Longest lasting engine/Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dualie
Originally Posted By: HM12460
mid/full size, 1990-94, fwd general motors car with a 3800 engine.

surely this cant be a serious post?

Probably not. Those engines were bulletproof. Too bad they were usually hooked up to lousy auto transmissions that went out every 100k miles. After the first tranny was replaced, the second cost twice what the car was worth, by then.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

Probably not. Those engines were bulletproof. Too bad they were usually hooked up to lousy auto transmissions that went out every 100k miles. After the first tranny was replaced, the second cost twice what the car was worth, by then.
sadly true.

Actually the 3800 is a pretty bullet proof engine, especially during these years when they had aluminum upper intake manifolds. Plenty of 300,000+ mile examples.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: mormit
Cop shocks, Cop suspension, Cop steering.....

Four hundred and forty cubic inch plant....

And a half pack of Marlboros.

Catalytic convertors removed so it'll run real good on regular gas...
cool.gif

ahem...

M10 & M30 BMW engines are known to run nearly forever. Overbuilt bottom ends and short-stroke oversquare configuration make them bulletproof and long-wearing, as long as you keep the valves adjusted and don't overheat them.

I had a '91 Olds 98 that was a great car until about 80k miles then it literally started to fall apart. All kinds of problems, one right after another. GM products are not likely in my future.

there are a couple million mile gm v8 around. so the 305 and 350 probably belong on the list. As my understanding that the 305 and 350 are very similar to each other.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Liquid_Turbo said:
Name what you think to be the longest lasting engine or car!

My pick is the H22A of the 1990s from the Honda. Known to churn out 400+ miles!

400 whole miles? wow. I think the PRV V6 might have that one beat!

quote]

Nearly 1,000,000 PRV V6's were built from 1974 to the mid 90's. Only the earliest models had cam lobe wear problems. Many of them are still running all over Europe with tons of miles on them.... Later versions take lots of hp, twin turbos, and are very reliable.

Andy

TOYOTA 1.6 ltr. engine used in the COROLLAs and Chevy NOVAs ( PRIZM ) . The '86 NOVA 4 door liftback went for 270,000 + miles before it had to be junked . This was used for delivery for many years for 365 days of the year . Used PENNZOIL and some VALVOLINE 10w-30 most of its life on the road . Tried to change about every 3,500 miles . Great transmission too . Best car we ever owned . We had another NOVA with 5 speed manual for short period too , sold it and that ran for well over 200,000 miles . Would see it and the owner on occasion and ask how many miles were on it . Kick ourselves in the rear for letting that one go . Still see a few of 'em on the road . Amazing vehicle , much better than todays TOYOs .

Last edited:
The 22-RE engines in Toyota PU's in the 80's and 90's were mighty stout. Put a 180K on a 91 version and it was still like a new motor. OCI's every 3K or so with Pennzoil 10-30 and Orange cans of doom was all it ever needed. The valves were only adjusted once at 35K. Its life was taken by a tailgater.
15.gif

I have to give props to the Tacoma 3.4L. Getting close to 95K isnt considered long lasting but at this rate it could be....now that i jink-st myself.

Based on what I've seen over the years (gasoline powered engines):

- Ford 4.6L V8 (as found in the Crown Vic et al)
- Ford 5.0L V8 (as found in older Crown Vics and Mustang LX's)
- Ford 5.4L Triton V8 (as found in the Expedition et al)
- Chevrolet 305 Small Block (5.0L as found in the Caprice)
- Chevrolet 350 Small Block (5.7L as found in the Caprice)
- Mercedes-Benz 5.0L V8 (as found in the W126 and W140 S-Class)
- Toyota 1UZ-FE (4.0L found in the Lexus LS400)
- Toyota 2UZ-FE (4.7L found in the Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470)
- Toyota 3UZ-FE (4.3L found in the Lexus LS430)
- Toyota 1MZ-FE (3.0L found in the Lexus ES300 - sludge was never an issue with this engine in the Middle East)
- Toyota 1ZZ-FE (1.8L found in the Corolla and Lotus Elise)
- Toyota 7M-GE (3.0L I6 found in the Cressida)
- Mitsubishi 6G72 (3.0L found in numerous applications)
- Mitsubishi 4G64 (2.4L found in numerous applications)
- Mitsubishi 4G18 (1.6L found in the Lancer)
- Nissan VQ30DE (3.0L found in the Maxima)
- Nissan VQ35DE (3.5L found in the Pathfinder, 350Z, etc.)
- Nissan SR20DE (2.0L found in Primera)
- Nissan TB48DE (4.8L I6 found in the Patrol)
- Nissan KA24DE (2.4L found in Middle East Nissan pick ups)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back