28 turbo and full autocross suspension, the price was right. Also, the insurance was actually less for the 931 than my old '85 RX-7 GSL-SE.

And I like to be different!

-JamesW

Hi,
kang - the M1 5w-50 is still an Approved oil - it is the only SAE50 on the list

This oil is not available in some countries and Porsche owners seem to use M1 15w-50 in older or tracked cars where it is not available

James - the oil and/or coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges on earlier Porsches are certainly not "clinical" instruments. These "living" gauges are the source of much pondering by owners. Most people today are used to the still or "dead" and sanitised gauges now installed in most vehicles

It is wise to firstly check and clean all the earthing points in the vehicle, the fuse box and then the gauge connections - use a corrosion buster spray!

The only way to accurately check engine temperatures is with a IR reader. Select at least four points - top and bottom hose, thermostat housing and a point about halfway along the head. Monitor these - the typical "core" engine temperature will be in a range of 90-95C

Have the OP checked with a Master guage as whilst it sounds like an electrical problem you may also have a faulty bypass valve. Have the oil cooler thermostat checked too!
As an example the 928's oil cooler thermostat opens at 87C (fully open around 93C)and the oil's temperature is mostly around 90C. The highest I have recorded is 94C on a 43C day. My BMW runs at around 105C and the Benz around 100-110C (on M1 0w-40)

Single electrode Bosch platinum spark plugs (correct, as specified) may help as will a integrity check of your plug leads too

dagmanto - yes the 944 and especially the 944S2 or 968 are great cars too. I nearly purchased a 968 Cab some years ago but the scuttle shake put me off so I bought a Z3 2.8 instead

I hope this helps!
wink.gif

Regards
Doug

[ June 14, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back