Type of oil in a propane 4 cyl forklift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the consensus on this thread. 15w40 is the easy and obvious answer. That's what every shop I've worked at has ran in their own forklift, and that's what I've always used to service customers' forklifts (worked on them occasionally at a couple of tractor shops).

Same goes for other LP engines in Deere tractors and medium-duty GM trucks. They call for an HDEO, 30w and 15w40, respectively. Personally, I'd just dump 15w40 into either application.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Flathead, giant spark plugs and electronic ignition.
I aint calling no dang CAT dealer!
I dont want to lose my temper talking to a illegal alien
HDEO of your choice.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: lazaro
Flathead, giant spark plugs and electronic ignition.
I aint calling no dang CAT dealer!
I dont want to lose my temper talking to a illegal alien
HDEO of your choice.

my choice was
Quote:
AMSOIL Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil (ANG) was developed to deliver unsurpassed performance in natural gas engines calling for an SAE 40, low-ash (

I had to buy 5 gallons at $150 , you think I'm going to dump it out? LOL for some inferior HDEO?
with a product that has a clear advantage>>>
Quote:
AMSOIL Natural Gas Engine Oil is a true straight-grade SAE 40 oil, offering maximum protection against viscosity loss while minimizing internal oil consumption. Field studies have reported up to a 50 percent reduction in internal oil consumption when compared to competitive oils. Due to its synthetic formulation, AMSOIL Natural Gas Engine Oil does not thicken as readily and qualifies as a multi-grade SAE 20W-40 oil without the disadvantages that come with the use of viscosity improvers. This allows the oil to be used over a broader ambient temperature range and in many cases eliminates the need for a conventional multi-grade product.

does any HDEO you use have this advertisement?
Quote:
Extended Drain Intervals
AMSOIL Natural Gas Engine Oil may be used for extended drain intervals when monitored by an oil analysis program. Periodic oil analysis should be conducted at the engine manufacturer’s recommended drain intervals. Change the oil filter at the recommended engine manufacturer’s drain intervals

you have got to be nutz to think I will change my mind over a internet opinion based on 10 to 1 in favor for HDEO.
LOL LOL LOL

Look at the add package what would you call the oil . it is basically a single grade oil[ no VIs to stick rings, low ash for combustion chamber deposits]which is optimized for steady state operation with N.G. You are the one that chose N.G. oil to run in a L.P.G. oil
grin2.gif
Nothing at all wrong with the oil 'cept it is not the recommended oil for any forklift or automotive L.P.G or N.G.oil

P.S. over the years I have read all the Amsoil literature no matter how great Amsoil sounds on paper, all I can say it that with any proper oil engines outlast the vehicles. IFact the only engine failure I ever has was with with an 87 Olds running Amsoil which did not prevent the engine failure which was causesdby a manufactures defect odfnot putting on the thingie that keeps the roller cam from walking itself out of the block and into the cam chain cover. I am big enough to say it wasn't amsoils fault /

P.S. over the years I have read all the Amsoil literature no matter how great Amsoil sounds on paper, all I can say it that with any proper oil engines outlast the vehicles. IFact the only engine failure I ever has was with with an 87 Olds running Amsoil which did not prevent the engine failure which was causesdby a manufactures defect odfnot putting on the thingie that keeps the roller cam from walking itself out of the block and into the cam chain cover. I am big enough to say it wasn't amsoils fault /

It is not you being big that is the issue it is the ones who will say they dont believe you, that cast the doubt.
if you were the one who found the cause of failure, that is why you know better, than someone who just says I bought Amsoil and the engine died with nothing else said.
Same type of failure happened to me using Amsoil in my Diesel truck, 5 years no oil change, 40,000 miles I pulled my first sample http://www.voogru.com/images/oil2.jpg
Another 7000 miles and I had found spike in aluminumPPM 7% fuel in the oil and a lower TBN reading, wich sucks cause the other wear metals were trendind down from the above posted UOA.
Ok to the good part here, why did the cylinder score? well here is some more details from my 7.3IDI engine.
I bought the truck 1999 87 F250 7.3 IDI with Banks turbo.
previous owner had engine troubles and replaced block with a new one in 1997.
I blew the head gaskets 2002, removed heads and they are junked, loose guides too many cracks.
I find in a field a utility truck abandoned with a pair of 6.9 diesel heads in the bed, guides are in perfect shape and no cracks, so I fixed them up and threw them on after some modifications to make it fit the 7.3, lasted until 2007 when I found fuel in oil.
Upon further inspection I realized that both heads are surfaced too many times for my Turbo application.
one head is .017 and the other is .022 past the limit.
maybe the cause? maybe.
I also use Evans Coolant wich allows higher operating coolant temps during heavy loads.
Im sure that night I was foot to the floor for 8 miles 125mph racing an idiot just like me caused my piston to swell up and scrape up my cylinder.
you know Im human I make mistakes and Im not afraid to Manup and say I screwed up.
well Now Im almost done with my Diesel engine build that has all the Turbo engine modifications I didn't have before.
you can see my progress here with pics
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f30/7-3-banks-engine-build-201120/

Originally Posted By: Dualie
gotta love the amsoil diehards.

But the advertising said it was the best.

the best oil cannot repair damage already done.
but if you change the oil often it will repair/replace
engines
LOL.gif

I WORKED FOR A CLARK, NISSAN AND DAEWOO DEALER FOR 18 YEARS AND NOW I'M IN PARTERSHIP IN A FORK TRUCK DEALERSHIP SELLING HYUNDAI AND WORLD LIFT TRUCKS WE HAVE ALWAYS USED 10W-30 IN GAS AND LP AND 15W-40 IN THE DIESELS. I WOULD LOVE TO USE AMSOIL IN THE TRUCKS BUT THAT WOULD BE A WASTE SINCE WE HAVE MOST TRUCKS THAT WE SERVICE ARE ON A PLANNED MAINTENANCE PROGRAM. I HAVE KNOWN OF MECHANICS THAT KEEP THE USED OIL DRAINED FROM THE LP TRUCKS AND REUSED IT IN THEIR PERSONAL VEHICLES. OUR SALESMEN ALL USE AMSOIL IN THEIR CARS RUNNING THE 25000 MILES. ONE CAR HAS OVER 200,000 WITH NO PROBLEMS. NEVER USE UOA'S ON ANY OF THEIR CARS THEY ARE HAPPY WITH RESULTS. THEY CANNOT IMAGINE HAVING TO MESS AROUND CHANGING OIL EVERY 5000 MILES, UNPRODUCTIVE TIME.

Regarding this Amsoil label quote:

Note: AMSOIL Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil should not be used in automotive engines that have been modified to use propane or natural gas.

How are fork lift engines different than automotive engines? Why do they say this. I have a follow up question in mind.

The NG oils are designed (as has been previously stated) for large stationary engines fueled on NG, with spark or diesel ignition.

Nothing like a high power density (power/mass) mobile engine.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Note: AMSOIL Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil should not be used in automotive engines that have been modified to use propane or natural gas.

How are fork lift engines different than automotive engines? Why do they say this. I have a follow up question in mind.
The forklift engines are like auto auto engine.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
I WORKED FOR A CLARK, NISSAN AND DAEWOO DEALER FOR 18 YEARS AND NOW I'M IN PARTERSHIP IN A FORK TRUCK DEALERSHIP SELLING HYUNDAI AND WORLD LIFT TRUCKS WE HAVE ALWAYS USED 10W-30 IN GAS AND LP AND 15W-40 IN THE DIESELS. I WOULD LOVE TO USE AMSOIL IN THE TRUCKS BUT THAT WOULD BE A WASTE SINCE WE HAVE MOST TRUCKS THAT WE SERVICE ARE ON A PLANNED MAINTENANCE PROGRAM. I HAVE KNOWN OF MECHANICS THAT KEEP THE USED OIL DRAINED FROM THE LP TRUCKS AND REUSED IT IN THEIR PERSONAL VEHICLES. OUR SALESMEN ALL USE AMSOIL IN THEIR CARS RUNNING THE 25000 MILES. ONE CAR HAS OVER 200,000 WITH NO PROBLEMS. NEVER USE UOA'S ON ANY OF THEIR CARS THEY ARE HAPPY WITH RESULTS. THEY CANNOT IMAGINE HAVING TO MESS AROUND CHANGING OIL EVERY 5000 MILES, UNPRODUCTIVE TIME.
The autos are never inspected in between oil changes?

30 wt oil is recommended from 30*f on up so that is the correct oil .I do not make believe that I am smarter than the manufactures.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

The forklift engines are like auto auto engine.

Steve, the reason I ask is that I maintain a Kohler 17KW back up generator at work that has a small (25hp?) 4 cyl. Ford engine set up on natural gas. They recommended I just use 10W30 automotive oil.

Our institution's generator maintenance guy (50 generators, some diesal, others NG) stopped by today and he said he uses Valvolene 15w40 HDEO in all. I asked about low ash and he said he's never had any problems with his plan.

Makes me wonder about the low ash recommendation.

Because the engines that require the special N.G. oil are huge diesel engines converted to N.G. They run low steady RPM and use a straight visc. low ash oil to help prevent ring sticking and cumbustion chamber deposits. It is more the engine operation than the fuel. Is that the 1600 ohv engine? I hav eseen those engines run in sweepers and other small equipment and they are the engine "basically" that Ford used in the 78 Ford Fiesta, great car and engine as I had one .And also I would guess it the Ford Pinto when they came out the 2 litre was an option.

30 wt oil is recommended from 30*f on up so that is the correct oil .I do not make believe that I am smarter than the manufactures.

this (and your signature) just oozes "logical fallacy"

Is that the 1600 ohv engine? I hav eseen those engines run in sweepers and other small equipment and they are the engine "basically" that

This engine is identified as a VSG 413, 1.3 liter. It's a cute little bugger.

What is the difference in ash content between the low ash specialty oils, SM oil, and HDEO oil?

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander

this (and your signature) just oozes "logical fallacy"
Please enlighten me upon the basis and wisdom of your opinion .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back