Lubrication Engineers LE-1605 110 gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have their following and several UOAs here and on other forums. If that is what you want to use, go for it.

Yes, I'm using it in the rear diff of a 2000 Tundra and a 2004 S2000. I don't have any data to share yet since this is the first fill in both units. I do have a couple of UOA's of LE607 that the 1605 replaced and they were outstanding. Fortunately, I live in a climate that is favorable to use a SAE 110 with a -11F pour point. But even on a hot Texas day, I can hear gear whine in the S2000. Once the temps stay below 70F, like this time of year, there is no whining. If I lived in NE like you, my first choice would probably be AMSOIL SVT 75W-110.

Originally Posted By: bigsteve
Anyone out there using this gear oil, I am thinking about using it in my 01 4x4 Tacoma.

I don't believe I would use this in a Tacoma, especially where your at. They make the following gear oils that are excellent products.

703 - 80W-90 mineral gear oil with a pour point of -27F
9919 - 75W-90 synthetic gear oil with a pour point of -60F
9920 - 75W-140 synthetic gear oil with a pour point of -49F

I would use one of these. Probably the 9919.

LE is one of the worlds most highly respected lube supplliers bar none. Why it is so poorly kmown on BITOG is an enduring mystery. My local fire brigade and ambulance use it and it ain't cheap. Johnny any ideas why so poorly known amongst BITOG cognoscenti but universaly used and respected?

LE doesn't market their products to the typical BITOGer. Fleet and industrial customers are their bread and butter. Tribologists are well aware of their products and don't hesitate to recommend them. If you want to buy LE1605, the smallest quantity you can order is a case of 24 quarts. Same with engine oils. Most BITOGer's that want to try a new oil are looking for just enough to fill the sump a time or two. That's where the problem lies, IMO.

Thanks for the link. Do you know if these gear oils are the Duolec series? I can't tell much from the site.

I know of two websites that sell 1605 by the quart, but they aren't site sponsors so I won't list them.

I purchased 3 qt of the LE 1605 from Ricks Specialties and only paid 7 bucks for shipping.

Also if all the toyota trucks etc that are shipped to New England have straight 90 gear oil in them from the factory why doesn't Toyota have problems with these trucks in the colder climates?

SAE 90 is recommended down to 0F. Below 0F, they recommend 80W-90. I would personally use this cutoff with 1605 (SAE 110) too. This was all before J306 though and for the rear diff only. I don't know what they are recommending now for their newer trucks.

I've purchased from Rick's before. They have the best prices for single quarts. My Tundra takes 3.5 quarts. Did you order enough? You might check with LE to find out who orders 1605 by the case in your area. That's what I did and lucked out.

If it wasn't for BITOG, I don't think I'd ever know about Lubrication Engineers ... or Schaeffer.

If Toyota is shipping trucks with straight 90 in the diffs, they are probably figuring it's good and stable enough for most uses in most of the country most of the time.

But that doesn't make it the best choice. And since you're going to the trouble of buying Lubrication Engineers, I assume you want really "top shelf" stuff ... the very best for your application?

For Massachusetts? I would definitely go with the 75W-90.

OK ... and your rationale for going with the thicker oil is that your diffs are nearly a decade old and you want to make sure they stay lubricated and quiet?

If that's it ... OK, I think that'd be a good choice assuming the pour point is well below zero.

I'm having a hard time finding LE-1605on their website. Is it like their 703-704??

INDYMAC, I navigated as you say ... still couldn't find it.

Can you post a link?

And why wouldn't you merely use one of their automotive gear oils?

Thanks Johnny.

I'd still go with an automotive gear oil rather than second-guessing the good folks at L.E.

Seems an odd choice and I'm not crazy about that pour point of -11F for year-round use in Massachusetts. RP's 75W-90 has a published pour point of -54F and even their 80W-90 has a pour point of -33F. There's no reason to have your diffs fighting this stuff first thing in the morning for 6-7 months out of the year.

I'd probably go with LE 9919 75W-90 ... with a pour point -60F if I were choosing a LE product.

http://www.le-inc.com/products.jsp?productID=250

Even the 9920 (75W-140) has a pour point of -49F.

I agree too. If you live in an artic climate, then LE 1605 is not the best choice. If you live in the south like I do (light frost is the worst we get), then a straight SAE 110 like 1605 offers the best protection you can get. I apologize if you thought I had recommended 1605 for MA.

You have to remember that 1605 is designed for heavy equipment that rarely shuts down. That in itself should tell you how well it is made. Then, if you look at how well it performs on tests for gear oils, only you can determine whether you actually need a product of this high a caliber for your rear differential.

For the record, I would use AMSOIL SVT 75W-110 instead of 1605 if I lived up north. I would like to see some test results for it soon though. It's been out long enough now.

Last edited:
INDYMAC, if the truck in question came with a SAE 90 gear oil, why would it not be better to use the LE 1604 gear oil, or would it make any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back