Thoughts on McCulloch Chainsaws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a cheap saw, we've got two poulans that are getting up there in age now that have cut waaaaay more trees down than I ever want to remember. (Birch, Aspen, Norway Pine, Jack Pine, mixed hardwoods) The memories of heating two houses and the cabin with firewood as well as storm cleanup for many many years will do that. Yes, they suck to start, but once they are running, they haven't missed a beat for us. (And yes, they are many years old now).

Can't comment on new saws, as these guys are getting old... and still working hard!

FWIW, McCulloch went belly up years ago and the NA interests were sold to a Taiwanese Corp, the Italian factory and name for the rest of the world was sold to Electrolux who at that stage owned Husqvarna, Poulan, etc.

Husky was divested a couple of years ago and has since bought the Mac rights for the US too, so Husky actually owns Mc.

IMO the home owner saws of Husky and Stihl are pretty average too, you get what you pay for, so if you can swing for a pro spec saw, any of Husky, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Dolmar (Makita), Solo, Echo, Oleo Mac, etc. are good saws

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I think I'm going to go with the Echo.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stor...uctId=100614627

Looks good. Echo products, from what I've read, seem to be good quality. My Echo weed trimmer has been flawless FWIW. IMO, as long as you're not working this thing 8 hours a day, it will last many, many years. The 5 year consumer warranty is nice, too. Go for it!!!

Just out of curiosity, have you checked any pawn shops for used Stihl saws?

I have an 18 year old ECHO EVL 750 that finally quit running last year. The carb finally needs a re-build. However, I replaced it with a MS 460 Stihl and have never looked back. I tend to buy commercial equipment. It will cost you more up front, but it will do more work and last longer than the light duty homeowner classed equipment does. But then again, I tend to use my chain saws a lot. I have a Stihl 026 for smaller tree cutting and it has been a very good saw and was resonably priced.

I dont think you will go wrong with an Echo either. I do run 2 stihl saws. The 028 Woodboss well my grandpap bought the saw almost new condition for 50.00 NO JOKE this was in the early 90's. Guy he bought it from said it was not oiling the chain. That was my first lesson in looking at the simple things... put the saw on the bench, opened the oil cap, and it was bone dry, put some 30wt in the saw to test it. fired it up, and since 1991 ish has been pumping oil just fine. I have used the saw since I was 14, cutting around 6 cords of wood plus per year i am 30 now. Only problem was a 7.00 fuel line that turned to taffey from new style gas.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick

IMO the home owner saws of Husky and Stihl are pretty average too, you get what you pay for, so if you can swing for a pro spec saw, any of Husky, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Dolmar (Makita), Solo, Echo, Oleo Mac, etc. are good saws

The brands you mention are quality products, and pro seris saws are better,but this guy is debating buying a Mac. You honestly can't compare a Mac or Poulan to any of the brands you listed homeowners saws, can you? While your statement is true, it may not be the perspective of the average homeowner.....Pro series are for guys that run them all the time. Not three times a year.

Average is better than junk. I just bought Stihl MS 290 and MS 250. While not an 026 or 044, they are light years Ahead of the JUNK poulans and macs I have owned (by being cheap).Also, the MS 270 has a better power to weight ratio than either of the two I bought. I cut 6+ cords a year for shop use and farm clean up. About average for rural and much more than surburban. These have handled everything Ike and the ice storm could throw at me. I do not believe a surburban homeowner needs a $450+ pro series saw. You can find a Farm boss Stihl or Rancher Husky for 3 bills, that will cut everything in suburbia an it's fringes.

If money is tight, I would think he would be well served to spend a $100 more than the Mac/Poulan on a Husky/stihl homeowner saw. I speak from experience. A pro saw may be a luxury. The ultimate decision would be if he WANTS a pro saw and his wife will let him
LOL.gif
The dark force that controls my toy purchases, has not allowed me that luxury.
06.gif

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

Just out of curiosity, have you checked any pawn shops for used Stihl saws?
No. Buying something used that needs the oil and gas mixed scares me. I don't trust someone else to do it properly or to have used a clean can.

Paranoid I guess.

Originally Posted By: Allan_G
I dont think you will go wrong with an Echo either. I do run 2 stihl saws. The 028 Woodboss well my grandpap bought the saw almost new condition for 50.00 NO JOKE this was in the early 90's. Guy he bought it from said it was not oiling the chain. That was my first lesson in looking at the simple things... put the saw on the bench, opened the oil cap, and it was bone dry, put some 30wt in the saw to test it. fired it up, and since 1991 ish has been pumping oil just fine. I have used the saw since I was 14, cutting around 6 cords of wood plus per year i am 30 now. Only problem was a 7.00 fuel line that turned to taffey from new style gas.
That is lots of wood.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Is it still true the Stihl saws require you to buy Stihl replacement chains from Stihl?
Steve

Are you joking? (still/Stihl/Stihl, etc..)
grin2.gif

I don't want to be all serious and say "of course not, you can buy a chain from anywhere as long as it's the proper pitch, gauge, number of links, etc..", and find out you're just making a play on words.
shocked2.gif

Go buy yourself a Stihl 170. I have had a few different saws and let me tell ya, just buy a Stihl and be done with it. For under 200 bucks you can buy a saw and a spare chain. This saw will last you for many years. I have a couple 170's and a couple 017's (which are the same saw, just older) used them day in and out and they keep on goin. Keep a sharp chain on them and they keep cutting. I have tried going the save a few bucks route before but believe me when you buy cheap tools they just dont last and you end up buying the "good stuff" anyway

I keep saying it. STIHL makes the best chains. The difference is quite significant. In fact, it is enough that I would not consider any other brand of chain, ever. Sure, there are "pro" brands and "niche" chains that work as well. Good luck finding one when you need it.

Get a Stihl, that takes a Stihl chain and be done with it! Sure the Echo has a great engine. Just like the Husky. With an Oregon (junk) chain. Don't bother.

Chris

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I keep saying it. STIHL makes the best chains. The difference is quite significant. In fact, it is enough that I would not consider any other brand of chain, ever. Sure, there are "pro" brands and "niche" chains that work as well. Good luck finding one when you need it.

Get a Stihl, that takes a Stihl chain and be done with it! Sure the Echo has a great engine. Just like the Husky. With an Oregon (junk) chain. Don't bother.

Chris

LOL.gif
You can run whatever brand chain on whatever brand saw if it's the right pitch and length
smirk2.gif

Having the chain sharp is far more important than the brand of chain (at least if it's from one of the big four, Carlton, Oregon, Stihl and Windsor), and having the right style of cutter for the timber and conditions is probably more important. eg. no one around here runs full chisel, at least not if you don't want to have to stop half way through a cut to re-sharpen. The timber is too hard and has too much silica for a full chisel chain to last.

And FWIW, I'll take a Carlton semi-chisel chain over a Stihl semi-chisel for hardwood, and I have Stihl, Carlton and Oregon chains.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
tdi-rick said:
A pro saw may be a luxury. The ultimate decision would be if he WANTS a pro saw and his wife will let him
LOL.gif
The dark force that controls my toy purchases, has not allowed me that luxury.
06.gif

LOL.gif
Good points.

Funny you should mention your Homelite is a piece of junk. My father went through a saw every year and half for about 6 years until he bought his Homelite, after 15 years he's figuring one more season left in it. The Jonsered was the beast held up second best, the flimsy jug design is was eventually made him give that one away, replaced a jug every year for 3 years, the handle mounts to it and breaks the jug due to the vibration. Just don't ask him about the models he bought from Sears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back