Synthetic oil turned to gel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted it was a major brand but deeply discounted. Could have been old?

Anyone else have that happen?

Literally had to squeze it out of the container. Looked like yellow lumpy gelatin.

This is going back a few years. It was PP yellow bottle 5w-30. Age unknown; but probably a couple years old.

Last edited:
PP (Pennzoil Platinum) was never in a yellow bottle, always silver. One of the earlier synthetics was Pennzoil Performax which was an ester based synthetic, but that was a lot more than a couple of years ago.

Do you have this bottle? Share some pictures, maybe what the API spec was, a date code? I've never seen one do that, and I have some pretty old synthetics from the early days in my basement. There all still liquid.

I'm thinking the bottle mistakenly was shipped to the Jello factory where someone dumped out the motor oil, cleaned it out thoroughly, and put in some banana pudding.

Delicious, tasty, creamy banana pudding...

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I'm thinking the bottle mistakenly was shipped to the Jello factory where someone dumped out the motor oil, cleaned it out thoroughly, and put in some banana pudding.

Delicious, tasty, creamy banana pudding...

That last statement reminds me of Old Gregs description of Baileys. lol If you don't know what Old Greg is, look on youtube.

Anyway, back on topic, what kind of environment was the bottle kept in?

Originally Posted By: Pete591
This is going back a few years. It was PP yellow bottle 5w-30. Age unknown; but probably a couple years old.

You didn't have some of Pennzoil's earlier synthetic "with Pennzane, developed by NASA" now, was it?

Sorry I don't have more setails or the bottle etc.

I guess from the feedback that it was a once in a million happenstance.

It was probably from looking for a receipt of a snowblower I bought to use it in when new more like 5 years back. Maybe it was not synthetic?

this happened to me once

i opened a new 4 litre container of MOTUL 300 V 15w50

the oil in the top was like jelly

i rang the rep, he was real quick to come and replace it

AT MY HOUSE !!!

This original post appears to be a phantom from an employee for Mobil-1 who has recently had their over-time hours on the production line slashed?

Quote:
One of the earlier synthetics was Pennzoil Performax which was an ester based synthetic

And I still believe that Pennzoil Performax was the best synthetic available at the time.

I actually had some in early to Mid-2006 that I ran it in various vehicles with great results.

My dad had purchased a boatload of it years before, stored it outside in the heat and cold, and gave it to me in exchange for some Mobil 1; dad wasn't sure it was still viable. The oil was a clear beautiful yellow color and yielded great UOA's. Never was a sealed bottle NOT a liquid.

I think what happened in your case was the seal became broken, some thinner or volatile components evaporated over time, and the oil polymerized.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back