How much additive should i use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a few bottles of gumout gas treatment. What i find a tad confusing, is directions say it treats up to 21 gallons, its in a 12 oz. bottle. MY neon holds 8 gallons of gas..SO! Would i regardless, use the entire 12 oz. bottle in 8 gallons? Or..use like 4 to 6 ozs?

Hey Johnny, thanks:) So, i should use so much gumout for half the amount of gas? I mean, wouldnt that be overkill?

LOl johnny, i bet:) I bought Gumout red bottle gas additive. Main reason, is because my 95 neon runs much smoother on CITGO gas, but i know it known for having not such a good ad pck in its gas..so i bouoght some gumout red bottles. Also seems to like kwik star and mobil gas too...not so smooth on shell gas..odd how some cars like/dislike certain brands, isnt it?

I was thining of going with half the bottle, 6 ozs. to 8 gallons..but! figured ide ask the pros here, see if its not enuogh additive, too much maybe?

The red bottle product is not really that strong, so I would go ahead and pour the whole bottle in there. Now if you were using the REGANE I might suggest 1/2 bottle.

Johnny, your the best man:) Well, a month ago, i ran an entire bottle of regaine wth about 7 1/2 gallons of gas. I also ran 2 cans of berryman B 12, becuae i had read about it here, and was curious and all..2 cans of berryman made the car run smooth as butter!
It made me think too, because 4 or 5 times over the years, i had run stp gas treatment with mobil gas, on about 10 gallons max. EVERY time i used stp gas treatment, no lie, my oil light would go on, and car would want to stall. Ide stop using it, and car would run fine. So, another reason why i was curious about the gumout gas treatment.

Also, if it was designed to run up to 21 gallons, wouldn't using less of it, make more sense, for a less gallon capacity tank?

Not really. You want it to clean and it does that best if you use the whole bottle. For using REGANE, when the tank is almost empty, pour in the whole bottle and fill it up and let it do its job. Run the tank low before you fill up again. You only have to use REGANE every 4-K for it to keep things clean. Pouring in two bottles of Berryman was overkill but it sounds like you needed it.

The cheaper additives like STP red and white bottle and Gumout white and red bottles are mainly a waste of money. About all they are good for is water displacement. They do very little cleaning. The products like REGANE, Techron, Amsoil PI, etc do a much better job of actually cleaning anything and you only add them ever 4-5K, not every fill up.

I believe that Johnny is talking about the Gumout Regane COMPLETE Fuel system cleaner. Yellow fluid in a clear bottle. About $7.xx at Wally's.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I believe that Johnny is talking about the Gumout Regane COMPLETE Fuel system cleaner. Yellow fluid in a clear bottle. About $7.xx at Wally's.

$4.94 here

Smallest tank I have seen is 10.5. It may show below E when you are 8 gal down but the tank's has to hold more than that...

Originally Posted By: ziggy
Johnny, your the best man:) Well, a month ago, i ran an entire bottle of regaine wth about 7 1/2 gallons of gas. I also ran 2 cans of berryman B 12, becuae i had read about it here, and was curious and all..2 cans of berryman made the car run smooth as butter!
It made me think too, because 4 or 5 times over the years, i had run stp gas treatment with mobil gas, on about 10 gallons max. EVERY time i used stp gas treatment, no lie, my oil light would go on, and car would want to stall. Ide stop using it, and car would run fine. So, another reason why i was curious about the gumout gas treatment.

Did the light come on, and then the car ran like [censored] or did it run like [censored] causing the oil light to come on?

The low oil pressure light energizes only when the oil pressure is down to nil. The light pretty much tells you that something is very wrong, and if you don't pull over very quickly and shut down the motor you'll be looking for a new motor or a new car very soon.

However, if your car was running like [censored], and near-stalling, the oil pump would also slow down to the point that the pressure would drop to the low oil pressure light pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back