How much extra is "overfilling" an engine considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dipstick was reading a half quart low after a reading. I added a 1/2 quart and now the reading is an 1/8 of an inch or so above the max line. Is this some thing to be concerned about? When the manufacturers warn about overfilling, is it in reality a much larger amount they are talking about?

Go by your owner's manual... specifically your engine numbers. Wrong dipsticks in new vehicles are rare... but it happens.

My last two GMs show a 1/2 quart low on the dipstick after I checked the manual thoroughly. I won't go beyond that. After putting in what the owners manual requested (including filter), I know the full mark is 1/2 way between the top line and bottom "Add" line.

Good enough for me & my 6-qt capacity. If the manufacturer wanted us to add 6-1/2 qts instead of 6 to reach the top line on the dipstick, I'm sure they would of recommended 6-1/2 in the manual.... not 6.

Running an extra 1/4 to 1/3 quart above the stated capacity is not a problem. The issue is whether the oil is foaming in the crankcase & this would show up as bubbles on the dipstick, during a hot level check.

A common report we get here is of a quickie lube that has filled a 4.5 quart or 5.5 quart system to the next highest full quart level. Happens on a regular basis, no reason for concern!
smile.gif

Many motors can take a qt over with no problems but there's no way of telling if yours is one. I wouldn't worry about 1/8" over as a manufacturer will build in some fudge factor for us consumers. You can check your dip stick for bubbles after a drive to see if the crank is hitting the oil reservoir.

I wouldn't worry. As soo n as you start the engine the oil level inside the CC goes down as the oil is pumped to the top of the engine. At highway speeds it drops even lower. Unless there is foaming it is nothing to worry about as most newer engines have a full baffle plate below the crank.

quote:

Originally posted by goodvibes:
Many motors can take a qt over with no problems but there's no way of telling if yours is one. I wouldn't worry about 1/8" over as a manufacturer will build in some fudge factor for us consumers. You can check your dip stick for bubbles after a drive to see if the crank is hitting the oil reservoir.

That's what I was thinking; the "fudge factor" that is built in. There's got to be a little leeway there.

If you ever have an opportunity to drop the oil pan on your engine or transmission, take a look at where the dipstick lay. Note the marks in relation to the sump. On one of my cars there is at almost an inch between the high mark on the engine dipstick and the bottom of the crank baffle.

As someone pointed out, oil level drops once the engine is running anyway. Personally, I prefer to overfill slightly. Hey, I'm American--supersize me.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
If the manufacturer wanted us to add 6-1/2 qts instead of 6 to reach the top line on the dipstick, I'm sure they would of recommended 6-1/2 in the manual.... not 6.

Are you SURE about that? Are you really SURE??
I think what manufactures "recommend" and do defies logic very often. A good example is GM's persistance in putting crappy 10-bolt rear ends on F-bodies. Fords reluctance to upgrade the rear axles upsetted many Mustang owners......at least the old 5.0's.

Anyway, getting back to the oil issue, Chevrolet "recommends" Corvette owners overfill by 1qt when roadracing and autocrossing, yet they don't permanently state to add the extra quart when changing the oil. Beats me!

Always overfill by 1qt in my Z28.....~1/2qt in wifey's Corrola. No problems with aeretion!

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Always overfill by 1qt in my Z28.....~1/2qt in wifey's Corrola. No problems with aeretion!

Ditto for me! I put 1/2 quart more in my wife's 2000 Civic and one extra quart in my C5 Corvette. I have had no problems with this practice.

quote:

Anyway, getting back to the oil issue, Chevrolet "recommends" Corvette owners overfill by 1qt when roadracing and autocrossing, yet they don't permanently state to add the extra quart when changing the oil. Beats me!

Yeah, I read that too, there is a part after that which says to drain the extra quart once you are done. I would just leave it in there myself.

I know a few people who's cars consume oil and they overfill a quart when they change their oil so they "don't forget to check it", I think what they are doing is bad practice because they don't even look at the oil until the next time they change it.

In a 4 quart sump or larger sump there would have to have a fudge factor for overfill around 1/2 quart, but I wouldn't doubt that some/most could be a quart over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back