Schaeffer's 15W-40, 7.3L Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
6,900 miles on the oil. Very happy with these results. The previous sample from July has about 5,000 miles towing a 31' 5th wheel.

wboilanalysis4.jpg

That's a nice report. I would run it out to 10K and on the next sample and ask them for a TBN reading.

What year model Ford is this and how long have you been using Schaeffer's in it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
That's a nice report. I would run it out to 10K and on the next sample and ask them for a TBN reading.

What year model Ford is this and how long have you been using Schaeffer's in it?

Johnny. It is a 2003 F-250, 7.3L Diesel with Swamps Stage I injectors, T Wildman performance chip (+125 hp), and some other mods. Truck tows great now with the extra HP.

I've beeen running Schaeffer's series 7000 15W-40 for 2 years and @ 50K miles. I have been very happy with my UOA reports running schaeffers.

The 7.3 [last refinements]so far seems to be the pinnicle of quality of the engines that Ford has installed in their pickups so far.

Originally Posted By: White_Buffalo
Johnny. It is a 2003 F-250, 7.3L Diesel

You got the last of the good ones, nice.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: White_Buffalo
Johnny. It is a 2003 F-250, 7.3L Diesel

You got the last of the good ones, nice.

I sure got lucky - found it used with 24K miles.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Nice UOA and nice rig too!
I've got an 06 6.0L that I bought used back in November.

I'm not too thrilled with it at present.

I have a 2006 6.0l too. (I replyed to your MC oil thread)

You have to have very clean oil (synthetic is my preferance) and very clean/good quality (high cetane level) fuel in these motors, or you may have problems. Let me know if you have any questions. I have 50,000 trouble free miles on mine. I bought it new, and understand what it takes to make the motor last and operate great.

Check out thedieselgarage.com, thedieselstop.com, and powerstrokehelp.com

powerstrokehelp.com is where I would start. Bill has videos, that explain ALOT!!

Yes, I have watched all the help videos of that guy on powerstroke help. He obviously has one heck of a shop in Georgia. I love his FUBAR videos.

I do frequent powerstroke.org for advice and research purposes.

I just had my EGR cooler and oil cooler replaced under warranty and I'm having the same problem again. I'm taking it in next Tuesday to another local shop for diagnosis. I hope it not the heads or headgaskets.

RL

Yes, I have watched all the help videos of that guy on powerstroke help. He obviously has one heck of a shop in Georgia. I love his FUBAR videos.

I just had my EGR cooler and oil cooler replaced under warranty and I'm having the same problem again. I'm taking it in next Tuesday to another local shop for diagnosis. I hope it not the heads or headgaskets.

RL

Do you have a coolant filter?

There appears to be a ton of stuff, like block casting sand, floating around in the coolant system.

This debris plugs up the oil cooler which causes no coolant flow to the EGR cooler and the Egr cooler breaks due to the excessive heat. The oil cooler/Egr cooler are in series.

Put on a coolant filter. Dieselsite.com sells them.

Make sure you use the Ford coolant or (Zerex G-05) only. If you mix coolants it will cause an emulsion.

I think I would trade that 06 in on a new 09 that has the 6.4L. They seem to have solved the 6.0L problems. To this day I do not understand why Ford got rid of the 7.3L. When Chrysler's credit runs out, Ford should start buying engines from Cummins.

Oh Johnny if you are correct the Truck folks will be in Hog heaven.Ford Frame...Cummins engine...now all Ford needs is an Allison.

Originally Posted By: 1OilLover

RL

Do you have a coolant filter?

There appears to be a ton of stuff, like block casting sand, floating around in the coolant system.

This debris plugs up the oil cooler which causes no coolant flow to the EGR cooler and the Egr cooler breaks due to the excessive heat. The oil cooler/Egr cooler are in series.

Put on a coolant filter. Dieselsite.com sells them.

Make sure you use the Ford coolant or (Zerex G-05) only. If you mix coolants it will cause an emulsion.

That's what bothers me about the 6.0L. I did my research and homework when I bought mine used. I figured most of the problems with the 6.0L where worked out by 06 and 07. When I bought it in November it had 84k miles mostly highway miles pulling a small enclosed tool trailer.

The 6.0L shouldn't need a coolant filter to prevent EGR problems. I've contemplated getting one.

The 6.0L shouldn't need a bypass filter to filter the oil better. The full flow filter should do that. I've contemplated getting one of those too.

I've decided to NOT buy either one b/c the truck should have been made to NOT need those things to properly last. I'll continue to use MC oil, MC or OEM oil and fuel filters and if it doesn't make it, oh well. Shame on Ford for continuing the relationship with Navistar who made those motors.

When my EGR was replaced, they re-filled with Motorcraft Premium Gold. And yes, Zerex G-05 is an OK substitute.

I think I would trade that 06 in on a new 09 that has the 6.4L. They seem to have solved the 6.0L problems. To this day I do not understand why Ford got rid of the 7.3L. When Chrysler's credit runs out, Ford should start buying engines from Cummins.

Well, they solved the problems by not making the 6.0L anymore. The 6.4L is a totally different beast. I've looked under the hood of one and was SHOCKED at how electronically controlled everything is. FORGET ever wrenching on one. The cab has to be removed to do just about anything.

The last of the 7.3L was so perfect. My bro-in-law has an 01 model. He's got 140k on the odometer with very little problems. It pulls nice and steady.

From what I've researched, the 6.0L was rushed into production due to EMISSIONS control. And for that reason only. I tried like [censored] to find an 03 7.3L with less than 100k miles and was in good shape, but I had no luck. I settled for a later model 6.0L (I was gunning for an 06 or 07).

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Oh Johnny if you are correct the Truck folks will be in Hog heaven.Ford Frame...Cummins engine...now all Ford needs is an Allison.

U bet! I've read some articles and have actually seen pics of a 5.9L Cummins in place of the 6.0L. It looked pretty cool.

I've got the 5speed (actually 6) Torqshift tranny and from what I can tell its a very bulletproof tranny.

Drop an older model 5.9L Cummins or even an old 12 valve in mine and you've got a winning combination. Not sure about the Allison tranny. I've read mixed reviews.

Well, when GM's credit runs out, Ford can buy the Allison Division from them. See, things are looking up, at least for the truck world.

Hey, and they can all be factory filled with Schaeffer's products.
grin2.gif

grin2.gif

grin2.gif
The low cost bidder thang usually trips us up however.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: salesrep

grin2.gif

grin2.gif
The low cost bidder thang usually trips us up however.
wink.gif

OUCH ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back