Amsoil ATF vs Toyota WS ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got around to changing the ATF fluid in my daughter's '07 RAV4. It has a wonderful drain plug (and dipstick), once you get the plastic bottom cover off. Got the Toyota WS ATF at the Stealership. Only $3.48 a quart - a real bargain for these guys. Doing the unscientific 'how fast does it pour test,' my favorite Amsoil ATF pours alot faster that the WS fluid (eg the WS fluid seems thicker). The Amsoil pours like 'water' while the WS fluid pours more like motor oil. I thought it would be thinner as Amsoil says their ATF is too thick. The WS fluid is also a darker red than the Amsoil. Anyways, at 30K the fluid drained from the RAV's tranny was real dark - looked like motor oil more than ATF. I seriously doubt this fluid will last 100K. Looks like I'll drain/fill every 5K when I change the engine oil for several cycles to see if I can get it 'cherry red' like new. Wish Amsoil would just recommend their Unversal ATF for WS service. Probably would work just fine and is probably a better fluid.

caught that in time
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stooge
my favorite Amsoil ATF pours alot faster that the WS fluid (eg the WS fluid seems thicker). The Amsoil pours like 'water' while the WS fluid pours more like motor oil. I thought it would be thinner as Amsoil says their ATF is too thick. The WS fluid is also a darker red than the Amsoil.

Right, I'm not going to give an opinion this time, just numbers.

According to the Amsoil data sheet that I just downloaded the KV 100C is 6.8 cSt and the BV @-40C is 9087 cP.
It just so happens that I have MEASURED values for the Toyota WS.
They are: KV 100C 5.6 cSt and BV @ -40C 8340 cP.

As for colour, who cares, it's just a dye, it doesn't do anything else apart from colouring the fluid!

A) There is more to ATF than viscosity.
B) Pouring/apparent viscosity can be misleading.

When did Amsoil say their ATF is "too thick" for WS applications? AFAIK Amsoil just says it's not approved and they have not tested it.

Amsoil never approved for any ATF spec. just recommended.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
A) There is more to ATF than viscosity.
B) Pouring/apparent viscosity can be misleading.

Pablo,
We are in danger of agreeing again!

Toyota WS is among the thinnest fluid out there and is a full synthetic. Suppose to be a life time fill.

I don't see how Amsoil will be significantly better than WS if they are both synthetic and of high quality.

At only $3.48 a quart from the dealer? a full synthetic? Those gallon imports tins of WS sold for $40. Now the locally sourced WS quarts are ~$4. Makes you wonder!

Amsoil will one day release their thin ATF. Over the past couple years, with the releases of 110wt, MTF, MTG, PSF, 0w20.... one can only wonder what they'll whip up to compete with Redline D6. Remember to harass your favorite boutique company for fluids compatible with whatever spec you need. Its the only way they'll consider making that fluid. Still waiting for 75w85 that I don't have to blend myself. RL, RP, Ams... listening?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Amsoil will one day release their thin ATF.

I believe it's coming out later this month.

At only $3.48 a quart from the dealer? a full synthetic? Those gallon imports tins of WS sold for $40. Now the locally sourced WS quarts are ~$4. Makes you wonder!

Amsoil will one day release their thin ATF. Over the past couple years, with the releases of 110wt, MTF, MTG, PSF, 0w20.... one can only wonder what they'll whip up to compete with Redline D6. Remember to harass your favorite boutique company for fluids compatible with whatever spec you need. Its the only way they'll consider making that fluid. Still waiting for 75w85 that I don't have to blend myself. RL, RP, Ams... listening?

If you are talking about MTF, I believe AMS MTF is 75W-85. I also think the new Honda MTF is the same, or maybe thinner. It leaked like a sieve through my hand pump last time. No other gear oil I've tried has done this.

I don't think WS is only 3.48 a quart, more like $10 as you mentioned, but I think Amsoil is also around $10.

Both synthetic and assumed to be high quality
Both are about the same price (within noise variation)
One came from the OEM and the other is a "universal" that does not even have manufacturing recommendation (Amsoil recommend its ATF to be used for Type IV, not WS) listed on the website.

Which one to use? that's obvious.

2 weeks ago, I bought 4 quarts of WS at Toyota of Greensburg, PA.

List = $10.42/qt and they sold it to me for $7.78/qt.

I have no problem going with an Amsoil recommended fluid for a given vehicle or spec. I do not need it to be certified by the Pope. However if Amsoil does not list it as recommended then I would look at M1 or the OEM. Surely Amsoil will come out with ATF that is recommended at some point, patience.

$3.48/qt for WS??!! Buy all you can get your hands on and sell me 2 cases.

My local 'yota dealer quoted me over $7 (I forget the exact figure) and they're normally pretty decent on prices.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have no problem going with an Amsoil recommended fluid for a given vehicle or spec. I do not need it to be certified by the Pope. However if Amsoil does not list it as recommended then I would look at M1 or the OEM. Surely Amsoil will come out with ATF that is recommended at some point, patience.

The Pope is certifying oil now?
banana2.gif

I must have missed something.
12.gif

I agree though... if Amsoil doesn't recommend a product for a specific application, then don't assume to know better.

Got a full case this morning. List $4.19 per quart. Net $3.09, since I bought a case. Genuine Toyota ATF-WS. Looks like my favorite Amsoil ATF, if they ever spec it for WS service, is not even close in cost. I still think it's thicker than the Amsoil Universal ATF. My '07 RAV4 likes the new fluid. The slight bang when you put it in drive during cold conditions seems to be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back