Thoughts on Regular Purolator Air Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be limited talk about the regular Purolator air filter on here. I hear about the PureOne filters, but not the regular ones. However, I did read some users experiencing a drop in fuel economy. Can anyone comment on this or anything about the regular Purolator air filters?

The air box on my Bronco has an ignorant design where the top half slides across the face of the filter before it can be clipped to the bottom. The purolator air filter's gasket was so thick that I couldn't get it back together without the gasket getting shoved aside. I had to go back to the radioactive orange to get a correct fit.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
There seems to be limited talk about the regular Purolator air filter on here. I hear about the PureOne filters, but not the regular ones. However, I did read some users experiencing a drop in fuel economy. Can anyone comment on this or anything about the regular Purolator air filters?

I may have been involved in the "users experiencing a drop in frul economy" that you mentioned above about the regular Purolator Air Filter.

This has never happened to me in the past when using PuroAirFilts. Although, on my 04 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, I purchanced a regular P.A.F and noticed an instant drop in MPG and, it was summer time when I get the best MPG with any vehicle! I kept the stock Nissan air filter because it wasn't really too bad to begin with. I swapped out the Puro and put back in the factory Nissan air filter and the MPG came back up. The MPG drop was about 2 MPG. I can't explain this with the exception that the Puro has less pleats and it's I.D. is more closed in(more framming aroung the media).

I still have both air filters along with a FRAM AIR HOG that I bought for $7.00 on close out at PB's (only 1 remaining) and I wasn't looking for an air filter.

I tried switching both the regular Puro and the factory Nissan from time to time and I consistantly loose about 2 MPG with the Puro. I do the switching in the summer time when I can get some real MPG figures.

I've used Puro air filters in many vehicles over the years and have never noticed the drop in MPG. I really don't notice the drop in MPG with any air filter for that matter. No gain either! I also check my MPG on a regular basis and have for many years.

Maybe I just cought a bad Puro or a not an ideal filter for my application.

I went away from Puro air filters because of fit. Seemed their filtration was good, but I couldn't keep the silicon down and get that locktight seal of the airbox as with Wix or Fram.

Last edited:
I notice the Purolator air filters for our Hondas are very 'linty'

If you take a close look it almost looks like cotton ball/Q-tip fuzz.

Yeah, the Purolator A25653 for my Civic looks like an ironed and pleated sheep. It kept the downwind portion of my intake completely free of dust, so I think it did a decent job.

My only criticism is that it didn't sit flat when I took it out of the packaging--the plastic had warped considerably during shipping and/or storage. I put it in the air box overnight, and by morning it had been bent back to true and made a nice seal.

My MPG actually improved slightly during the Purolator run. Dunno if it was the filter--my engine was (is) still wearing in, and I also dumped the factory fill for 0w-20 around the same time.

@ ChiTDI: x 2. I eventually replaced the Purolator with an even cheaper Fram that fit snugly from the beginning.

I looked at one at AZ and concluded it was not as well built as the OEM Honda AF.

The Purolator air filters for my application are awful. The gaskets are way too thin.

I first bought a Purolator air filter in 2005 for my old Ranger. I didn't look at the filter until after I bought it. When I took it out of the box, I noticed right away that the gasket looked thin. I installed the filter just to check, and sure enough, the two halves of the filter housing were not even close to snug. The top half moved all over. I replaced it with an STP filter with a much thicker gasket.

When they came out with the PureONE oiled filter, I decided to give it a look...this time before paying. Sure enough, the gasket was still way too thin to seal properly.

I'm really disappointed with Purolator's air filters. It seems like a respected brand on BITOG, but even Fram got my truck's air filter right. It shouldn't be that hard for such a large filter company.

I can only make the comparison that the Purolator filters I replaced with Wix's had fewer pleats and just felt like there was less filter there. The Wix definaly had more media. But that doesn't always make it a better filter as we all know....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back