Old synthetic oil in the engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car was built in Nov. of 2007 it is now Feb. of 2009 and my Mercedes has 1500 miles on it. I just bought it in Dec. of 2008 with 20 miles on it. The dealer/mechanic claims that I don't need to have the oil and filter changed until 1 year and or 12K miles from the date that I bought the car. He also stated that the high grade synthetic they put in the Mercedes Benz's engine is fine setting in a unused engine for 4-5 years. I plan on having it changed before next Dec. but I would like to wait until I get about 4-5K miles on the car/oil which will be around May of this year. Thoughts???

This is not an unusual predicament... for cars to sit idle on ships, in ports and dealer lots. UOAs come back good at the breathtankingly long 5000 mile first change interval... despite the temptation of many to "get the shavings out" etc.

As long as your 1500 miles are put on >10 miles at a time, you're not soaking the oil with condensation that leads to acid...

Most would want to do a relatively short run on FF and if it's that old, piece of mind is worth something. I'm going to guess a Merc is more broken in to start, so maybe less need to make it to short. Is the FF Mobil? can go years on this. Do you get a maintanence program, or is it pay as you go? I would just change it at 3-6 months and the go with the 1 yr./12k miles thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back