2002 Hyunda Santa Fe 2.7L v6 Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first oil analysis for my 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 2.7L v6 engine using Supertech 10w-30 conventional motor oil with 3oz of Auto-Rx.
d60765vk7.jpg

Last edited:
Why would Blackstone recommend a longer OCI next time when the oil is near rock bottom?

I mean, this oil is obviously coughing and sputtering across the finish line after 5100 miles, and they're saying to try and go another 2500 miles on it next time? In what world does that make sense?

I agree with the above post.

However, if you went to another make, like YB, that had a more robust add pack I bet that you can do the extra 2500 miles and then some.

ST conventional oil is kinda known to be a 4000 mile oil. It just dosent have the more expensive add pack that others do.

I agree that the TBN is low so I called Blackstone labs to get some clarification. The typical TBN of virgin ST oil ranges from 10.5 to 12. The performance of the add pack is not reduced even though the TBN is at 1.8. I asked if the TBN went to 0.5 at 7500 miles if there would be a problem. The answer was no. I also told him that I use the ST oil filters and he stated a lot of guys that work there use the ST oil and filters. If that is good enough for them and they do this for a living then it is good enough for me.

As far as the add pack being of lower quality I read on blackstones site about store brand oils vs. name brand and this is their take on it:

"You can go into any mass retailer (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Meijer, etc.) that sells engine oil and buy a 10W/30 (or any other preferred grade) that will perform well in your engine. One of the best-kept secrets of the oil industry is that these store brands are actually the same, quality oils that are produced by the major oil companies. The only difference between these products and the major company brands is the name on the container and about 50¢ a quart".

Each can decide for themselves but I trust the pros.

Pemdas, any reasonable person could look and see that this oil is completely spent. I wouldn't care if the president of Warren Oil told me it would go another 2500 miles, I'd tell him he was crazy.

But, hey, it's your vehicle, if you want to blindly "trust the pros" and run it another 2500 miles, be my guest. But you'd be foolish to do so, IMO.

Blackstone has some quirky ideas about things, that's for sure.

Good luck :)

Nice run as it is - I'm impressed with the Flashpoint for a budget oil!

I'd keep the interval between 5-6k miles myself. But engine will still live a long like if you take it to 7500....

hate2work, I think saying that i am blindly "trusting the pros" is not accurate. I took the time to call and research. Where did you come up with the scientific fact that ST is a 4000 mile oil? Is it because it is bottled by a distributor for Walmart vs the same distributor bottling the same crp and calling it Valvoline and then suddenly Valvoline will last longer? In reality every engine will break the oil down at different rates. There is no doubt that certain brands have different add packs and will hold up differently depending on the engine but I am sure there are multiple brands with the same exact additives with simply a different label on them bottled by the same distributor and charging more for one vs the other.
I paid for a TBN to find out if I can do extended OCI's. If Blackstone is telling me I can confidently go 7500 miles on ST then that is why I paid a professional lab to give me that answer. If you are running a lab of your own let me know.

Pemdas, you're the one who said you were going to "trust the pros", I was just quoting you.

And it was Superdave who said he thought ST oils were good for 4000 miles, not me.

It's just hard for me to believe that someone needs to squeeze that much more out of their oil, at the very real possibility of doing harm to his engine. But, like I said, it's your vehicle.

Again, good luck :)

If it were me and I was trying to push the limits, I don't think I would go to 7500 next time, maybe 6200-6300 and retest. Moly and calcium levels are decent, wear isn't bad...it would be interesting to see this oil go another 1k (but not in my engine).

Don't feel bad : I ran Amsoil TSO 0W30 in my Chrysler 2.7 for 7600 miles and it was shot. Plenty of TBN left and the wear numbers weren't all that bad, but the oxidation and nitration were past the point of the oil needing a change.

TBN is not the only or best indicator of oil life. There are other things.

As far as Blackstone's recommendations, I have very little faith in them based reviewing the many reports that have been posted here. I see very little depth or expertise in them; the same phrases being parroted over and over again. And here we have an oil whose TBN is approaching the lower limit, and Blackstone recommends running it 50% longer !(?)

I'd be very surprised if the TBN of virgin ST is in the 10.5 - 12 range. 7 or 8 would be typical, as it is with most consumer grade conventional oils. Amsoil or Mobil 1 HM 10W30 - yes, they're certainly in the 10 - 12 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back