Castrol Edge 5w-30 with TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got this back. Not as good as I had hoped......
frown.gif

BlackStone_Castrol_Edge.jpg

Last edited:
There is something in the oil we are not seeing in the VOA. You don't have a TBN of 11.5 without having something special in the mix.

Last edited:
That's a really thin 30-grade... on the verge of 20.

BTW, I don't see anything wrong with that TBN. That's actually higher than GC's TBN.

I was hoping Calcium/Phos/Zinc would be a little higher.

It is way on the low end on Viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Fester
looks alot like GC, anyone compare the two.

Judging by the different specs that they meet, I'd say they're pretty far apart.

For the price of that stuff i'm not too impressed
12.gif
,i thought zinc and calcium would have been higher,TBN is good yea.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Hate to be blunt, but i don't see whats so different between this, and regular Syntec 5W-30. Check out some recent VOA's of Syntec 5W-30:

From 2006: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post478791

From 2007: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post884647

In those, the additive levels, TBN, and visc. are almost the same. I'm hoping the difference is in the base oil, which would need to be stouter to survive 15k miles they guarantee.

There can be alot of things that could make this a great oil that can not be seen in a VOA.

UOAs will tell some more about how this oil is.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

There can be alot of things that could make this a great oil that can not be seen in a VOA.

UOAs will tell some more about how this oil is.

Agreed. It's just a bit premature to judge this oil. I'm withholding judgment on this oil until I see UOA's and more VOA's on this oil. I'd like to see a lot before making a decision..

Last edited:
I was hoping to see higher additive numbers like the Edge 10w-30.
But that test was done at a different lab also.

Last edited:
Between M1 EP and Edge, I'd rather give my money to XOM than BP. Edge may turn out to be a better oil. Time will tell. I'm sure Mobil is working on something even better.

I had my doubts, but what you are looking at here looks like it could be a low viscosity version low SAPS, GF5, euro oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back