Best Picture? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slumdog Millionaire is best movie? really?
I think it's an overrated pile of khrap! Just one of those sub-par, fairy-tale movies showing a foreign country with some scenes for the gallery for those who feel special thinking they saw a "foreign" movie and feel all good about it, with this horribly stupid unrealistic flick.

Btw, I wonder if it has ever happened before that the "best motion picture" was not even nominated for a SINGLE award in the acting categories ...

I am annoyed to see people think that SdM is some rebellious, independent movie that was made by an unknown team : it's not: it's directed by Danny Boyle, a well established (commercially, at least) British director (of some more overrated movies, except perhaps for "Trainspotting") and had ample financial backing.

http://www.culture11.com/diary/36725

...and for some UNDERrated good movies from the same region/background, check out "Monsoon Wedding", "Namesake" and "Turn left at the end of the world" ...far better movies, IMO.

OK then I have another one for you. Lokk for Human Traffic a cult British movie with John Sim one of the world's best actors (remember him from The Lakes, Dr Who, and life on Mars)

I thought it was a great movie... Maybe not best picture, but definitely up there with the best... Any movie that shows a kid falling into a S**T hole is enough reason for me!
LOL.gif

97tbird, I agree with you. It was an OK movie, but I've seen better Hindi movies before. It seems that the only reason this particular one got so much attention is because the director was not an Indian like Mira Nair or Gurinder Chadha.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Briiliant movie, it was always going to win. Not enough action/violence in it for you maybe? Oh and I loved Trainspotting.

i am NOT a fan of high action/violence movies; there are a few GOOD ones i like, BUT:
if you see those movies that I DID recommend in my original post, are they violent or action packed? it's the OPPOSITE almost !

think a bit before you post, at least you should have wiki'd the 3 movies i mentioned before making a comment like that.
Here they are: what kind of movies do you think I like, really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsoon_Wedding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Namesake_(film)
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117924271.html?categoryid=31&cs=1

and don't think i only like movies that deals with a certain region, either; just that these can be compared to SDM, which is set in india.

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
someone is unhappy... and perhaps a sore loser? I presume you think that Heath Ledger got the award because he died?

NO. what the heck does THAT have to do with this? I am a HUGE fan of Ledger, and like pretty much all the movies he's been in, even the lesser known ones, and was rooting for the him to win awards even BEFORE his death !!!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
97tbird, I agree with you. It was an OK movie, but I've seen better Hindi movies before. It seems that the only reason this particular one got so much attention is because the director was not an Indian like Mira Nair or Gurinder Chadha.

I agree; wonder how "indian" this movie really is, anyway. :)
check out "Monsoon Rain" and "The Namesake" if you haven't already ...those are much better (and more) indian / india-related movies that never got the recognition they deserved.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I agree; wonder how "indian" this movie really is, anyway. :)
check out "Monsoon Rain" and "The Namesake" if you haven't already ...those are much better (and more) indian / india-related movies that never got the recognition they deserved.

You mean "Monsoon Wedding"? Yeah, I've seen them both. Heck, I even thought "Bend it like Beckham" was better than Slumdog. :) But that's probably because I'm biased towards Parminder Nagra. :)

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I think we can agree S.M. is not 'Titanic', or 'Gone With the Wind".
In years past, it would only have received a special award.

Titanic, besides the F/X, was just mediocre. I find GWTW pretty much unbearable to watch.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
tbird your a very angry person. What has happened to you?

sorry; I am generally not angry; I apologize if i came over that way
frown.gif

Just in a lot of stress these days; I guess I can take my own advice, and think twice before I post.

sorry, guys. didn't mean any harm.

Emotions and feelings dominate Hollywood, not quality. None of the results surprised me though I only watched about a half hour of the show.

tbird don't take it to heart. I've been struggling lately as everybody knows. We all have our 'ups and downs'. I've been to India so maybe I have more sympatico with the movie than you do, doesn't make it right or wrong though. Cheers.....s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back