RCR says Filter Exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote from Richard Childress: California NASCAR Race

Richard Childress, team owner for RCR, came down from the track suites to the garage after the race collecting explanations.

"Kevin [Harvick] was really good but he blew an oil filter off, the oil filter blew up," he said.

Thought those engines just used an Oberg inline filter..
54.gif

wow, those are pretty stout filters too. im assuming that they use a cartridge style on one of the dry sump lines like most other teams.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Not sure that a "Wix" logo on the fender actually requires or indicates that a Wix filter was run on the car.

+1 i think most of them use Peterson filters. the Wix thing is just a sponsership deal.

I say it was a Fram. Ever notice in the hot rod type magazines that they will show engines with the orange can of doom on them. Looks racy. Well I have racy looking filters, Baldwin. They are a nice red. Even if the blown filter wasn't a Fram, FuggadaboutFram!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Not sure that a "Wix" logo on the fender actually requires or indicates that a Wix filter was run on the car.

+1 i think most of them use Peterson filters. the Wix thing is just a sponsership deal.

I believe in racing that's called a "contingency". What it means is that it's an open offer to pay a certain amount if you win with the sponsor's sticker on the car.

In other words, if he places 1st, and he had the wix sticker on the car, then Wix will pay him $10,000 (random guess). If not, wix pays him nothing. Same thing goes for the other stickers in my understanding.

Well,if he was using a WIX and it exploded ,I would say he didn't get his contingency fee. :) It cost them the race and a bunch of points.

Jim, exactly. i can guarantee those cars do not use spin on filters. they have 3-5 gallon dry sump tanks behind the driver and use in line filters.

I think you guys are right about the inline filters. I looked at several photos on line of NASCAR engines and haven't seen any external filters.

well theres practice and qualifying on the motors too, so add another 100-200 miles. you're looking at something like 6-7 gallons of oil give or take. they are trying to protect some very expensive valve train components, i have heard that a set of rocker arms are in the $20,000 range.

In other words, if he places 1st, and he had the wix sticker on the car, then Wix will pay him $10,000 (random guess). If not, wix pays him nothing. Same thing goes for the other stickers in my understanding. YEP!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that is it. Except when it comes to racers using Amsoil. Then they do use amsoil cause it is the best. I have to keep our sponsers happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back