A Better 5 Minute Flush Product

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think the synthetic esters are similar to what the Group V oil manufacturers use, and used here mainly as a carrier for the 2-Butoxyethanol solvent.

From wikipedia:
"2-Butoxyethanol is an organic solvent"
"The main use of 2-butoxyethanol is as a solvent in paints and surface coatings, followed by cleaning products and inks. Other products which contain 2-butoxyethanol include acrylic resin formulations, asphalt release agents, firefighting foam, leather protectors, oil spill dispersants, bowling pin and lane degreaser, and photographic strip solutions. 2-Butoxyethanol is a primary ingredient of various whiteboard cleaners, liquid soaps, cosmetics, dry cleaning solutions, lacquers, varnishes, herbicides, and latex paints. It also seems to be excellent at killing most insects and arachnids."

I would wonder if Amsoil flush is 2-butoxyethanol by its smell and flushes with 2-butoxyethanol are good to use when flushing out a crankcase after a leaky headgasket.

This is one of the main ingredients in the Amsoil engine flush and is excellent to use after repair of coolant ingression into oil system such as after failed head gasket or failed LIM gaskets on GM.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
This is one of the main ingredients in the Amsoil engine flush

the esters????

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
This is one of the main ingredients in the Amsoil engine flush

the esters????

According to the MSDS the Amsoil Engine Flush is:

HYDROTREATED PETROLEUM DISTILLATE, CAS# 64742-54-7, 15-20%
2-BUTOXYETHANOL, GLYCOL ETHER EB, CAS# 111-76-2, 20-25%
ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, CAS# 64742-88-7, appx wt=60-65%

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
A local shop sold me a bottle of Heartland engine flush. I've not tried it out yet. They said it was some really good stuff.

Anyone heard of it?

Heartland Products

Never heard of it, but they are marketing products with PTFE aka Teflon which is not only useless in an engine, it can be harmful. Knowing that, I'd pass on all their products, but that is based on opinion and nothing more. If they got rave reviews for one of their products here on BITOG I would have a look and do some investigating. JMO

A local shop sold me a bottle of Heartland engine flush. I've not tried it out yet. They said it was some really good stuff.

Anyone heard of it?

Heartland Products

be nice to see a MSDS on it,prabaly [censored].

When I worked at a power plant I tried to eliminate a cleaning product that contained 2-Butoxyethanol based on safety concerns. We bought it in 55 gallon drums, and had some contractors get dizzy using it while cleaning shower walls. The people who used it really got upset, they liked it and I was not successful at getting it banned. It is a good solvent and degreaser, but you would not want to inhale the vapor for any period of time. If I had suggested a new product that contained some unknown constituent in it they would have raised a ruckus! Very frustrating!

Last edited:
Wow, it must be a sh*t product (even though no one here has used it, or even heard of it) simply because another product Heartland offers has PTFE in it.

*rubs forehead in frustration and disbelief*

Glycol Ether EB can pass through blood vessel walls. Use of appropriate gloves is recommended. Liver, kidneys, and blood disorders seem to be the biggest threat. I think most household products like window cleaners and fantastic type products have switched over to propylene based glycol ethers.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Glycol Ether EB can pass through blood vessel walls. Use of appropriate gloves is recommended. Liver, kidneys, and blood disorders seem to be the biggest threat. I think most household products like window cleaners and fantastic type products have switched over to propylene based glycol ethers.

I would read this after ordering a new shipment of whiteboard markers and cleaner for my new office....
LOL.gif

This is the stuff that I keep getting confused with the active ingredient in Rislone.

Anyone heard of it?

Heartland Products

The shop I used to work at used Heartland products and never had any sort of problems. But I doubt they're much better or worse than anyone aftermarket product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back