YIKES! BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my ACER Laptop when I booted up this morning!
All attempts to boot it ended with another BSOD. Finally go it to boot in safe mode, but while loading the desktop, got another BSOD and rebooted. Tried booting from last good configuration, got BSOD and rebootd. Kreapp!

Shut it down and pulled the drive, put it in a USB case and and plugged it into the desktop. Running diagnostics on it now. If it comes up clean, I'll try to back it up to the desktop C: drive in case I need to format it. If so, I'll go to NTFS.

The drive is formated as fat32. Assuming I don't need to format it, can it be changed to NTFS without losing the files?

The fun never ends.........

You can convert it yes, but it needs to be healthy first. Truthfully its better to format it and start over as NTFS rather than to convert it. What was the BSOD error that you got??

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
On my ACER Laptop when I booted up this morning!
All attempts to boot it ended with another BSOD. Finally go it to boot in safe mode, but while loading the desktop, got another BSOD and rebooted. Tried booting from last good configuration, got BSOD and rebootd. Kreapp!

Shut it down and pulled the drive, put it in a USB case and and plugged it into the desktop. Running diagnostics on it now. If it comes up clean, I'll try to back it up to the desktop C: drive in case I need to format it. If so, I'll go to NTFS.

The drive is formated as fat32. Assuming I don't need to format it, can it be changed to NTFS without losing the files?

The fun never ends.........

While you have it plugged into your desktop, I would copy all your critical and needed files and documents to it. That way you save a step in case you have to reformat or replace the hard drive. How old is the notebook?

Page fault in non-paged area.
***STOP 0X00000050 (0XED77AF35,0X00000000,0X8053CE32,0X00000002)

Forgot to mention, OS is XP Media Center Edition, with SP3.
Looking at the various error messages, it kind of looks like the drive may have developed a bad sector where a bunch of DLL's reside. I'll check Seagate for diagnostic software in case I need it.

I suppose it could be a memory chip also. I just upgraded from 1gb to 2 gb about 6 months ago.

Well, it's up and running after an all day slog... Apparently it was a bad sector. Did a lot of extra testing just to be sure. It's way faster since the HD is cleaned and defragged. So far I've lost 2 apps that will have to be re-installed.

Yawnnnn...
Time for bed.. I'll ring it out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back